Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Find one post where I mention anything other then the AHL. 

There is absolutely no proof that playing in the AHL benefitted him.

Its a math thing to me. There’s what, 700 players in the AHL? You tell me how many are actually prospects. Out of those prospects, maybe 100, what, maybe 20 will be difference makers. Why hasn’t the AHL helped Bailey, Fasching or Baptiste but appears to have helped VO? Maybe, just maybe , VO was better to begin with.

i know it’s hard to think outside the box. That we’ve been conditioned to think this way is the only way. All I’m asking is how do we know? 

As the league continues to get younger, I believe less players will spend time in the AHL. It’s a large reason why the AHL business model has changed.

Still ignoring?

Yea. I’m still waiting for the list of 100. Hell, I’ll even settle for a list of 25 of the top (non top 10 draftees) who has little or no AHL or similar developmental league experience and yet have to be the top (top 10) scorers in the NHL over the course of their careers. Go back 10 years if you want. Bigger pool to give you a chance to back up your proclamation.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you won’t do the work ...

keep deflecting ... yawn ...

Edit: oh I just caught another nugget... so because you didn’t mention any other league except the AHL. One can glean that European pro leagues like Liiga, KHL, SHL do a great job at rounding out a players game and help develop them to be good NHLers. But the AHL which is a pro league in NA doesn’t. ?

Edited by Zamboni

Just now, Ross Rhea said:

I read that as him signing and remaining a Sabre will sort itself out, and no, that door isn't closed at all.

I read that as ... players saying things to the media that keeps them in good standings with the fans. Like all players do.

clickbait food to gobble up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Still ignoring?

Yea. I’m still waiting for the list of 100. Hell, I’ll even settle for a list of 25 of the top (non top 10 draftees) who has little or no AHL or similar developmental league experience and yet have to be the top (top 10) scorers in the NHL over the course of their careers. Go back 10 years if you want. Bigger pool to give you a chance to back up your proclamation.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you won’t do the work ...

keep deflecting ... yawn ...

Edit: oh I just caught another nugget... so because you didn’t mention any other league except the AHL. One can glean that European pro leagues like Liiga, KHL, SHL do a great job at rounding out a players game and help develop them to be good NHLers. But the AHL which is a pro league in NA doesn’t. ?

Obviously there has to be some place for them to play before they turn 20. I never players need no development. I am saying they need little to no AHL experience. 

Do you even know how many of the top 15 scorers for all the playoff teams have played more then 50 games in the AHL?

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Jeremy White’s Super Secret Sabres Source:

Originally Skinner’s Camp wanted 9.5 and the Sabres were offering 8. 

Now that he has cooled off Skinner’s Camp is asking 8.5 and the Sabres are at 7. 

They should just agree on 8.250. He hit a wall but overall had a good season, perfect fit for Jack and a core piece going forward. For Skinner he now has a center who can keep up with him and a team who can sign him for eight years taking him well past his prime. After all this time they go from being 1.5 mil apart to 1 mil apart. Just pay the guy, makes some trades to get a 2C and find a coach.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Now that he has cooled off Skinner’s Camp is asking 8.5 and the Sabres are at 7. 

Such a crock with his super secret Sabres source. Good grief ... grow up Jeremy.

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

8 for 7 years is as high as i would go.  That drops to 7 if he demands 8 years

So a team that can’t score will give up Skinner, Kane and a  couple if draft picks for a number one pick in the high twenties!

Anybody still wondering why they suck?

i just can’t believe they will let him go.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Jeremy White continues to know nothing but also $7M is right where Skinner should be. He’s not in Mark Stone’s stratosphere on the ice so $8.5M is far too rich.

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

8 for 7 years is as high as i would go.  That drops to 7 if he demands 8 years

I’m no agent but both yield $56m, so you would always take 7 years @ $8m with a chance to get another deal.  If you offer 8 years it would have to be like $7.25m AAV.   I’d do $7.5m for 8 years.   

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

So a team that can’t score will give up Skinner, Kane and a  couple if draft picks for a number one pick in the high twenties!

Anybody still wondering why they suck?

i just can’t believe they will let him go.

Nope

The last few good LW to sign as UFA's last year were Evander Kane, James VanRiemsdyk, and Max Pacioretty, and they all signed for $7mil AAV. Is Skinner worth more or the same as all these guys?

Kane- GP- 647, G- 215, A- 192, Pts- 407

Van Riemsdyk- GP-673, G- 227, A- 212, Pts- 439

Pacioretty- GP-690, G- 248, A-240, Pts- 488

Skinner- GP- 659, G- 242, A- 198, Pts-440

I'm still sticking to my original idea that he will sign for 7 years at $53 million, an AAV of $7.57.

Look around the league, who has salary cap space that they can offer him $8 mil?

With projected cap at 82 million, how much team would have available, and needed players to reach 23 man roster.

Buffalo- $25 million - 4 players.     Plays with Jack. 

Florida- $20 million - 7 players.    Up and coming team, not enough money to go around.

Montreal- $18 million - 6 players.    Good team, would probably fit in nicely, but do they have enough money to fill the roster?

Ottawa- $36 million - 8 players.   Lots of money, close to home, does Skinner want to go to another rebuilding team?

Columbus- $32 million - 9 players.   Would be a good fit. Does Columbus try and retain any of their own UFA's?

NJ- $32 million - 6 players.  Another rebuilding team. No true #1 center.

NYI- $34 million - 7 players.  Have a lot of their own UFA's. Potential team if they try new faces.

NYR- $20 million - 6 players.   Not enough money to go around...Panerin destination??

Philadelphia- $34 million - 9 players.  They love to overpay UFA's?

San Jose- $24 million- 8 players.  After retaining Pavelski, how much do they really have?

Vancouver- $20 million- 3 players.  Opportunity to play with Petterson? Scary thought.

So to conclude it looks like Vancouver, Ottawa, Columbus, NJ, NYI, Philly would be only teams making a pitch for Skinner besides Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder for how long? I wouldn't pay him 8 mill a year for the next 7 years or whatever. Screw that! We see it all the time a guy gets overpaid and then he turns into Drew Stafford 

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder for how long? I wouldn't pay him 8 mill a year for the next 7 years or whatever. Screw that! We see it all the time a guy gets overpaid and then he turns into Drew Stafford 

Drew Stafford was always Drew Stafford. He was the exact same. 

The really issue is will Skinner go full Moulson and decline into irrelevance. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Drew Stafford was always Drew Stafford. He was the exact same. 

The really issue is will Skinner go full Moulson and decline into irrelevance. 

We are probably going to get a real solid player in the draft. Right? Can't that player (I have not looked at the draft yet) step in a contribute in Skinners role? With the money we save we could improve our bottom 6 with someone who is solid and could score 15-20 goals, something that would be a big help. 

Does that that sound reasonable?