Michael Gilbert Resigns

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Harassment is based on power and in the US white men disproportionately possess and acquire power. Because of this and until it changes harassment is a largely white problem.

Sit outside any mixed-race, co-ed high school at 3pm for ten minutes and then try to tell me that you still think this.

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sit outside any mixed-race, co-ed high school at 3pm for ten minutes and then try to tell me that you still think this.

I’m not sure which way you’re indicating this would sway my mind. I should add an additional line to my post you responded to saying that this is based on the evidence we have and that there’s a decent chance that even when power changes hands harassment remains a white problem.

50 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Also: the image of you or I sitting outside a high school at 3 pm only enhances my mental image of harassment being a white thing. ?

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Harassment is based on power and in the US white men disproportionately possess and acquire power. Because of this and until it changes harassment is a largely white problem.

Deleted comments.  Decided to talk only hockey on hockey forum. 

Edited by Pimlach

I can tell you that harassment is not a white male issue, having a very diverse network of friends and family all over the world.

It manifests itself often among privileged white individuals in this country, because of what's been stated before.

I don't think that white male privilege is really relevant to this discussion. There are not more instances of harassment in white countries than in non-white countries.

Making people aware of their privilege is a noble crusade, but I don't think it has much to do with the issue at hand.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:32 PM, Neo said:

I look forward to the day when increasingly common travel and interaction results in non-distinguishable race and ethnicity.  Oh, the glorious silence. Of course, we’ll still have politics and religion, but those discussions will be distilled to core ideas.

I’m not sure where gender’s going.

When the time comes, we’ll be stuck with “humans do human stuff”.  In itself, that will be meaty and worthy.  Just imagine, debate outside the wild pendulum and great divide of ascribed privilege and victimhood.

I surrender “European” and “white”.  I’m holding on to “Christian” and “male”.

This has got to be the most unusual post I’ve ever read on the internet.  The depths of analysis is astounding. John Lennon wrote a song about it.  There must be books and movies about it?   

Amazing to find it in a hockey forum in a thread about some middle aged drunk guy trying (and failing) to pick up a hot young chick. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Just popped back in to see whether  middle-aged white male executives were still getting a stirring defence.

I was not disappointed.

I just popped in to see if people continue to make broad sweeping generalizations instead of dealing with the incident at hand  I was not disappointed  

Seriously, why is there the need to throw an entire profession under the bus due to the actions of some of them? Do you gain some sort of moral high ground by lumping them all together? I expect this sort of condescending tone from some, but you’re better than this  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, shrader said:

I just popped in to see if people continue to make broad sweeping generalizations instead of dealing with the incident at hand  I was not disappointed  

Seriously, why is there the need to throw an entire profession under the bus due to the actions of some of them? Do you gain some sort of moral high ground by lumping them all together? I expect this sort of condescending tone from some, but you’re better than this  

The arc that explains why why this thread, and its direction, has amused (and maybe bemused) me is a difficult one to reconstruct.

I know it will over-simplify matters, but I'll try it this way: A story of a middle-aged white male executive acting like a horny sh*t heel and abusing his station and power in so doing prompted me to #SMH and reflect on how far too many middle-aged white male executives (still!) engage in this sort of behaviour and that I really wished it would stop post haste.** 

The ensuing defence campaign for the cohort at issue is, in the end, nothing short of confusing to me.

I mean, are there other human beings who are not middle-aged white male executives who also do things that are bad? Fookin' right there are. I just don't see what that's got to do with the issue at hand, as I perceive it.

** And in so reflecting, I counted myself among the people who need to be part of building business cultures that are better. Shoot - in the time that's elapsed since this conversation started I came to realize that I had likely steamrolled and mansplained a junior female colleague during a planning session.

• Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

** And in so reflecting, I counted myself among the people who need to be part of building business cultures that are better.

I'm glad you threw in this part because far too often that's left out completely.  People love pointing fingers but so many tend to stop right there.  That's what I find to be pointless.  My sink is leaking.  Oh well, gotta keep eating my lunch.

10 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm glad you threw in this part because far too often that's left out completely.  People love pointing fingers but so many tend to stop right there.  That's what I find to be pointless.  My sink is leaking.  Oh well, gotta keep eating my lunch.

Long day at the office for me today. I couldn’t tell what’s literal and what’s metaphorical in this post. 

And we good, fam.

Edited by That Aud Smell

History’s taught us nothing if it’s not taught us that impugning whole genders, races and ethnicities isn’t the clearest thinking, no matter the rationale.   This is true even when the rationale, such that it is, co-mingles genes with status to avoid what would otherwise be racist, or some other “ist”.

What a nifty way to go after groups through the back door!

A famous political philosopher did a similar thing some 80 plus years ago.  He, too, built a philosophy around power and privilege as he felt it accrued to races and ethnicities.   Hardly a likeable fellow, he was nonetheless transparent.  The most revealing sentence is the last.

• The Jews have shown real genius in profiting by politics. This capitalistic people, which was brought into existence by the unscrupulous exploitation of men, has understood how to get the leadership of the Fourth Estate into its own hands; and by acting both on the Right and on the Left it has its apostles in both camps. On the Right the Jew does his best to encourage all the evils there are to such an extent that the man of the people, poor devil, will be exasperated as much as possible— greed of money, unscrupulousness, hard- heartedness, abominable snobbishness. More and more Jews have wormed their way into our upper-class families; and the consequence has been that the ruling class has been alienated from its own people.
  • Our fight is with money. Work alone will help us, not money. We must smash interest slavery. Our fight is with the races that represent money.

Fiddle with those two quotes.  Replace “Jews” with Christian, white, or male.  Replace “profit by politics”, “exploitation”, or “money” with their synonyms power and privilege.  See if you don’t get a post that fits nicely into this and other threads. 

Now, back to pinching bottoms!

Edited by Neo

On 1/23/2019 at 11:10 PM, Pimlach said:

This has got to be the most unusual post I’ve ever read on the internet.  The depths of analysis is astounding. John Lennon wrote a song about it.  There must be books and movies about it?   

Amazing to find it in a hockey forum in a thread about some middle aged drunk guy trying (and failing) to pick up a hot young chick. 

I’m not sure if you’re teasing me with sarcasm, or not!  In any event, I see you’re reminded of John Lennon.  I like Lennon;  I like the Beatles;  I LOATHE that song!  When you were reminded of it by me, you made me think.  I threw up a little in my mouth.  Had I made Lennon’s same point?  ‘Twas not my intent.

I’ve recovered.  My argument with John is that he imagines a peace born in the elimination of ideas, values and passions.  Nothing to kill or die for, as he describes.  This lobotomized, sanitized, approach to living makes me sad.  I hope my post imagined a peace born not in the elimination of ideas worthy of killing or dieing for.  Instead, I look forward to those oh, so human, passionate debates absent the confusion, obfuscation and perversion of race and ethnicity.

Lastly, and obviously, race and ethnicity can be discussed.  So can ideals, values, morals, habits and traditions.  Lumping them together and simplifying is, just ....well, you decide.

Edited by Neo

3 hours ago, Neo said:

I’m not sure if you’re teasing me with sarcasm, or not!  In any event, I see you’re reminded of John Lennon.  I like Lennon;  I like the Beatles;  I LOATHE that song!  When you were reminded of it by me, you made me think.  I threw up a little in my mouth.  Had I made Lennon’s same point?  ‘Twas not my intent.

I’ve recovered.  My argument with John is that he imagines a peace born in the elimination of ideas, values and passions.  Nothing to kill or die for, as he describes.  This lobotomized, sanitized, approach to living makes me sad.  I hope my post imagined a peace born not in the elimination of ideas worthy of killing or dieing.  Instead, I look forward to those oh, so human, passionate debates absent the confusion, obfuscation and perversion of race and ethnicity.

Lastly, and obviously, race and ethnicity can be discussed.  So can ideals, values, morals, habits and traditions.  Lumping them together and simplifying is, just ....well, you decide.

I was teasing a bit but yes, I read your post and thought of Lennon and the song Imagine.   You  make a lot of good points going far beyond the subject of the thread.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I was teasing a bit but yes, I read your post and thought of Lennon and the song Imagine.   You  make a lot of good points going far beyond the subject of the thread.  

I will then celebrate my astute grasp of the obvious and add banality to the list of my sins!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.