2019 moves

sweetlou

Taking a look into the next 7 months and what the Sabres need to do to improve...

1.  Sign Skinner to an eight year extension.  Dollar amount should be between 60-64 million with an AAV between 7.5-8.

2. Look at players to add for playoff push this year. Only look at younger players between 23-26 that still have term left on their contracts and will contribute more than just this year.

options-

a) Sean Couturier from Flyers- 3 more years after this year on contract with AAV of $4.3.  Solid #2 center who can give you 20 goals and 45-50 points.  

(trade would be Marco Scandella, ERod and SanJose 1st for Courturier and Philly 2nd rd pick) 

3.Free agents to pursue-

a)Michael Ferland- love his grit. True power forward who can score 20 goals. Four year contract at $16 million. AAV $4 million

Offer sheet Kasperi Kapanen of Toronto a two year $4million contract.  This would only cost the Sabres a second rd pick. Also keeps him as an RFA because he would not be 25 by June 30th of his expiring contract. JBotts was with Pittsburgh when they drafted him so there is a connection. Toronto is going to be up against the cap if they sign Matthews and Marner so they will not be able to pay a premium. Also would be a little payback for Babcock not coming here a few years ago. And last, it's the Leafs so who cares if they hate us. 

4. Sign our free agents-

Girgensons- 2 years $4 million, AAV $2million

Larsson- 1 year $1.75 million

McCabe- 5 years $20 million, AAV $4 million

Beaulieu- 2 years $5 million, AAV $2.5 million

Extend Reinhart for 6 years at $ 36 million

19-20 line up

Forwards-

Skinner- Eichel- Ferland

Thompson- Coutuier- Reinhart

Sheary- Mitts- Kapanen

Wilson- Larsson- Girgensons

Okposo on bench as suitable replacement for injuries or buyout

Defense-

Pilut- Risto

Dahlin- Bogo

Beaulieu- McCabe

Goaltenders-

Ullmark

Hutton

Edited by sweetlou
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

That Couturier trade is awful. Why would philly give us a 2nd? The San Jose first is gonna be like 27th and philly 2nd will be like 37th. So it's basically Scandella who if they are rebuilding is too old and Rodrigues who I like but is a middle 6 forward for a cheap decent 2nd line center. It's not realistic. 

Larsson is far more valuable to the team then Zemgus. 

I like the idea of offer sheeting Kapanen but it seems highly unlikely. There's almost never offer sheets. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

If that was Philadelphia’s asking price for Couturier he would already be a Sabre.

I think Beaulieu gets moved this offseason. Ferland would be a very nice add in FA 

He's an rfa, if they aren't signing him, trade him in a deal for a center. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This scenario displays little hope of Nylander, C.J., Olafsson, or anyone else graduating from the Amerks. 

Sheary and Wilson will likely only be around through next season.  (Sobotka as well.)  So jobs definitely open up the following season and injuries will happen next year.  They can get their opportunities even if outside reinforcements get brought in.

Also, wouldn't necessarily assume that Wilson has a position locked in the top 12 with the big club.  (Kind of see him as the early favorite to be 13th forward next year.)

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Sheary and Wilson will likely only be around through next season.  (Sobotka as well.)  So jobs definitely open up the following season and injuries will happen next year.  They can get their opportunities even if outside reinforcements get brought in.

Also, wouldn't necessarily assume that Wilson has a position locked in the top 12 with the big club.  (Kind of see him as the early favorite to be 13th forward next year.)

Yeah I agree. Wilson doesn't really give us much more than what we already have now. Yes he technically has a few years of experience, including some playoff experience, but production wise his best year was scoring 8 goals over a full season. We have plenty of players here now that are just like him. Thinking his return is gonna provide some boost to our team is just wishful thinking imo.

14 hours ago, sweetlou said:

options-

a) Sean Couturier from Flyers- 3 more years after this year on contract with AAV of $4.3.  Solid #2 center who can give you 20 goals and 45-50 points.  

(trade would be Marco Scandella, ERod and SanJose 1st for Courturier and Philly 2nd rd pick) 

3.Free agents to pursue-

a)Michael Ferland- love his grit. True power forward who can score 20 goals. Four year contract at $16 million. AAV $4 million

The Coutourier deal is a joke (price would be way higher and I doubt they move him at all) but the Ferland idea is a good one. 

OP here and the idea behind sending Scandella is because Philly has a young d and could use some experience on the back end.  If they wanted young d to build more for the future then I would be willing to part with Guhle. 

Reason trade works for Buffalo- they have plenty of left d. With the emergence of Pilut, and getting Dahlin in the draft it really drops Guhle down the depth chart.  Buffalo would have still have McCabe, Dahlin, Pilut, and Beaulieu on the left side.

Why Philly may trade Couturier- they have a high end player in Nolan Patrick centering their third line behind Giroux and Couturier who could easily step up and be their second line center.   ERod becomes their third line center. Philly will also be trading Simmonds as a rental to another team because they won't risk losing him in the off season for nothing.  Philly knows they are not going anywhere for the next couple of years. No goaltending and young defense.

I will edit my original trade idea-

Buffalo sends Guhle, ERod, and San Jose 1st for Couturier.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:56 AM, sweetlou said:

OP here and the idea behind sending Scandella is because Philly has a young d and could use some experience on the back end.  If they wanted young d to build more for the future then I would be willing to part with Guhle. 

Reason trade works for Buffalo- they have plenty of left d. With the emergence of Pilut, and getting Dahlin in the draft it really drops Guhle down the depth chart.  Buffalo would have still have McCabe, Dahlin, Pilut, and Beaulieu on the left side.

Why Philly may trade Couturier- they have a high end player in Nolan Patrick centering their third line behind Giroux and Couturier who could easily step up and be their second line center.   ERod becomes their third line center. Philly will also be trading Simmonds as a rental to another team because they won't risk losing him in the off season for nothing.  Philly knows they are not going anywhere for the next couple of years. No goaltending and young defense.

Still not enough. The reasons you want Couturier are the same reasons Philly would want to keep him. The fact that they have center depth is irrelevant. They can always move someone to wing. Couturier is still relatively young (26) and is on a great value contract. Scraps isn't going to get him. There would need to be at least one piece included in the deal that makes you cringe and Guhle is no where good enough to be that piece.

Edited by Drunkard

3 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Still not enough. The reasons you want Couturier are the same reasons Philly would want to keep him. The fact that they have center depth is irrelevant. They can always move someone to wing. Couturier is still relatively young (26) and is on a great value contract. Scraps isn't going to get him. There would need to be at least one piece included in the deal that makes you cringe and Guhle is no where good enough to be that piece.

It's gotta be Reinhart, Risto or Mittlestadt.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

All bad ideas. Trading multiple assets for 1. Shortening your own talent pool and opening up other holes. 

A 7 - 2 shalacking in a losing 24 game run with only 6 wins should put to rest any notion that further holes will be created.

In case you haven't noticed captain, we've already hit the iceberg, time to man the life boats.

16 hours ago, inkman said:

It's gotta be Reinhart, Risto or Mittlestadt.

Not seeing the downside by trading any of the three. We have Dahlin and Pilut is coming along nicely. Mitts is not a 2C so there’s an upgrade. Sam is not a make or break on the first line and I believe he was drafted to be a center which he is not. 

PHI has issues and may be looking for picks to rebuild. A high end pick might lower the value of whatever player we add to the deal. Aside from less than a handful none of these guys are off the block including the three you mentioned.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:56 AM, sweetlou said:

The only problem I can see is the idea that we have "plenty of left D". While this is actually true, we have a LD playing the RD position (sometimes McCabe or Dahlin). 

Just need to consider that when putting together these deals. Quantity isn't the only determining factor, you have to figure that one or more of those LD are playing the RD and those players are some of your best "quality" guys. If you give up Scandella then you either have to play Beaulieu/ Hunwick or promote Guhle or ? Not the greatest options.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.