Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This can't be a good sign, can it?

20190401_094754.jpg

The team sucks, when the team sucks people don't buy stuff from the team, so retailers discount stuff. Add to the fact that people buy hockey stuff during hockey season and that season is ending and there you go. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hedging their bets. If he signs no guarantee he will even have the same number. A few others might open up like with Jack.  But at this point, I wouldn't buy one.............

He’s worn the same number his entire 9 year NHL career.  Probably not going to change now.

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

How much do you offer Skinner now? Is he worth what was being speculated after the streak?

I think it will now take more to sign him here.  We're going to have to do some convincing.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It’s gotten so bad, virtually unprecedented and toxic, I highly doubt he will resign here. 

I don't highly doubt but I think chances of his walking are very possible. Two months ago I thought for sure he'd sign here.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I think it will now take more to sign him here.  We're going to have to do some convincing.

Well, then thanks for the memories, Jeff.  I don't want to see them overpay for him.  Stafford had a contract year once, too.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well, then thanks for the memories, Jeff.  I don't want to see them overpay for him.  Stafford had a contract year once, too.

Right now, this season would be Skinner's 3rd best season, so it's not a career year. He's in the neighborhood of a 25+ goal and 50+ point average per year player.  Stafford scored 20+ goals 4 times in his 15 year career. So, no real comparison in the risk of signing these two players.

Let Skinner walk, but Botterill better have a replacement in mind to play on Eichel's wing.  The best way to blow $10 million a year is to put Sheary and Thompson on Jack's line.

If it’s not the Sabres, then some team will give Skinner a max or near max term for 8mil per.

For contracts that start now, in 2019, for a 27 year old winger who has shown in most years to be a 55-60 point producer who is a dynamic skater, that’s pretty much what a team will have to pay. 

I would be shocked if it’s lower than 7.5 per for max or near max term.

15 hours ago, jad1 said:

Let Skinner walk, but Botterill better have a replacement in mind to play on Eichel's wing. 

Olofsson's looking good on his wing.  He's not just along for the ride; he pulls his share of driving the line.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Olofsson's looking good on his wing.  He's not just along for the ride; he pulls his share of driving the line.

In the extremely short sample size VO has overall looked good. Typical rookie mistakes here and there, but nothing outrageous.

i guess it pays to develop in the lower leagues. Although some would deny that’s the reason.

When you get a chance can you forward me that study where VO played the whole season with the Sabre’s and didn’t develop as good or better? It would be fascinating reading.

How did you find an exact same situation and control all the cause and effect? This is something of ground breaking research and you should capitalize on it.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

When you get a chance can you forward me that study where VO played the whole season with the Sabre’s and didn’t develop as good or better? It would be fascinating reading.

How did you find an exact same situation and control all the cause and effect? This is something of ground breaking research and you should capitalize on it.

Really?

I'm still waiting for this nugget from you ...

On 3/31/2019 at 2:48 AM,  tom webster said: 

And next year, as Tage’s Body continues it’s growth from boy strength to man strength I’m sure we will hear all about it was his time in Rochester they made such a difference.

There are a lot of reasons that the league is getting younger, part of it being that teams are starting to realize that the AHL isn’t as important as they thought. Maybe I’ll spend time seeing how much minor league time the NHL’s top 100 scorers put in.

Re: top 100 scorers in the past decade....

Only if you take out all top 10 draft picks since most top 10 draft picks are talented enough to go top 10, and therefore see little if any junior or AHL time. 

As you know, that really wouldn’t make your point of players not needing the AHL and it not being a developmental league, if you selected someone like Crosby or Malkin and said “SEE ZOMG! They didn’t need AHL TIME!” ???

You so conveniently ignored.... 

And the topic of Development in the AHL.... The burden of proof is on you bro. You want to make ignorant comments about how the AHL and or pro leagues over in europe are not a developmental league for the NHL and most players don't need it. YOU provide the proof. Because both leagues are tremendous at rounding out a players game. And i'll say it again, i'm not talking about the top draft picks that don't need AHL time. But of course you know this ....

I'll be waiting. And waiting. And waiting.....

• Like (+1) 1

Where would Victor Olofsson be right now without both the SHL and the AHL? Would he be in the NHL? 

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I'm still waiting for this nugget from you ...

On 3/31/2019 at 2:48 AM,  tom webster said: 

And next year, as Tage’s Body continues it’s growth from boy strength to man strength I’m sure we will hear all about it was his time in Rochester they made such a difference.

There are a lot of reasons that the league is getting younger, part of it being that teams are starting to realize that the AHL isn’t as important as they thought. Maybe I’ll spend time seeing how much minor league time the NHL’s top 100 scorers put in.

Re: top 100 scorers in the past decade....

Only if you take out all top 10 draft picks since most top 10 draft picks are talented enough to go top 10, and therefore see little if any junior or AHL time. 

As you know, that really wouldn’t make your point of players not needing the AHL and it not being a developmental league, if you selected someone like Crosby or Malkin and said “SEE ZOMG! They didn’t need AHL TIME!” ???

You so conveniently ignored.... 

And the topic of Development in the AHL.... The burden of proof is on you bro. You want to make ignorant comments about how the AHL and or pro leagues over in europe are not a developmental league for the NHL and most players don't need it. YOU provide the proof. Because both leagues are tremendous at rounding out a players game. And i'll say it again, i'm not talking about the top draft picks that don't need AHL time. But of course you know this ....

I'll be waiting. And waiting. And waiting.....

Find one post where I mention anything other then the AHL. 

There is absolutely no proof that playing in the AHL benefitted him.

Its a math thing to me. There’s what, 700 players in the AHL? You tell me how many are actually prospects. Out of those prospects, maybe 100, what, maybe 20 will be difference makers. Why hasn’t the AHL helped Bailey, Fasching or Baptiste but appears to have helped VO? Maybe, just maybe , VO was better to begin with.

i know it’s hard to think outside the box. That we’ve been conditioned to think this way is the only way. All I’m asking is how do we know? 

As the league continues to get younger, I believe less players will spend time in the AHL. It’s a large reason why the AHL business model has changed.