Should analytics be banned from normal everyday threads?

LGR4GM

Analytics on the Main Forum  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of removing analytics discussions and use from the Main Forum of Sabrespace?

• Yes, it should be discussed elsewhere
    • No, it adds to the main forum
  2. 2. Are you in favor of posters who use analytics on the Main Forum being banned for using advanced statistics?

3. 3. Should analytics still exist on the Main Forum but solely in their own dedicated thread?

45 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Most of the time, though, I just want to listen to the music and don't want to be told I'm an idiot for not reading the score.

This is the part I object to more than anything else.  When the Sabres win and the stats wizards announce the unsustainability of it, so we really shouldn't enjoy the win.  The wet blanket effect.

Edited by Doohickie

32 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The trick is that there are some fans who don't even want to see people talking about the score.

I don't mind people talking about the analytics; I *do* mind said people telling me how I should feel about them.

Edited by Doohickie

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You can't tell me, though, that when AS are often mentioned here, that there isn't also a condescending overtone attached to them. Which is ironic because as they stand today, ASs are flawed and incomplete.

There.  That's it.  What's what I mean by "telling me how to feel."  There's a condescending overtone that poo-poos the win because the stats say we should have lost.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Again, this isn't even a thing. You're literally making up some perceived attack. 

It's the condescending part.

I will admit that the people talking stats don't realize they're doing it, but you could see it in the thread:  What a great game!  We won!  YEAH, BUT IT WASN'T SUSTAINABLE SO IF YOU TOOK JOY IN IT YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't mind people talking about the analytics; I *do* mind said people telling me how I should feel about them.

No one is telling you how to feel. You are making a choice to read something and then feel a certain way. No one has sad "that win was lucky and you should feel sad about it"

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I will admit that the people talking stats don't realize they're doing it, but you could see it in the thread:  What a great game!  We won!  YEAH, BUT IT WASN'T SUSTAINABLE SO IF YOU TOOK JOY IN IT YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

Again, that is your perception and you choosing to feel that way. You are making a choice to view the stats discussion in that way. 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Again, literally no one is saying that. 

Just now, Doohickie said:

That's the thing about being condescending:  You don't realize your doing it, or even mean to.

I accept PA's apology then. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It has been suggested that conversations that use statistics outside of the standard things such as goals, assists, minutes played, penalty minutes, and +/-... be removed to the club section of Sabrespace and off the main forum. So stats such as corsi, PDO, goals per 60, WAR would be not used in Main Forum discussions any longer. Vote in the poll accordingly. 

What? When? Never has this been suggested by owners, or mods. If you don’t want to discuss analytics just do a drive by on the thread.

Let's use the Pilut example. The second I saw he was pulled from the lineup I was mad. So I went to the stats to see if I was right in being mad. Now let's say a poster trusts Housley. That poster comes in and says "It's fine to bench Pilut because Housley knows what he is doing." Okay that is a fair thought. I then come in with stats showing why I believe Housley is wrong. What is being said is I cannot use evidence to back up my opinion. 

The irony is that I am now being told how I should feel. I should feel happy the Sabres won. I shouldn't want to look deeper because they won. I should shut up and be happy.

1 minute ago, spndnchz said:

What? When? Never has this been suggested by owners, or mods. If you don’t want to discuss analytics just do a drive by on the thread.

See PA's post for context. It is the 2nd post of this thread. 

It’s talk, about a sport. Again, if someone doesn’t like it, click the next thread.  Analytics, (which I don’t especially care for) are part of the game nowadays. I don’t believe they prove or disprove an outcome that is made before the puck is even dropped. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm to the point of calling for a dedicated club for analytics and its banning from normal threads. I bet I'd get a majority, maybe a very strong majority of posters, to support it. People got fed up with hearing about Trump. The same could soon be true for adjusted in tight Corsi underwear.

I'd strike "normal thread" and replace with "GDT thread." And "dedicated club" with "dedicated thread."

• Like (+1) 1

Who puts analytics in a GDT during the game?  Before can add to understanding team trends prior to the game and help understand after the game.

I’m not a analytics guy in general, but Fenwick, Corsi, etc.. are now part of the hockey landscape and will remain so for the foreseeable future.  We are a hockey board and therefore all aspects of hockey should be fair game.

I often support my ideas with traditional stats and historical context.  Analytics are just another tool to support an opinion and should be welcome.  They don’t need to be put in the corner.  They shouldn’t be treated like a political thread on a hockey board.  Anything that advances our understanding of the game we all love should be used and promoted.

That said, it might be helpful for those of us who aren’t comfortable with certain analytics or analytics in general to have some sort of reference library or group to access if we don’t understand something.  Also for the analytics junkies, they should be welcome to form a group to discuss Corsi to their hearts content.  

Also for those that don’t like it, skip over those posts or threads that discuss it.  There is plenty of other things to discuss, such as when is Jbot going to get us anotjer decent center?

• Like (+1) 1