Practice Report: Thursday, 1-10-2019

WildCard

41 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe Thompson can become that guy, but he needs understand his job is to get Eichel the puck, find an opening in a scoring area and be ready to fire.

That's precisely what he did on Skinner's goal last game:  Dished to Skinner and drove the net.  I think they told him what was expected when they paired him with Skinner and they liked what they saw, so when Eichel returned they decided to leave him on that line.

I like Tage on the top line. At least see how it works out. I'll be curious to see what Reinhardt does with Sobotka instead of ERod too. I'd almost rather have left ERod there. I have no faith in Sobotka at this point.

I wish there was a way to keep Smith up. Maybe it can't happen for tomorrow night, but could we:

1) Send Smith down today
2) Waive Ellie today
3) Call Smith back up for Saturday's game?

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Or cut/waive/leave Ellie on the tarmac

I feel like I need to follow up on this as for some reason I thought the Sabres played tonight. So yes, they could’ve simply waived Elie at noon today, but doesn’t look like they did. 

Edited by Amerks8796

That top line is not going to work. Thompson simply cannot possess the puck or transition with it...really he can't do anything other than shoot it. He's going to neuter that line. 

CJ Smith should be in. Replace Sobotka with Smith

Eichel brings it in, passes to Thompson who shoots it, and Skinner puts in the rebound.

• Like (+1) 2

We'll see. I still watch a gangly slow guy trying toe drags through 3 defenders all the time.

You should delete the recordings of the games from November and watch the ones from late December and this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Eichel brings it in, passes to Thompson who shoots it, and Skinner puts in the rebound.

Eichel passes to Thompson on the breakout.   Thompson holds onto the puck toeying each and every player repeatedly until his shift is over.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting. 

Howie seems to like Sobotka's game lately.  Let's see how Reino does as primary playmaker with 2 lesser linemates.

37 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I'm actually more excited about Reinhart getting his own line than the TT news. SSS be damned but Samson had something like a 70+% CF in the Devils game with Sheary and Erod as his linemates. I think he can raise up his teammates more playing separate from Jack

Reinhart created at least a half-dozen scoring chances as the primary playmaker for his line versus New Jersey. Unfortunately, he was passing to Sheary and Rodrigues who have combined for three goals in the past two months.

Switching in Sobotka who hasn’t scored at all in that span isn’t going to improve the situation. Goddamn do we ever need another centre.

3 minutes ago, ... said:

You should delete the recordings of the games from November and watch the ones from late December and this year.

He's still doing it

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Eichel passes to Thompson on the breakout.   Thompson holds onto the puck toeying each and every player repeatedly until his shift is over.

Pretty much

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

That top line is not going to work. Thompson simply cannot possess the puck or transition with it...really he can't do anything other than shoot it. He's going to neuter that line. 

CJ Smith should be in. Replace Sobotka with Smith

"Replace Sobotka with Smith" -- or -- #37!

While I would love to have played 500 games in the NHL and scored 50 goals! (Another great stat from RJ and Ray!) A great accomplishment! Not the resume of a second-line NHL centre (I am a Canadian) though.

50 Goals In 500 Games -- actually sounds kind of cool - but -- Definitely Not The 50 Goals In 5o Games of the Rocket!

I don't understand why #17 should be so high in the depth chart? #37 and #22 have been much better players in the nearly 40 games that I have watched so far this year!

I thought #10 (since departed!) and #17 were to play on the fourth line?

• Like (+1) 1

21 + 17 + 29

This is the line that I would like to see together.

I would rather have the kids playing together. Particularly when the team is not scoring -- I would rather have the kids playing more, if the older players are not contributing to the offence?

21 + 17 + 29 will be my mantra whenever the Sabres lose a 1-goal game!

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Come on man Thompson tries and fails dangles all game, doesn't matter if the opportunity is there or not he's gonna try it. Sometimes even in his own zone.

Has he been better? Sure. Has he been a lot better than he was? Looks like it. I still don't think he's going to help that line, unless he lets Skinner and Jack run around while he waits somewhere for a shot

This is not entirely unfair.

FWIW, when I went to the game against Jersey, I saw two specific instances where Thompson smartly drifted into the right space and was fed the puck for a quick, hard shot. I was impressed with that work. And holy Moses - that guy can shoot. If he can get away with trying to generate, and concentrate on getting open - he could be a regular contributor.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Safesport violation?  

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

FWIW, when I went to the game against Jersey, I saw two specific instances where Thompson smartly drifted into the right space and was fed the puck for a quick, hard shot. I was impressed with that work. And holy Moses - that guy can shoot. If he can get away with trying to generate, and concentrate on getting open - he could be a regular contributor.

TT needs to get better at using his teammates in transition.     All things considered, it's a relatively easy thing to fix, I'm hopeful Housley can teach him.      

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

TT needs to get better at using his teammates in transition.     All things considered, it's a relatively easy thing to fix, I'm hopeful Housley can teach him.      

good eye, and good call. there are some intriguing tools there. fingers crossed that he can become a regular NHL'er on a playoff calibre team. ideally, he could skate in the middle 6 and get a bunch of o-zone starts - a la the sabres of 2005-2007 (remember that third line?!).

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

good eye, and good call. there are some intriguing tools there. fingers crossed that he can become a regular NHL'er on a playoff calibre team. ideally, he could skate in the middle 6 and get a bunch of o-zone starts - a la the sabres of 2005-2007 (remember that third line?!).

His development is important to the organization.    My concern is that while he has a very hard shot, he's not a natural goal scorer, in fact, the last time he score 20 goals or more in a season was back in Bantams.      Doesn't matter if he's getting open and taking shots if he can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

I agree, ideally he develops into a middle 6 guy who can put up 12-15g, maybe the odd 20g season.    A third line of TT, MIttlestadt and Nylander would be fun... assuming they figure out how to defend.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm telling ya pi, he's already well on his way.  The last few games especially have been much better than earlier in the year.

Yeah I liked his game against NJ, but I'm greedy...  Eichel is hitting prime and needs a trigger man to compliment Skinner.    I just don't think TT is that guy.     Give me a Toffoli, Tarasenko, or Kessel type of player and watch their production jump another level like the MacKinnon line in COL.     This needs to happen while Eichel is still young.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.