GDT - Sabres @ Calgary - January 16, 2019 - 9:30 PM - SN360; SN1; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

4 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I have spent more time and $$ on this crap team over the last 5 years (and plenty before) than I care to admit. That 10 game streak got me out of my slump but as far as being negative, I am right back there myself. I wish that streak would have never happened because it is beyond pathetic that Buffalo can still be this bad, this many years later. That Oilers game just shows that the leadership on this team is totally lacking. It's a bunch of guys with a loser mentality and knowing that, fans can be as negative and critical as they want.

I am right there with you... the past 20 games is the real team.  Good teams do not go on 20 plus game slumps.  When we play with effort we can compete.  We have a few pieces.  But I have come to the sober conclusion that we are not remotely close yet.  IF and I mean IF management can string toghter a few more good drafts, we properly develop players, and hit on some good FA/trades, we might be a top 10 team in 2-3 years.  Long way to go yet.  JBOT, for all intensive purposes, inherited an expansion team that had Jack Eichel.  

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

It's about possession. You can skate hard all you want, but it's better to have the puck while you're doing it. You can't just be going up and down the ice giving the puck away and taking it back. 

Yes.

I read the WGR article this morning about the hard video session they had yesterday from the Oilers game and they were saying "just having a greater respect when we don’t have the puck that something bad could happen and we didn’t have enough respect yesterday and it cost us.” Is this some new coach speak for a politically correct way say discipline?

That's what i have heard good solid coaches call it in the past for what I see lacking when the wheels come off. Discipline to keep on their assignment, discipline to not panic when facing a fore check with blind passes. Discipline in playing a tight checking game because a puck cannot do anything by itself.

Now I am not naive to think that alone makes it work, It starts with the system and practice to know what to do in those situations and confidence that the system works and if you at least the match other teams effort your discipline/execution gives you a better chance at success than scrambling around.

I just don't understand why doesn't this team have that since a lot of us agree here we are as skilled as the wild card teams now in front of us and the lesser teams below us that we regularly fail to meet their level of play. 

If a see a maximum, concerted, organized effort I can better rationalize the loss vs win its not even seeing that in so many of these last 2 months lost games that frustrates me about where this team really is. More talent definitely would be great but it won 't solve the discipline, team effort issues I continue to regularly see.         

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Not too confident about this one. One thing the Flames do is put in the work. Not sure from recent efforts if the Sabres really want to get dirty. We'll see.

Yep a team that works hard for 60 minutes a game vs one that does about 20 comes out on top more often than not.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.