Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does this mean you don't want the Sabres to give him that contract?

Whether I do or don’t is irrelevant.  I think that is what he is worth to re-sign and that is where the contract should come in. He isn’t as good a player as Stone and shouldn’t be paid like him.  However he is a better fit here with Jack then Kane ever was and therefore we need to pay him to keep him since that is the plan.  So with 7 as the floor and 9.25 as the ceiling he should fall somewhere in the middle but closer to the 9 then the 7; this 8.5.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think what is going on is the Sabres will give him more money on shorter term, but he wants both.

Agreed.  I hope botts sticks to his guns.  More money but shorter term.  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I'm not concerned about term with Skinner.  The guys that play at a high level into their 30's all have one common trait.  extremely good skaters.  Barring injury, Skinner at 33 will be fine.

Like Joe Thornton. And Joe Pavelski. And Zdeno Chara. Chris Kunitz...

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I'm not concerned about term with Skinner.  The guys that play at a high level into their 30's all have one common trait.  extremely good skaters.  Barring injury, Skinner at 33 will be fine.

And he manages to avoid hits, except when he is on the ice versus Bogosian and Eichel  

• Haha (+1) 2

I hope my prediction about Skinner going to the open market is wrong (unless someone from the future can tell me he'll never be This Skinner again and we'll rue signing him). But until he signs in Buffalo before July 1, my operating assumption will be that he and his agent will go that route. It just makes too much sense. Why wouldn't he? Even if he comes back and signs with Buffalo. See Stamkos. It's about exercising your right, feeding your ego a bit and possibly maximizing your return.

Then again, I don't know the needs/cap situations of all the teams. Maybe there's no market for a pesky, fast, highly skilled, still-young, twinkle-toed 40-goal scorer.

• Like (+1) 2

Jeff, 

Please do yourself a favor and leave, this team will not have your back or stick up for you when you're the only one out there caring. 

It will sadden me to see you go, but the Sabres don't deserve your services until they hit puberty and their testacles actually drop. 

Signed, 

Me 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Are you suspicious of career years in contract years?

Prior to this season, do you think that any general manager would have given Skinner $9 million?

12 NHL players make $9 million per. Is Skinner an elite player?

How many NHL players would you rather have? I could probably list 50.

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Prior to this season, do you think that any general manager would have given Skinner $9 million?

50 sounds like a lot, until you try to acquire one of them. That's less than two guys per team and we have two of them. So, if those 50 are essentially unavailable, then you have a scarce resource with a need to fill.

He may not be worth the price compared to others, but if you can't get the others - what are the choices? 

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

50 sounds like a lot, until you try to acquire one of them. That's less than one guy per team and we have two of them. So, if those 50 are essentially unavailable, then you have a scarce resource with a need to fill.

He may not be worth the price compared to others, but if you can't get the others - what are the choices? 

Well...

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

50 sounds like a lot, until you try to acquire one of them. That's less than two guys per team and we have two of them. So, if those 50 are essentially unavailable, then you have a scarce resource with a need to fill.

I don’t believe the choices are Skinner at $9 or nothing because I dont believe there is a team in the league that would pay Skinner $9 million. He is a very good goal scorer and penalty drawer and he works hard. He’s hardly complete and he’s not elite.

Hell of a player, but not worth 12 per cent of any team’s cap.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I don’t believe the choices are Skinner at $9 or nothing because I dont believe there is a team in the league that would pay Skinner $9 million. 

But his contract may be higher than an apples to apples comparison would suggest across the league. I don't see anyone suggesting he get lowballed and to walk away if he balks.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I could probably list 50 as well. That doesn’t mean the JB feels the same and low balls him to an insulting level. By all accounts, both sides are talking, So that’s good. I would bet they are within 10-12% of each other.

It doesn’t matter how many players are today, right now, making 8.5-9.5. 

How many comparable players signed in the last 12 months? What was it for? What’s the percentage of salary cap does their contact take up? 

Skinner will eat up a good chunk the first 2-3 years. But as the salary cap climbs, his contract will eat less and less percentage. 

Im not saying Skinner’s contract will be a bargain. Hell, it will be quite high actually. But like many who sign big bloated contracts, you can only hope most of the term are highly productive years. 

Ideally i’d like him for 6 years at 7 mil. But that’s fantasyland to think he’d entertain, let alone sign that low offer. Especially in one of the highest taxed states in the country.

58 minutes ago, SDS said:

But his contract may be higher than an apples to apples comparison would suggest across the league. I don't see anyone suggesting he get lowballed and to walk away if he balks.

57 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I could probably list 50 as well. That doesn’t mean the JB feels the same and low balls him to an insulting level. By all accounts, both sides are talking, So that’s good. I would bet they are within 10-12% of each other.

It doesn’t matter how many players are today, right now, making 8.5-9.5. 

How many comparable players signed in the last 12 months? What was it for? What’s the percentage of salary cap does their contact take up? 

Skinner will eat up a good chunk the first 2-3 years. But as the salary cap climbs, his contract will eat less and less percentage. 

Im not saying Skinner’s contract will be a bargain. Hell, it will be quite high actually. But like many who sign big bloated contracts, you can only hope most of the term are highly productive years. 

Ideally i’d like him for 6 years at 7 mil. But that’s fantasyland to think he’d entertain, let alone sign that low offer. Especially in one of the highest taxed states in the country.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Not debated any of this. Agree with most of it. I think it is highly likely that all the factors at play could and should conspire to push Skinner’s contract to set a new market standard for UFA wingers. 

What seems to be missing is that you don’t have to agree on an 8-year, $72 million deal to do that. The current high-water mark for first-line, not elite UFA wingers is 7 years, $49 million.

There seems to be a perception based on Skinner’s first 50 games in Buffalo that he is 50-goal 80-point player.

He should pass both this year, but he has never scored more than 37 goals or 63 points. 

Hes not elite.Any team that pays him like he is will be making a mistake.

I don’t see how we can cringe at the thought of paying Kyle Okposo $42 million from age 28 to age 35 but not worry about paying Skinner $30 million more for two more prime seasons until he is the same age.

It’s not the fact we are almost certainly going to overpay Skinner that scares me, it’s the degree of overpayment people seem willing to accept.

Okposo got eight per cent of the cap after three seasons of 25 goals and 45 assists over 82 games and that was a mistake. Skinner should get 12 per cent after three seasons where he averaged 35 goals and 25 assists?

Edited by dudacek