Should analytics be banned from normal everyday threads?

LGR4GM

Analytics on the Main Forum  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of removing analytics discussions and use from the Main Forum of Sabrespace?

• Yes, it should be discussed elsewhere
    • No, it adds to the main forum
  2. 2. Are you in favor of posters who use analytics on the Main Forum being banned for using advanced statistics?

3. 3. Should analytics still exist on the Main Forum but solely in their own dedicated thread?

It has been suggested that conversations that use statistics outside of the standard things such as goals, assists, minutes played, penalty minutes, and +/-... be removed to the club section of Sabrespace and off the main forum. So stats such as corsi, PDO, goals per 60, WAR would be not used in Main Forum discussions any longer. Vote in the poll accordingly. 

Edited by LGR4GM

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think generations of hockey people and fans understood the sport just fine without the made-up, data-flawed nonsense of analytics, 99% of which 99% of you don't even understand. Your comment implies that folks have to go to pdo.com to understand the sport. It can be read as a passive-aggressive comment: if you want to be ignorant and just watch the pretty skating, fine.

I'm to the point of calling for a dedicated club for analytics and its banning from normal threads. I bet I'd get a majority, maybe a very strong majority of posters, to support it. People got fed up with hearing about Trump. The same could soon be true for adjusted in tight Corsi underwear.

For context. 

I don't think that PA wanted this to happen.

I would like a dedicated thread on the main forum where analytics can be discussed.  Since it is a hockey and Sabres directly realted subject I do not think it needs to in a Club off the main forum.  I would vote for that option if it were presented in the poll.

I don't read posts that are analytic in nature.  This is because I don't really understand, or like. them.  I like to trust my old eyes.

It would not be difficult, I don't think, to keep the analytics comments out of a GDT, as they come about after the game ends, no?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For context. 

Hey I think a club would be a good idea and used as a link to store updated analystics and detailed evaluations/debated of the value... flaws and usage.  That being said current tracking is useful in forums too

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

PA was joking you hoser.

Nope, he's not getting the benefit of the doubt this time.

"I'm to the point of calling for a dedicated club for analytics and its banning from normal threads. I bet I'd get a majority, maybe a very strong majority of posters, to support it." - PA

Okay, I see your hyperbole and I raise you reality. Or maybe I see your hyperbole and raise you more hyperbole. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I actually think this could be an interesting topic.

I know a few people that would rather look at a score of Mahler's 4th symphony than listen to it, or at least get equal enjoyment out of it. Not me. I understand it but in the end, only enough to get maybe a little more enjoyment out of when I listen to it.

Same with hockey. I watch to enjoy the artistry and grace and human-ness of it. I appreciate the value that analytics can bring to it to explain some things, but again, just enough to enjoy the game even more. I understand that we all watch the game differently and see different things.

Most of the time, though, I just want to listen to the music and don't want to be told I'm an idiot for not reading the score.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I actually think this could be an interesting topic.

I know a few people that would rather look at a score of Mahler's 4th symphony than listen to it, or at least get equal enjoyment out of it. Not me. I understand it but in the end, only enough to get maybe a little more enjoyment out of when I listen to it.

Same with hockey. I watch to enjoy the artistry and grace and human-ness of it. I appreciate the value that analytics can bring to it to explain some things, but again, just enough to enjoy the game even more. I understand that we all watch the game differently and see different things.

Most of the time, though, I just want to listen to the music and don't want to be told I'm an idiot for not reading the score.

I think most fans are this way.

The trick is that there are some fans who don't even want to see people talking about the score. Because seeing people talking about the score upsets them. They think the score and the people talking about it are doing it to ruin the music for them.

I made a comment about Eichel's goal being pretty lucky and it was PA who took offense. He could have, I don't know, not been a huge baby about it? But apparently my simply discussing that goal was enough to provoke ANGST. I'm RUINING THE GAME for him. ?

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Those of you who enjoy analytics, have at it.  It's easy enough to scroll past, and when I don't do that, sometimes I learn something.  But what is with question no. 2 there?!

Won't all of us be banned at some point?

The score is even analytical in nature, so to repeat it would be a ban-able offense. Hence, over the top rhetoric or hyperbole fighting over the top rhetoric and hyperbole.

It all makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think most fans are this way.

The trick is that there are some fans who don't even want to see people talking about the score. Because seeing people talking about the score upsets them. They think the score and the people talking about it are doing it to ruin the music for them.

I made a comment about Eichel's goal being pretty lucky and it was PA who took offense. He could have, I don't know, not been a huge baby about it? But apparently my simply discussing that goal was enough to provoke ANGST. I'm RUINING THE GAME for him. ?

You can't tell me, though, that when AS are often mentioned here, that there isn't also a condescending overtone attached to them. Which is ironic because as they stand today, ASs are flawed and incomplete.

And even that I don't really mind. I just find them to be a downer. I live for the day when somebody posts a data point that actually makes me feel good about my team.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

You can't tell me, though, that when AS are often mentioned here, that there isn't also a condescending overtone attached to them. Which is ironic because as they stand today, ASs are flawed and incomplete.

And even that I don't really mind. I just find them to be a downer. I live for the day when somebody posts a data point that actually makes me feel good about my team.

The condescending overtones are largely imagined, in my opinion. There seems to be a perception among a certain group that the stats people are here to make everyone else sad or something. God forbid the stats people find the stats and discussion fun. Damn them!

The anti-stats people seem to love to snipe at the stats crowd and then get upset when the stats crowd gives it back. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Don't start nothin wont be nothin.

And hell, my comment about Eichel's shot wasn't even a stats comment. It was mostly eye test based on knowing how the position is played. But that simple analysis was STILL too much for PA.

Basically, the anti-stats people need to stop acting like the way they enjoy the game is under attack. There's a lot of disingenuous cross-bearing going on. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They were 1-0 last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It would not be difficult, I don't think, to keep the analytics comments out of a GDT, as they come about after the game ends, no?

As I posted in the Flames GDT about GBU threads, on HFBoards there are two threads fore each game:  A GDT and a GBU thread.  GBU stands for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and it's basically a thread for post-game discussion.  In the case of the Flames game, the opening post might read:

Good:  Eichel's OT goal, Ullmark's Slinky-for-a-Spine move

Bad:  Not playing tight enough D on Calgary

Ugly:  3 total shots in the 3rd period and OT

....and then the conversation would follow from there.

On some of the team forums on HFBoards, they lock the GDT shortly after game end; on others the leave it open.  But most of the discussion shifts over to the GBU thread to dissect the game.