Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think Skinny would make a good lawyer.  Really.

Anyway, it seems like he wants to stay and will stay, if I am permitted to read between the lines a little bit.

I think you are right. I keep refreshing the thread hoping to see the post declaring a done deal.

• Like (+1) 2

I think he wants to stay and will stay, and has let his agent know his wishes, but to maximize his value the agent is willing to shop Skinny if need be.  As long as Skins is clear in communications with his agent I think it will be fine, despite a greedy agent (and NHLPA).

"It's just business."

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Jeremy White the two sides are 750k to a million apart. Sabres offering 8.25, ask is 9.25 Million AAV. No word in the term 

8.6M and give him the term he wants.  Done.

• Like (+1) 2

Does Skinner regress to a 20 G 15A player in the next few years? 

I know looking at his past he's had good seasons, 20s and 30s in goals. I'm maybe a little shell shocked after KO and Moulson. But is whatever else he brings worth that type of contract. 

He gets under the skin of opponents, which is something we need and haven't had in forever, his passing I don't know, he goes to the slot and the middle. 

If his scoring drops off, is that contract going to be too much to handle? 

• Like (+1) 1

Skinner has all the leverage.  They know the fan base will riot if he leaves without compensation.  The Stone deal does not help, but I think many of us were already thinking $8 for 8Y at a minimum.  Losing him over an additional $.5 to $1MM a year will look bad/cheap optically and no amount of PR 'spin' will overcome that.  It will also signal to other FA's to cross Buffalo off their list as a possible destination.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Does Skinner regress to a 20 G 15A player in the next few years? 

I know looking at his past he's had good seasons, 20s and 30s in goals. I'm maybe a little shell shocked after KO and Moulson. But is whatever else he brings worth that type of contract. 

He gets under the skin of opponents, which is something we need and haven't had in forever, his passing I don't know, he goes to the slot and the middle. 

If his scoring drops off, is that contract going to be too much to handle? 

Yeah but in a few years, average cap hit for a player like that will be $8.5M, so it's all good.  ?

Term to me is the big question mark.  I will give you 8 million AAV over 6 years. If you want longer term you need to come down on the AAV.

5 years- 42.5 mil = 8.5 AAV. (9, 9, 9, 8, 7.5)  don't want to see this high of an AAV, but if I do term better be 5 or 6 years.

6 years- 49.5 mil = 8.25 AAV (9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 6.5)

7 years- 53 mil = 7.75 AAV (9, 9, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5). ** this is what I would like to see

8 years- 60 mil = 7.5 AAV (9, 9, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6, 6)  could live with this

So AAV may only be a difference in a million but length of contract is probably sticking point.

2 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Term to me is the big question mark.  I will give you 8 million AAV over 6 years. If you want longer term you need to come down on the AAV.

5 years- 42.5 mil = 8.5 AAV. (9, 9, 9, 8, 7.5)  don't want to see this high of an AAV, but if I do term better be 5 or 6 years.

7 years- 53 mil = 7.75 AAV (9, 9, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5). ** this is what I would like to see

So AAV may only be a difference in a million but length of contract is probably sticking point.

Again, you're almost a full million below what the price will be. An 8yr deal is going to be in the mid to high 8s

20 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

So here is the question(s)...if Skinner Demands 8 years at 70 million (8.75 per year) or 7 years at 63 million (9 million per year), do you walk away and let him sign with another team with nothing in return?

6 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

8 year term is scary... 6 would be better.  Typically, big drop offs start after early 30’s in production.  Unless you are Ovi.  

Your'e not kidding.  It's amazing how much leverage the players have now, especially when you consider management is not afraid to miss entire seasons to hash out the CBA on more positive terms.

Next go around ownership has to figure out how to get rid of guaranteed contracts.   That would justify a missed NHL season IMO, as much as I hate when this league shuts down.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

So here is the question(s)...if Skinner Demands 8 years at 70 million (8.75 per year) or 7 years at 63 million (9 million per year), do you walk away and let him sign with another team with nothing in return?

I think anything over $8 is overpayment.

I will overpay, but I will let him test free agency if he insists on $9. I don’t ever walk away though because l don’t think anyone will give him $9. In the end I believe our offer will be competitive financially and our fit will be good.

He has the same agents that took Stamkos to the brink and turned back.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I will overpay, but I will let him test free agency if he insists on $9. I don’t ever walk away though because l don’t think anyone will give him $9. In the end I believe our offer will be competitive financially and our fit will be good.

If the Sabres let Skinner get to the legal tampering period, there will not be enough Xanax or Prozac in the WNY Area to go around. 

8/8.75 is my guess

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Man.  We are like soul mates ;). Always on the same page.  Agree with this.   

I want the Sabres to take this next step.  They NEED to take the next step.  But I'm worried about this contract.  Skinner is very good and we get the best of Eichel with a competent winger but I'm very nervous of this contract.  Contracts like moulson, Okposo, Leino et al. have absolutely killed this franchise.  8 years is a long time for someone in his late 20s.  $8.5 or $9 plus is a ton of cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

I say give him what he wants. Somebody will and they will benefit from his stats. Take a chance if that's what it is. Not like we can get much worse if he tanks. In case anyone hasn't realized there isn't much else to get excited about with this team. At the very least we can enjoy a real top line for a few more years to mask the failure of what we call a rebuild.

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Just so we’re all clear:  if you’re saying you wouldn’t give him 8 years x $8.5MM, then you’re saying the Sabres should let him walk.  He’s not going to take less term or less AAV.  

Very unpopular but I let him walk for anything over $8 per for 8 years or any other amount over 6 years.

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I say give him what he wants. Somebody will and they will benefit from his stats. Take a chance if that's what it is. Not like we can get much worse if he tanks. In case anyone hasn't realized there isn't much else to get excited about with this team. At the very least we can enjoy a real top line for a few more years to mask the failure of what we call a rebuild.

I donno, I completely disagree with this take.  So you want to pay him because that gives fans a reason to get excited?  Or it can’t get worse?  You know how it gets worse?  We suck and have multiple long term, unmovable contracts.  I’m still hoping the core will get much better in a couple of years.  If that happens and the sabres are paying Eichel $10, Dahlin God knows what, Reino God knows what, Mitts if he gets there, Montour on his next contract.  That adds up.  Plus this team realistically is another two or three years at minimum for serious contention.  So skinner should still be good for a few of years but I’m very very skeptical his points don’t fall of a cliff those last 2 or 3 years.  I don’t know the answer.  I would be happy with 5 x $9 per but I know that’s not on the table.

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Here is the Sabres Cap Space going forward, not very many Long Term Contracts. 

40122893-F46C-485B-8D01-829D93624273.png

Thats a good sign but not a reason to throw caution to the wind here.  I know these are unpopular takes but I don’t think we should overpay wingers who could be benefitting from franchise centres.  Penguins didn’t do it with Crosby.  His wingers came up for contract and they moved on.

• Like (+1) 2