Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

If he wants more than 9mil per year then let him walk. I'm not letting a player hold us hostage.

He's worth somewhere between 7 and 8.25 mil per based on his statistics and such. 8.5, ok.... 8.75, fine...... 9, grin and bare it...... 9+, no way in hell. 

Just pay the guy honestly. I'm so sick of watching talent walk out the door cause we shave $1-1.5M per year cap hits on deals where the salary cap increase will cover that over that time period anyways

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Just pay the guy honestly. I'm so sick of watching talent walk out the door cause we shave $1-1.5M per year cap hits on deals where the salary cap increase will cover that over that time period anyways

This is where I am with it. 

I do wonder if he were to look around how many would offer more than $7.5 . $9 seems ridiculous.  Could see Sabre’s saying firm on $8 and letting him see the market. It’s possible the Sabres might need swallow hard at $8.5 to sign him  

I think if Bots plays hardball Skinner will sign for 8x8.  No other team will off 64 million guaranteed and he wants to be in this location.  However, I don't feel Bots is shrewd enough to out negotiate  Don Meehan. Botts will likely offer 8x9 which is what the contract will be.

34 minutes ago, millbank said:

I do wonder if he were to look around how many would offer more than $7.5 . $9 seems ridiculous.  Could see Sabre’s saying firm on $8 and letting him see the market. It’s possible the Sabres might need swallow hard at $8.5 to sign him  

Sorry but have you  observed free agency sprees? Ridiculous amounts given out in free agency. That's why I tend more and more at this date toward he testing market and possibly coming back to Sabres with any offer to match. I think he will get more than 8 but will the extra year we can sign him for before July first sway him to Buffalo? That's where the legal tampering period can be used by players.

Edited by Radar

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Glad you're so confident in burning up more of Eichel and companies contacts while grooming the next Skinner in Rochester. When was the last 30 goal guy we groomed. Face it Skinner' s agent in knows how desperate this  team is for a scorer. I think your confidence is way more than mine.

That was as sarcastic as i could get ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This is correct, and BUF will be better off letting him walk for +9m and using that money elsewhere.

Anybody can buy. It takes an artist to shop.

so another talented player leaves? Is there a wonder why we're always last?

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

so another talented player leaves? Is there a wonder why we're always last?

He had a career year on an expiring deal.    It happens.    It's not like he was a Sabre 2 years ago and we could've offered him an extension.     This is why he came so cheaply via trade.       The risk that he walked after his deal was very high.     

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He had a career year on an expiring deal.    It happens.    It's not like he was a Sabre 2 years ago and we could've offered him an extension.     This is why he came so cheaply via trade.       The risk that he walked after his deal was very high.     

I understand this...just tired of this team losing talented players

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

When was the last time this happened? 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

I understand this...just tired of this team losing talented players

The solution is to groom their own talent so they have the opportunity to offer them extensions while still under contract.

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The solution is to groom their own talent so they have the opportunity to offer them extensions while still under contract.

I'm 76 not interested in grooming. If you're looking at a five year plan. Not interested.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

When has this happened since Drury/Briere?  I know it has, but more regularly than other franchises?

Should add I am also sick of overpaying for good but not great players.  I realize Skinner is better but we are still paying for overpaying Okposo and just finished overpaying Molson.  This is after overpaying Ehroff, Leino.......way more players we've thrown that extra $1.5 mil to than refused to pay the extra $1.5 IMO.

Edit - Should also add that if you look around the league at teams in cap hell it's usually because they've overpaid their middle of the road players.  Again, please don't quote me saying I think Skinner is middle of the road because I realize he isn't.  I just want to make sure there's money available when Dahlin comes up and this team is hopefully in a position to make a real run.  

Edited by Derrico

@Derrico There is also only a very small group of teams that can actually afford to invest 8 to 10 mill in some of these UFAs.  Most are bottom feeders like us. I think Skinner’s people know this.  

There is an interesting article on the Athletic https://theathletic.com/1014487/2019/06/07/mirtle-ranking-all-31-nhl-teams-salary-cap-situations-from-best-to-worst/.  There are only 5 teams according to the article that have 20 mill or more in cap space.  They are Ott, NJ, NYI, Det and BUF.  Many of the teams with 15 to 20 mill in cap space have a ton of RFAs to re-sign.  That’s not a lot of suitors for big name FAs.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m curious to see the emotional pushback if Skinner walks.

I suspect a majority will crap all over Botterill for failing to keep him because it will be natural to pile on top of the current ROR angst.

I also suspect few will be pissed at Skinner because he performed here with a smile and “I can’t blame him for wanting to go to a better situation.”

The reality will be more like Skinner and his agents cold-bloodedly leveraged a trade to Buffalo to “Jack” up his stats, then strung the Sabres along with insincere indications of wanting to stay in order to get a huge offer on the table from a desperate team that they could then use to extract a maximum offer from his preferred destination.

If Skinner walks, he will almost undoubtedly be leaving money on the table in Buffalo.

And we will almost certainly have been played.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I suspect a majority will crap all over Botterill for failing to keep him because it will be natural to pile on top of the current ROR angst.

I also suspect few will be pissed at Skinner because he performed here with a smile and “I can’t blame him for wanting to go to a better situation.”

The reality will be more like Skinner and his agents cold-bloodedly leveraged a trade to Buffalo to “Jack” up his stats, then strung the Sabres along with insincere indications of wanting to stay in order to get a huge offer on the table from a desperate team that they could then use to extract a maximum offer from his preferred destination.

If Skinner walks, he will almost undoubtedly be leaving money on the table in Buffalo.

Alternative: he wants to win and thinks we're probably going to suck for awhile. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the second half swoon with Jbott sitting on his hands while the season faded away is killing us here.  Thisis about a combo of money and the right situation, and I have to think that the Sabres right now are a situation that requires more money.

The Sabres are toxic. I know we hated hearing ROR state it in a round about way, but it’s the truth.  If Buffalo maintained a middle of the pack record in the second half, my money would have been on Skinner being already signed.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And we Botterill will almost certainly have been played.

If Botterill enters into now his 3rd season as GM without having addressed the 1LW position, Jack's winger, in a sustainable fashion during that entire time, it's on him. No excuse for not having one on the roster by season 3. 

He best have a strong contingency at 1LW should Skinner get away. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, well, Jason Botterill might be bad at his job. 

Bob MacKenzie reporting that Skinner and Sabres are closing in on an 8 year $9 million dollar AAV contract...WGR just interrupted with breaking news

Edited by matter2003