Practice Report: Thursday, 1-10-2019

WildCard

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

His development is important to the organization.    My concern is that while he has a very hard shot, he's not a natural goal scorer, in fact, the last time he score 20 goals or more in a season was back in Bantams.      Doesn't matter if he's getting open and taking shots if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

I agree, ideally he develops into a middle 6 guy who can put up 12-15g, maybe the odd 20g season.    A third line of TT, MIttlestadt and Nylander would be fun... assuming they figure out how to defend.

Yeah I liked his game against NJ, but I'm greedy...  Eichel is hitting prime and needs a trigger man to compliment Skinner.    I just don't think TT is that guy.     Give me a Toffoli, Tarasenko, or Kessel type of player and watch their production jump another level like the MacKinnon line in COL.     This needs to happen while Eichel is still young.

To the first bolded. What a garbage attempt at using stats. Tage Thompson played in the NCAA for his draft year. He had 14 goals in 36 games. In his post draft year he had 19goals in 34 games. Let's use the Pi method for someone else... Patrik Laine only scored 20goals once before last year! Clearly he can't hit the broad side of a barn! Guess the moral of the story is that if they didn't play enough games to get 20 goals they must suck... He said sarcastically. 

Eichel Skinner as a pair are outproducing MacKinnon Ratananen as a pair. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Eichel Skinner as a pair are outproducing MacKinnon Ratananen as a pair. 

What's your definition of "production"?

Eichel and Skinner are 18th and 35th in league scoring, respectively.

Rantanen and MacKinnon are 2nd and 4th... because they have Landeskog, who has more goals than either of them.  

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

His development is important to the organization.    My concern is that while he has a very hard shot, he's not a natural goal scorer, in fact, the last time he score 20 goals or more in a season was back in Bantams.      Doesn't matter if he's getting open and taking shots if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

I agree, ideally he develops into a middle 6 guy who can put up 12-15g, maybe the odd 20g season.    A third line of TT, MIttlestadt and Nylander would be fun... assuming they figure out how to defend.

Yeah I liked his game against NJ, but I'm greedy...  Eichel is hitting prime and needs a trigger man to compliment Skinner.    I just don't think TT is that guy.     Give me a Toffoli, Tarasenko, or Kessel type of player and watch their production jump another level like the MacKinnon line in COL.     This needs to happen while Eichel is still young.

I would counter that Thompson can become that guy, and in fact they've been grooming him for that role.  Let's see how he does the next few games.

https://twitter.com/JasonWolf/status/1083440286238416897

Jason Wolf
Verified account
@JasonWolf
 53m53 minutes ago
More
#Sabres' Jack Eichel gets in full practice centering top line alongside Jeff Skinner & Tage Thompson, says "I feel 100 percent."

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

Apparently, Thompson has gone from one of our worst Corsi players to one of our best over the past 10 games

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/1/10/18176378/tage-thompson-buffalo-sabres-has-started-to-emerge-trade

(interesting if you value a stat that rewards players for taking ill-considered shots that hit shins, miss the net and smack right into the goalie’s logo.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I figured it out:  Once HCPH declares Jack good-to-go, they have to move someone else off the roster.  All this means is that they will assign CJ Smith to Rochester tomorrow instead of today.... and Housley is hedging his bets in case Eich wakes up tomorrow in enough pain that he can't play, which is probably a remote chance.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Apparently, Thompson has gone from one of our worst Corsi players to one of our best over the past 10 games

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/1/10/18176378/tage-thompson-buffalo-sabres-has-started-to-emerge-trade

(interesting if you value a stat that rewards players for taking ill-considered shots that hit shins, miss the net and smack right into the goalie’s logo.)

Yeah, I saw that too.... they say "best player" but the chart shows Dahlin and Pilut with higher numbers; I think it should read "best forward."

42 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Thompson has 9 points in 36 games lmao. He had the same in 41 games last year. So much for progress

BTW he averages 35s more per game this year too, so don't come at me with that

But his Corsi over the last 10 games has jumped 15 points compared to the games prior to that.  So I'll come at you with *that*.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

But his Corsi over the last 10 games has jumped 15 points compared to the games prior to that.  So I'll come at you with *that*.

And we all know that Corsi is more important than actual point production since the Cup is awarded annually to the team with the best CF%.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

What's your definition of "production"?

Eichel and Skinner are 18th and 35th in league scoring, respectively.

Rantanen and MacKinnon are 2nd and 4th... because they have Landeskog, who has more goals than either of them.  

Goals, 5v5. Per60 min of toi together. Eichel/Skinner is better. 

I like that you ignored your own terrible use of stats though.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Actually it is interesting. And the limits of the stat are well known. Still, tage should see an uptick in production with his improved play. 

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Can we get MacKinnon , after what happened last night? More likely we would get his coach though. LOL

Ok, I'll go back to sleep and dream some more, aaaahhhh.

Here's to hoping these new combos work.  I expect they will in Carolina but won't against TB.  Which means we'll still have no useful data on these lines after the weekend.

That said, I don't like Thompson on Eichel's wing, only 1 puck and Thompson will likely try to have it on his stick when he should get it to Eichel.  Don't mind Thompson playing with Skinner.  His penchant to hold the puck gives Skinner room/time to get to spots he can beat D.  

If we have to break up the Eichel line, Like the idea of having Sheary with Reinhart; he moves to spots where he can get high danger scoring chances when playing with a playmaker.  Would rather have Eichel centering that line than the other as Eichel & Reinhart do play well together (Liger's Corsi stats not withstanding.) and having 2 playmakers available for Sheary should only makeit that much easier for him to break out of his slump.  Sobotka doesn't add much to the line as he can not finish to save his life & ability to headman the puck won't really help Reinhart & will still leave Sheary too far from the slot to benefit him much.  Larsson wouldn't be a fit there either.  And, next year (or even by mid-February) Mittelstadt might work there, but right now his issue isn't his linemates it's his opponents, so Casey doesn't work there now either.

I don't like breaking up Smith-Larsson-Okposo but understand that they don't want to risk waivers for Elie nor Hunwick & don't want to dis Pominville and put him on waivers even though that's where he belongs.

I like Mittelstadt on the 4th line (PT-wise, 3rd offensive line) & expect Gorgensons will work well with him.  The ONE benefit provided by having Pominville on that line is that Casey will get the easiest opponents of any Sabres line.  Keep Casey on that line until he gets his confidence back.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Here's to hoping these new combos work.  I expect they will in Carolina but won't against TB.  Which means we'll still have no useful data on these lines after the weekend.

That said, I don't like Thompson on Eichel's wing, only 1 puck and Thompson will likely try to have it on his stick when he should get it to Eichel.  Don't mind Thompson playing with Skinner.  His penchant to hold the puck gives Skinner room/time to get to spots he can beat D.  

If we have to break up the Eichel line, Like the idea of having Sheary with Reinhart; he moves to spots where he can get high danger scoring chances when playing with a playmaker.  Would rather have Eichel centering that line than the other as Eichel & Reinhart do play well together (Liger's Corsi stats not withstanding.) and having 2 playmakers available for Sheary should only makeit that much easier for him to break out of his slump.  Sobotka doesn't add much to the line as he can not finish to save his life & ability to headman the puck won't really help Reinhart & will still leave Sheary too far from the slot to benefit him much.  Larsson wouldn't be a fit there either.  And, next year (or even by mid-February) Mittelstadt might work there, but right now his issue isn't his linemates it's his opponents, so Casey doesn't work there now either.

I don't like breaking up Smith-Larsson-Okposo but understand that they don't want to risk waivers for Elie nor Hunwick & don't want to dis Pominville and put him on waivers even though that's where he belongs.

I like Mittelstadt on the 4th line (PT-wise, 3rd offensive line) & expect Gorgensons will work well with him.  The ONE benefit provided by having Pominville on that line is that Casey will get the easiest opponents of any Sabres line.  Keep Casey on that line until he gets his confidence back.

You're not the first person to raise this as a concern.  I don't understand it.  Between Phil, Eichel and Skinner pointing it out and going over it on the ice, and the assistant coaches sitting Tage down in front of video, showing them "tape" of Samson making his breakout passes, I think it'd be pretty clear to him what he needs to do.  

I don't think Thompson is unteachable, or unwilling to learn new roles  Does he lack the skill to make the breakout pass, or understand it?  I think his development so far shows us a kid who is worth the time and effort to try and get him there.

On Mitts, if they're giving Samson his own line, I'd prefer to see he and Mitts together.  Not sure I am confident in Sheary as the other wing, but that's what he's there for.  He'd be that line's equivalent of Skinner.  

43 minutes ago, ... said:

You're not the first person to raise this as a concern.  I don't understand it.  Between Phil, Eichel and Skinner pointing it out and going over it on the ice, and the assistant coaches sitting Tage down in front of video, showing them "tape" of Samson making his breakout passes, I think it'd be pretty clear to him what he needs to do.  

I don't think Thompson is unteachable, or unwilling to learn new roles  Does he lack the skill to make the breakout pass, or understand it?  I think his development so far shows us a kid who is worth the time and effort to try and get him there.

On Mitts, if they're giving Samson his own line, I'd prefer to see he and Mitts together.  Not sure I am confident in Sheary as the other wing, but that's what he's there for.  He'd be that line's equivalent of Skinner.  

Pointing something out to him in practice and him getting it right off in a game isn't the same thing.  IMHO, his game is primarily predicated on looking to carry the puck and get a shot off; if that shot isn't there, then looking to make the pass.  I don't see that complementing Eichel well.  And, at this stage, as he is just now getting his game seeming to come together (even though the goals aren't coming quite yet), trying to get him to change his style to fit Eichel better doesn't seem as productive as other swaps might be.  Don't mean to imply in any way he wouldn't be able to do that.  But at this stage, it doesn't seem the right time to try to get him to change the things that do work in his game.  And though I don't believe his game complements Eichel's, it does seem to complement Skinner's.  And that would appear to be why Housley's trying that combo.

And, I am very opposed at THIS point in the season with forcing Mittelstadt into the 2nd line role he has been failing at for the past 2 months.  He's had 3 games as the true 4th C, and seems to be getting his game back facing the softer usage.  Let him stay there until his game IS back on track before forcing him back into being Eichel-lite.  Either next season or more likely the following one, he'll be ready for true 2nd line usage.  Just don't see him there yet.  IF they still don't have a 2C nor some sort of chemistry allowing a 2nd line to work come mid-February then try putting him back into that role.  Maybe he'll be ready for it by then.  But he isn't as of 2 days ago.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Confirms what many have seen with their eyes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.