Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Kane, JVR, and Stone are the relevant AAV comparable. The others are too far back and you'd have to go percent of cap at time of signing. 

Anyway, I agree that Skinner really isn't a $9 million player. I think he's better than Kane and JVR, but nowhere near Stone. $8M sounds pretty fair to me. 

$8×8 is what I hope the contract would max out at, but expecting $8.5×8.

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

Doubt it. If he was 100% sure of not signing here, he would’ve likely been shipped out at the deadline, even if it was for an extra heavy bag of pucks. 

He had a no trade clause. I would like to think it's not a possible scenario, but Tavares set the precedent for players lying to their current teams. The only fact we have to go on is he's here now, and we have no idea if he will be here next year or not. Absolutely none. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

$8×8 is what I hope the contract would max out at, but expecting $8.5×8.

This is exactly where I am at too.

Sure, Skinner has leverage but very few teams can offer him an Eichel to play with and no other team can offer him eight years.

And I can’t see any team without an Eichel offering him $8 million. Who has the cap space? Who would pay that much for the 30-goal 50-point man he has been with average centres?

It’s not an absolute slam dunk. I can see the Islanders and Barzal or the Canucks and Pettersen as probably the best bets to be competition. Florida and Colorado have the space and the star centres, but they are budget teams who aren’t going to make him their highest paid player. Rangers? I just can’t see another option for him that makes more sense than us fit-wise or salary-wise.

Buffalo/Skinner is too much of a perfect fit for both sides for them not to work it out. They need each other and they seem to like each other. He will get overpaid. It’s just about both sides determining by how much.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He had a no trade clause. I would like to think it's not a possible scenario, but Tavares set the precedent for players lying to their current teams. The only fact we have to go on is he's here now, and we have no idea if he will be here next year or not. Absolutely none. 

Don't quote me on this, but since he waived the NTC to come to the Sabres I think that was his one and done NTC waiver and the NTC is gone from his contract.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Don't quote me on this, but since he waived the NTC to come to the Sabres I think that was his one and done NTC waiver and the NTC is gone from his contract.

Unless the acquiring team agreed to honor it, which, judging from JBots' statements to the media about not asking him to waive it, they did. 

Still, remain calm.  All is well. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Unless the acquiring team agreed to honor it, which, judging from JBots' statements to the media about not asking him to waive it, they did. 

Still, remain calm.  All is well. 

Oh, I'm calm.  The calm during the storm, as it were.

Everybody remain calm, he says in my best Fred Flintstone quivering voice.

I agree, all is well.  Skinner will be fine and also sign.  Look.  A poet.

The way this season has progressed, I accept that Skinner will go elsewhere and am at peace with it.  If he stays it will be like trading for him all over again.  But since the the winning streak ended, everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong.  I expect it to continue.  Come on, Sabres, prove me wrong.

Edited by Doohickie

11 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I can't say for sure, it would depend on the exact wording of the contract, but waiving it once would not mean it was necessarily removed.

In my internet rounds this morning I came across a report (I think it was a Freidman/Marek podcast) that the Sabres and Skinner have a dollar figure that works but not they haven't agreed at what term. Sorry for the sketchy source, so take that for what it's worth.

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can't say for sure, it would depend on the exact wording of the contract, but waiving it once would not mean it was necessarily removed.

I think that I remember that it was up to the Sabres to honour it if they intended to trade him at the trade deadline, or something like that.  Bottom line is he is a Sabre and they have dibs on signing him to a new contract.

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

In my internet rounds this morning I came across a report (I think it was a Freidman/Marek podcast) that the Sabres and Skinner have a dollar figure that works but not they haven't agreed at what term. Sorry for the sketchy source, so take that for what it's worth.

Must I always correct your spelling, duda?  It's acrost.

Agreed on a $ figure, but not term?  What is that nonsense?  I'm calling BS right here, right now.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
punctuation poo poo now too ...

so if at the end of this mess (season) Skinner takes off and signs anywhere but here and says he wanted to go to a winner will we dump on him like everyone dumped on OReilly because that is in essence exactly what he (OReilly) said. there is a losing and very concerning culture here it seems and he did not enjoy it nor wished to play on that kind of team. So I wonder; who does? I could not blame Skinner for thinking "I'm outta here"...

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think that I remember that it was up to the Sabres to honour it if they intended to trade him at the trade deadline, or something like that.  Bottom line is he is a Sabre and they have dibs on signing him to a new contract.

Must I always correct your spelling, duda?  It's acrost.

Agreed on a $ figure, but not term?  What is that nonsense?  I'm calling BS right here, right now.

I'm guessing Skinner wants an 8 year max deal and JBots is hesitant to pay big $$$ into Skinner's mid-30's?

I'm confident that a deal will get done but it must be nice to be in Skinner's position. He has all the leverage.

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm guessing Skinner wants an 8 year max deal and JBots is hesitant to pay big $$$ into Skinner's mid-30's?

I'm confident that a deal will get done but it must be nice to be in Skinner's position. He has all the leverage.

As long as he doesn't blow out his knee.

19 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I am also confident the deal will get done and probably at 8 years. Also in 5-8 years where he will probably be slowing down if the cap keeps going up like it has been the contract probably won’t even be that bad. 

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

so if at the end of this mess (season) Skinner takes off and signs anywhere but here and says he wanted to go to a winner will we dump on him like everyone dumped on OReilly because that is in essence exactly what he (OReilly) said. there is a losing and very concerning culture here it seems and he did not enjoy it nor wished to play on that kind of team. So I wonder; who does? I could not blame Skinner for thinking "I'm outta here"...

Maybe...........OR O'Reilly was part of the reason for the "losing culture" and it left with him and the other departures. 

If you have a culture like that it's hard to see a full on change in one season. It's something that has to be rebuilt over time, mostly by bringing the young players along the right way and not bringing in "losers." If JBot did get it right and removed the big problems last year we will see the change over time, but it won't be evident in one season. 

To me they did try harder this year and the games have been close often. It's improved, but it's not a miracle like the win streak made it appear to be. Trick now is not to let the culture creep back in during what is obviously going to be a tough period for motivation over the last month.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe...........OR O'Reilly was part of the reason for the "losing culture" and it left with him and the other departures. 

If you have a culture like that it's hard to see a full on change in one season. It's something that has to be rebuilt over time, mostly by bringing the young players along the right way and not bringing in "losers." If JBot did get it right and removed the big problems last year we will see the change over time, but it won't be evident in one season. 

To me they did try harder this year and the games have been close often. It's improved, but it's not a miracle like the win streak made it appear to be. Trick now is not to let the culture creep back in during what is obviously going to be a tough period for motivation over the last month.

I'm not seeing it. 

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm not seeing it. 

really? Short memory? :)

I remember last year thinking where is that fast hockey Housley promised? This team is both soft and slow, hopeless. They aren't even close any night. Most of the game on their side of center ice. This year at least they attack and often outshoot, even if they are inept at finishing. They have numerous breakdowns, that's a given, but I don't feel like they are out of it after the first like I did last couple of years. 

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

really? Short memory? ?

I remember last year thinking where is that fast hockey Housley promised? This team is both soft and slow, hopeless. They aren't even close any night. Most of the game on their side of center ice. This year at least they attack and often outshoot, even if they are inept at finishing. They have numerous breakdowns, that's a given, but I don't feel like they are out of it after the first like I did last couple of years. 

If anything, my memory might be longer than yours.  This is quite a familiar feeling.

3rd worst in the conference since The Streak ended.  We're talking marginal improvement here.

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

attitude, not results. most of them can't score on an open net, that's a given. 

Attitude?  Yeesh.  It's a real stretch to say we can see a whole new attitude here.  I mean, the alcoholic goalie is gone, but Eeyore simply has a younger face now.

• Like (+1) 1

I also find it hard to believe or accept that OReilly was the reason for the "losing culture"...I think it is safe to say that culture existed long before he arrived in one of the best trades in recent memory (then we gave him away for basically nothing but whatever)...     no I think it is more just Botterill clearing out any guy Murray brought in hence we see more and more them getting sent out such as Bailey, Batsite and especially Guhle who sure seemed like a good one. And we keep getting Botterill guys like Tage and Scandella playing every night 

16 hours ago, Weave said:

Attitude?  Yeesh.  It's a real stretch to say we can see a whole new attitude here.  I mean, the alcoholic goalie is gone, but Eeyore simply has a younger face now.

ROR used to hate losing - and then started to hate himself for not hating losing as much as he used to.  THAT is the culture of this team, and it has been for a decade - they simply do not hate losing.  They love winning, to be sure, but they don't seem to hate losing - and those are two very different things.  The great players, coaches, and organizations, hate - HATE - losing.  The Pegulas have this "just happy to be here" attitude, some of the fans seem to share it, and the players definitely do.

• Like (+1) 1