Practice Report: Thursday, 1-10-2019

WildCard

2 hours ago, ... said:

You're not the first person to raise this as a concern.  I don't understand it.  Between Phil, Eichel and Skinner pointing it out and going over it on the ice, and the assistant coaches sitting Tage down in front of video, showing them "tape" of Samson making his breakout passes, I think it'd be pretty clear to him what he needs to do.  

I don't think Thompson is unteachable, or unwilling to learn new roles  Does he lack the skill to make the breakout pass, or understand it?  I think his development so far shows us a kid who is worth the time and effort to try and get him there.

It’s not that he is incapable, it’s just is that his best role? Is it the best thing for the team?

Will he carry the puck too much, or will he stop carrying it altogether in deference to Jack? He’s still developing so there are a few ways his game can go. I still blame Dan Bylsma for turning Sam Reinhart into a netfront presence, when he should have been moulded into Henrik Sedin,

Jack and Tage is worth trying, though. Kid has skill, and is getting to be more responsible. And I trust these coaches a lot more than Bylsma to free a kid’s best self. Patrick Laine lite wouldn’t be a bad direction.

Players can and do adjust their games. I thought it was really interesting how much more Sam and Jeff carried the puck with Jack out. They each can do it, they’ve just deferred to the linemates who’s better at it.

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

That first line has some serious firepower. I’m trying to imagine how they will use eachother’s specialties. Eichel has the creativity and hands, Skinner is the sniper and Thompson has the rocket but has shown he has stick handling skills.

With his size TT could be the net front presence or slot option during zone pressure situations. That quick, hard shot off an Eichel feed would give goalies a hard time. I guess we’ll see soon.

Remember the concerns re: Skinner were that he might not mesh well with Jack because he needed to have the puck.

I’m unconcerned about TT and Jack.   If he’s ready Development-wise, they’ll figure it out.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

With his size TT could be the net front presence or slot option during zone pressure situations. That quick, hard shot off an Eichel feed would give goalies a hard time. I guess we’ll see soon.

Let's not forget that Thompson is also very fast when skating in straight.  Not so deft on his feet in the corners, but he has gotten better along the walls and behind the net.  So long as he can envision the play ahead of time, I can see him feeding ***** the walls in the D zone and catching up in the offensive zone to make the play.  I think he has that capability now, again, so long as he doesn't panic and can "see" the play ahead of time.

The thing is, like anything new, he'll have to be exposed to those situations to get comfortable with them and get rid of the panic.  What we're looking for is that, the comfort in those situations, and the overall physical and mental ability to perform competently in those situations.

The entire team defers to Eichel for who carries the puck.  I don't see a problem with Thompson here.  The only time Eichel doesn't get the puck straight away is when he's heavily covered (and even then sometimes they try).  The Sabres play their coverage to free Eichel up from coverage so he's the one to get a breakout pass most often.

I'm not worried.  Thompson has shown an ability to get into space.  I'm sure he's a smart kid and will get there.  If not, we'll sit him down and let him watch Brett Hull videos (all except one) on how to be a shooter over a puck carrier.

My guess is we will see Thompson going to the net to tie up that area and free up room for Eichel and Skinner.

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Remember the concerns re: Skinner were that he might not mesh well with Jack because he needed to have the puck.

I’m unconcerned about TT and Jack.   If he’s ready Development-wise, they’ll figure it out.

Yeah I had that concern. I didn't realize 90% of Skinner's game is collecting loose change, which is awesome. Difference is I've seen Tage play before, I hadn't seen Skinner; Skinner is also a proven commodity prior to Jack, Tage is, well, Tage

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.