The Power Play - How to Fix It?

Taro T

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

I agree with the premise, but I don't feel our players can't do it.  (double negative alert) We have two second overall talents, a 1st overall talent, a goal scorer the likes we haven't seen in 20 years, and an 8th overall pick.  All of whom have shown the ability to make plays at high speed at even strength.

I'm not sure why our PP is so damned deliberate in its movement, but I don't think it is player related.

Ok, so then lets say they WON'T move the puck with speed in their current roles.  I'd still like to have them placed into different roles.  Not a fan of having Skinner in the high slot nor having Dahlin on the 1/2 wall.

And I'd like to see more of the distribution coming from Reinhart.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Ok, so then lets say they WON'T move the puck with speed in their current roles.  I'd still like to have them placed into different roles.  Not a fan of having Skinner in the high slot nor having Dahlin on the 1/2 wall.

And I'd like to see more of the distribution coming from Reinhart.

I'm not advocating for leaving things the same.  I'm just saying that pace is more important than where we control play from.

I'd like to see Sam back in front of the net.  We had a dangerous powerplay back then.

I love the idea of Sam handling the puck more from behind the net. I also like the idea of Skinner supporting him. They are both among the league’s top tier at creating scoring chances from below the goal line.

Overall the issue is everyone’s deference to Jack while defences focus on Jack. I’m not sure if it’s role, or performance, but the number of Reinhart screens and tips is down considerably as well.

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I love the idea of Sam handling the puck more from behind the net. I also like the idea of Skinner supporting him. They are both among the league’s top tier at creating scoring chances from below the goal line.

Overall the issue is everyone’s deference to Jack while defences focus on Jack. I’m not sure if it’s role, or performance, but the number of Reinhart screens and tips is down considerably as well.

When Eichel or Ristolainen is shooting, Reinhart seems to try for the 'stand off to the side & hope  for a deflection' a lot more than he used to do.  He still seems to try for the full screen when the shot comes from elsewhere, but self preservation seems to have become a higher priority of his this year.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I'm not advocating for leaving things the same.  I'm just saying that pace is more important than where we control play from.

I'd like to see Sam back in front of the net.  We had a dangerous powerplay back then.

Pace definitely is important.  I just believe that how the players are aligned does effect that pace.

IMHO, I don't see a scenario where the PP improves without a constant net front presence and more shooting.  Whether it is Sam or somebody else, maintaining the space in front helps to open up the rest of the ice.  This team struggles with quick and accurate passing on the PP and ultimately their reluctance to shoot plays right into the opponent's PK efforts. 

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The puck movement and decision making seems to be much better on the second unit. 

Also Ryan Stimson did a piece for the Athletic where he advocated for a player on the PP to be under the goal line and ideally behind the net to have the puck and run it from there. The idea being that defenders are less likely to engage an attacker back there and that goalies are more likely to lose sight of what the other four skaters are doing as his attention is focused behind the net. 

The Swiss ran something similar during the WJCs with good success. 

If you watch the Hurricane highlights against Nashville today, it looks like Carolina is working on this concept. For me, I don't want the  puck holder to be behind the net, as it's harder to make the goaltender move, whereas the puck holder is very dangerous half way toward the corner.

You definitely need a really hard player in front of the net. Someone that'll take it on the chin to make sure his guys finish.  A type of guy that'll swallow everything thrown at him. 

High on the priorities is a someone that plays well below the goal line. A player who can toss it to a teammate or just finish himself.  The ability to reach around and score low is a must. 

We are gonna need to pound the high slot often with someone who has a howitzer.  Just relentless pounding of the slot being opportunistic and sneaking one into the low slot.  

Finally, no good PP flourishes without a big PP Slapper. Someone who can wind it up and and pound that black circle.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

You definitely need a really hard player in front of the net. Someone that'll take it on the chin to make sure his guys finish.  A type of guy that'll swallow everything thrown at him. 

High on the priorities is a someone that plays well below the goal line. A player who can toss it to a teammate or just finish himself.  The ability to reach around and score low is a must. 

We are gonna need to pound the high slot often with someone who has a howitzer.  Just relentless pounding of the slot being opportunistic and sneaking one into the low slot.  

Finally, no good PP flourishes without a big PP Slapper. Someone who can wind it up and and pound that black circle.  

Why do i feel funny in my naughty spot when I read this?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, darksabre said:

The second PP unit started one of the PP opportunities tonight and I thought that was a good call. PP2 doesn't waste much time getting shots on net. 

PP1 still doesn't know what to do with the puck when they have it. It's very weird. 

It's almost like the players need to be, I don't know the right word exactly...coached up on this issue.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m wondering if we should change the style completely. I remember when Boston used Chara during his prime in the middle of the PP.  He’d use his size and physical game to often out muscle people around the net, but would also back up and use his slapper.

I’m thinking about moving Reinhart to one point. Dahlin to the other and playing Jack and Skinner down low with Risto in the middle.  Sort of an M configuration.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m wondering if we should change the style completely. I remember when Boston used Chara during his prime in the middle of the PP.  He’d use his size and physical game to often out muscle people around the net, but would also back up and use his slapper.

I’m thinking about moving Reinhart to one point. Dahlin to the other and playing Jack and Skinner down low with Risto in the middle.  Sort of an M configuration.

I'm not sure about Risto down low. He tends to fare poorly in tight spaces.

But I quite like Reinhart at the point. I would try that for sure.

The PP1 struggles to me come down to the Derek Zoolander effect. They have one move. The entire right side of the power play unit's sole responsibility is to retrieve pucks and pass it to Risto at the top who then passes it to Jack for a one timer, but more often a continued cycle cause the shooting lane is blocked. There is no dynamic movement and if that play doesn't work they just keep passing back and forth until they can attempt it again. Because of that, we can often spend the entire power play with possession in the offensive zone (good!) while generating zero shots and/or scoring chances (bad!). 

Last year just having ROR as a threat to score from the right circle made it so opponents had to decide between allowing the Jack one timer or leaving ROR alone in the right slot. The quick movement from one side to the other opened up opportunities for our best players. To me Skinner needs to be the right circle player and Sam needs to be back in front of the net. Gives us more options in terms of ways to score, as a point shot/deflection is available if the defense cheats to the wings.

5 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

The PP1 struggles to me come down to the Derek Zoolander effect. They have one move. The entire right side of the power play unit's sole responsibility is to retrieve pucks and pass it to Risto at the top who then passes it to Jack for a one timer, but more often a continued cycle cause the shooting lane is blocked. There is no dynamic movement and if that play doesn't work they just keep passing back and forth until they can attempt it again. Because of that, we can often spend the entire power play with possession in the offensive zone (good!) while generating zero shots and/or scoring chances (bad!). 

Last year just having ROR as a threat to score from the right circle made it so opponents had to decide between allowing the Jack one timer or leaving ROR alone in the right slot. The quick movement from one side to the other opened up opportunities for our best players. To me Skinner needs to be the right circle player and Sam needs to be back in front of the net. Gives us more options in terms of ways to score, as a point shot/deflection is available if the defense cheats to the wings.

Except when O'Reilly was at the right circle, the PP stunk.  It was when he got moved to the high slot that things started to work.  (Which was where he was during Bob Woods heyday.)

I absolutely like the idea of moving Skinner to the right circle/boards so there is a legit shooting threat on that side.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting thought.  Q though: Why have the 2 weakest shots of the 5 guys currently on the 1st unit at the point?  I get this feeds both Eichel & Skinner.  What about trying, should they have Ristolainen in front, having Eichel & Skinner up top?

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Bumping this thread.

Our power play is dismal. 0 for lots iirc. Does this fall on Housley, Botterill? 

Put Jack on 2nd powerplay.  Too much standing around.  Guys need to be able to switch positions and pass... then quick shots.  Sam has to do more than stand beside the net or in front.  Someone else has to be able to go there and take some punishment.  Was hoping it would be Mitts.

They need to force more cross ice passes and take more quick shots. They are waiting too long or they shooting into legs. Also someone needs to stay in front of the net or cycle to the front more. They peel off and stand to the left of the net and it's useless. 

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They need to force more cross ice passes and take more quick shots. They are waiting too long or they shooting into legs. Also someone needs to stay in front of the net or cycle to the front more. They peel off and stand to the left of the net and it's useless. 

Unless they create passing lanes, attempting "to force more cross ice passes" will result in many more instances of Ristolainen standing with the puck behind the Sabres net waiting for everyone to get into the proper position to allow for the mid-ice drop pass to Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.