Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The only Sabres Thing he ever nailed was Darcy getting fired, about a month before it happened 

Which wasn’t a groundbreaking prediction  lol.

Everyone, including Darcy saw it coming well before it happened.

Friedman on the 31 Thoughts Podcast mentioned he was in Buffalo on Tuesday and spoke with someone one who said the Sabres believe Skinner wants to stay, but it’s just not easy to get there. He also mentioned the Sabres are operating under the presumption Skinner wants to stay and both sides are trying to use that as leverage. 

He was also told that Term being the issue was not accurate. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman on the 31 Thoughts Podcast mentioned he was in Buffalo on Tuesday and spoke with someone one who said the Sabres believe Skinner wants to stay, but it’s just not easy to get there. He also mentioned the Sabres are operating under the presumption Skinner wants to stay and both sides are trying to use that as leverage. 

He was also told that Term being the issue was not accurate. 

So if term isn't the issue should be believe its the money? If so I wonder how far off the two sides are.

Big money is reserved for players in the right situation. 

Large contracts do have a ripple effect, whether you do contracts now, or you’re going to be doing them in the future. To the extent you start spending that way it is the expectation of the other players in the room to go with that.

Understandably, they feel that you’re doing contracts like that for some, that you should do them for others. All of that is unspoken, but that is something that you have to deal with going forward.

Right situation. Making a difference in a certain area. These are key to that larger contract.

Plays well with Jack. Goal scorer. Plus a plus. Shootout % a minus and so forth.

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, Derrico said:

And that's where the Sabres have some leverage.  They are the only team who can offer this. I would rather barf than sign anyone over 24 to an 8 year deal but if Skinner agrees to a reasonable aav then fine.  Otherwise he's only getting the 7 max.

What about 28 year old Captain Jack one year out from being a UFA?

On 3/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, Brawndo said:

Nick Kypreos on Hockey Central Today predicts the deal with be in the 6-7 Million Range. 

I heard this and had to SMH. 6-7 is a terrible guess and he'll probably cry overpay if we sign him to 7.5 per. 

On 3/23/2019 at 12:10 AM, Thorny said:

What about 28 year old Captain Jack one year out from being a UFA?

He'll be traded two years prior to that as a cap dump in yet another clearing of a losing core.  He'll go on to win three Stanley Cups with the Houston Aeros (formerly known as the Arizona Coyotes).  The second and fourth round picks the Sabres receive in return never make the NHL.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

He'll be traded two years prior to that as a cap dump in yet another clearing of a losing core.  He'll go on to win three Stanley Cups with the Houston Aeros (formerly known as the Arizona Coyotes).  The second and fourth round picks the Sabres receive in return never make the NHL.

I like how you've cut your jib.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I hope he doesn't score until next season...that way we probably don't overpay too much and give 8 for 7 instead of 9 for 8

When he becomes an UFA, there will be other teams bidding....the Sabres may be able to offer more but he could also sign with a better team

JBotts looking like a genius by not signing him early in the year. I still feel he will get in the 7.5 AAV range as he is a goal scorer.  There are just too many other items that are holding him back from getting a bigger paycheck. He doesn't kill penalties, not good at shoot outs, and has never played in a play off game and the first year out of Carolina they have a good chance to make the playoffs. 

I think Skinner may even wait until the period where he can talk with other teams and realize that he won't get more than $ 7mil AAV from another team and likely resigns with Buffalo before July 1st.  He likely resigns with Buffalo on June 30th for 7years at $53 million for an AAV of $7.57 million.  May have some bonuses built in as playoff goals, playoff games, etc.

Teams have got to start controlling the long term contracts and make them more bonus driven in order to have quality teams instead of a good team with some overpaid players.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

How bad would it be if he just walked? 

Because I think that is what he does 

Month and a half ago I'd have said no way. Today I think it's 50/50 he walks unless we overpay.