Practice Report: Thursday, 1-10-2019

WildCard

Just now, Amerks8796 said:

Yes, by waiving Elie yesterday, which they didn’t do. 

Theres nothing wrong with Smith getting sent down. He hasn’t been good enough for force their hand. 

So there's absolutely no way for, today, to have CJ Smith on the roster, with the only casualty being Ellie, if there needs to be one?

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Didn't they already try Thompson with Eichel earlier in the season?   Failed miserably iirc.

Thompson likes to hang onto the puck and create his own offense, not a good fit IMO.

Tarasenko tho.

He's playing a better game than he was at the beginning of the season though. I think it'll work better this time around.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So there's absolutely no way for, today, to have CJ Smith on the roster, with the only casualty being Ellie, if there needs to be one?

They’d have to send down a player who doesn’t need waivers. So Thompson, Mittelstadt or Pilut. None of those guys are going down. 

Or, they’d need to put someone on IR to open up a roster spot, but that’s doesn’t seem likely as no one else is hurt. 

Edited by Amerks8796

Just now, darksabre said:

He's playing a better game than he was at the beginning of the season though. I think it'll work better this time around.

I agree, but I don't think his style of play meshes well with Eichel... there's only one puck to go around.  Eichel creates, Skinner cleans up, they need a trigger man who can find soft spots and fire away.  

Maybe Thompson can become that guy, but he needs understand his job is to get Eichel the puck, find an opening in a scoring area and be ready to fire.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I agree, but I don't think his style of play meshes well with Eichel... there's only one puck to go around.  Eichel creates, Skinner cleans up, they need a trigger man who can find soft spots and fire away.  

Maybe Thompson can become that guy, but he needs understand his job is to get Eichel the puck, find an opening in a scoring area and be ready to fire.

I think he's the right guy for the job just because Eichel is such a pass-first player. Thompson was cranking shots away like crazy the other night and I kept thinking how that would be perfect for the top line. Skinner is great at cashing in rebounds and Thompson is the kind of guy who could really generate those chances.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Come on man Thompson tries and fails dangles all game, doesn't matter if the opportunity is there or not he's gonna try it. Sometimes even in his own zone.

Has he been better? Sure. Has he been a lot better than he was? Looks like it. I still don't think he's going to help that line, unless he lets Skinner and Jack run around while he waits somewhere for a shot

How soon we forget how effective Jason Pominville was doing exactly that. Recently Tage Thompson has been 100% better than September Pominville was.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

How soon we forget how effective Jason Pominville was doing exactly that. Recently Tage Thompson has been 100% better than September Pominville was.

Pominville knew his role and place, and how to get the puck out of his own zone to the better talented transition players.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tage and Jack have a positive corsi and shots for percentage in the only 10minutes they played together. Also a 55.56% high danger corsi percentage

I see what you're saying but we both know 10m is not enough. That's maybe 5-6 shifts

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. And if that line still produces, Reinhart has shown he can run his own line, so maybe we'll actually get secondary scoring

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I see what you're saying but we both know 10m is not enough. That's maybe 5-6 shifts

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. And if that line still produces, Reinhart has shown he can run his own line, so maybe we'll actually get secondary scoring

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c3773064d6b784145

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

10minutes is reallllllllyyy low. But it is interesting. 

Just now, WildCard said:

I'm actually more excited about Reinhart getting his own line than the TT news. SSS be damned but Samson had something like a 70+% CF in the Devils game with Sheary and Erod as his linemates. I think he can raise up his teammates more playing separate from Jack

• Like (+1) 1

The thing I've been enjoying about Tage lately is that his long reach has been useful keeping zone possessions alive. I think if he can increase that line's zone pressure it'll really help wear opponents down which creates great opportunities for Jack and Skinner. Plus his shot is something that other teams have no choice but to pay attention to. He's not Reinhart or Pommers in that respect, and that's a good thing.

He's still a little...clumsy?...in tight areas, but I think he's gotten better. He still needs to develop that real toughness on the puck, but I'm willing to take accept his deficiencies for now if he can just provide some real shooting on the top line.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That top line is not going to work. Thompson simply cannot possess the puck or transition with it...really he can't do anything other than shoot it. He's going to neuter that line. 

CJ Smith should be in. Replace Sobotka with Smith

Are U saying he is Happy Gilmore?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.