Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

ain't happenin' folks...

my source (w/ the Duck's) says they expect Skinner to test the waters in free agency... and he would like to migrate west.

Edited by pi2000
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My feeling is the Sabres don't feel he's worth more than 8-8.5 but they are so offensively challenged that Skinner and his agent are trying to leverage that. Ordinarily I'd let him walk rather than go 8 years and over 8.5 but the team is between a rock and a hard place replacing him. Still think they will sign him but far less certain than I was a month ago.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

If he's waited this long, he'll wait a few more weeks for free agency and more offers

This is correct, and BUF will be better off letting him walk for +9m and using that money elsewhere.

Anybody can buy. It takes an artist to shop.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I continue to believe, if this doesn’t get done, Botteril is Dead Man Walking.  Especially if O’Reilly wins finals MVP.

Agree the O'Reilly deal looks bad but not signing Skinner at say 9 million for eight years is arguably an understandable decision. The only thing that makes sense about going that high is they are so destitute for scoring and are hostage to their need.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

You get chinese today or something?

• Haha (+1) 8

19 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This is correct, and BUF will be better off letting him walk for +9m and using that money elsewhere.

Except the Sabres are in dire need of what Skinner brings. Who is even in our system who does what he does. You're not going to find that in free agency because twenty seven year old 30+ goal scorers are few and far between. Plus even if there was one out there would he choose Buffalo? Unfortunately Skinner' s agent is holding a pretty good hand.

• Like (+1) 1

There is no plausible scenario in which the Sabres are better off for the next few seasons -- i.e. at least Eichel's 5th, 6th and 7th seasons -- if they let Skinner go.

It is MUCH more likely, if he leaves, that they remain a bottom-5 loser untouchable NHL franchise, with an increasingly quiet and checked-out fanbase.

#thetankwasstupid

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Let him go, I'm sure there are plenty of people in Rochester that could take his place. And in 3 years, we can add a potential 20 goal scorer when the #7 pick is ready to grooming the next Skinner in Rochester.

Glad you're so confident in burning up more of Eichel and companies contacts while grooming the next Skinner in Rochester. When was the last 30 goal guy we groomed. Face it Skinner' s agent in knows how desperate this  team is for a scorer. I think your confidence is way more than mine.

Edited by Radar

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There is no plausible scenario in which the Sabres are better off for the next few seasons -- i.e. at least Eichel's 5th, 6th and 7th seasons -- if they let Skinner go.

It is MUCH more likely, if he leaves, that they remain a bottom-5 loser untouchable NHL franchise, with an increasingly quiet and checked-out fanbase.

#thetankwasstupid

That's what makes his demands sensible from their position.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

Glad you're so confident in burning up more of Eichel and companies contacts while grooming the next Skinner in Rochester. When was the last 30 goal guy we groomed. Face it Skinner' s agent in knows how desperate this  team is for a scorer. I think your confidence is way more than mine.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.