Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

Well, in his D3 season, Kapanen had 43 pts in 43 games in the AHL.  Nylander had 31 pts in 49 AHL games in his D3 season.

In Briere's D2 season, he had 92 pts in 68 AHL games. 

Separately:  here's a bit on Nylander from the Athletic, in an article re-doing the 2016 draft: 

27. Tampa Bay Lightning: Alex Nylander
Actual draft pick: No. 8 (change: -19) to Buffalo
My final ranking: No. 8 (change: -19)

It’s been a slow build for Nylander but he starting to come into his own. A year ago, I had some viewings of Nylander where he looked like a lost, disengaged, perimeter player. That changed this season on a good Rochester team. Even though his results didn’t catapult to where Sabres fans would probably hope by this point in their eighth overall pick’s career, Nylander is still a legitimate prospect. I like to joke that he’s his brother William, minus the skating ability. I don’t know what that makes you but it should be enough to be a decent middle-six forward who can be a difference-maker on a second powerplay unit. Nylander has an excellent, accurate shot that he needs to find ways to use more and puck skills that allow him to hang onto the puck and delay. Sometimes that latter can work against him because he lacks the aforementioned speed of his brother and better defenders will close that gap but I still think he’s going to figure it out. Nonetheless, I was too high on Nylander (as was the hockey world) during his draft year. Part of that was probably tied to the namesake and his standout draft year showing at the world juniors. Live and learn.

2018-2019 season (AHL): 31 points (12G, 19A), 49 games.

...so he's not giving up on Nylander yet either (although he's not super-optimistic).

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why? He just turned 21.

Danny Briere was 24 before he made it. Kasperi Kapanen’s D3 season he played 8  NHL games compared to Nylander’s 12. His D4 season (which you are calling Nylander’s make or break)  he had 9 points in 38 NHL games. He turned out alright.

There are tons of examples.

I agree with you. The Sabres have nothing to lose by allowing Nylander to continue to develop.

He's got two years left on his ELC. So that's how much time he has left in this org to make the jump. 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He's been a PPG player in the AHL, Nylander hasn't

Are you basically saying that if a player isn’t tearing up the AHL by 21 these days he has no future?

To be clear, I’m not saying I believe in Alex, just that development isn’t a straight path.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

Are you basically saying that if a player isn’t tearing up the AHL by 21 these days he has no future?

A number 8 overall pick not showing minimal improvement/hope in 3 AHL season? Yeah

Just now, WildCard said:

A number 8 overall pick not showing minimal improvement/hope in 3 AHL season? Yeah

So it’s because he was 8 overall?

That’s why Raddysh is great prospect and Nylander is a bust, despite being almost exactly the same age and having nearly identical numbers?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

So it’s because he was 8 overall?

That’s why Raddysh is great prospect and Nylander is a bust, despite being almost exactly the same age and having nearly identical numbers?

Idk man I'm really not into this argument tbh with you. I think he's going to suck, and don't see any other reason other than hope to say otherwise. I hope you're right and he doesn't, but eh I don't see it

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I agree with you. The Sabres have nothing to lose by allowing Nylander to continue to develop.

He's got two years left on his ELC. So that's how much time he has left in this org to make the jump. 

Agree 100%.  I had thought for some reason that his contract was up after this coming season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alexander-nylander

Separately:  if he sticks in the NHL and hits his bonuses, he makes $1.7MM.  If he stays in the AHL, he makes $70K. 

2 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

"Belief. And Confidence.  At the moment there's doubt. We fall to glass-half-empty, the negative. I can feel it in the air and in discussions with fans. We need to turn that."

winning 3 games a month and finishing bottom 5 every year tends to do this to fans

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Idk man I'm really not into this argument tbh with you. I think he's going to suck, and don't see any other reason other than hope to say otherwise. I hope you're right and he doesn't, but eh I don't see it

He’s not responsible for where he got drafted.  He’ll make it or he won’t.  Hope is all we can do.  

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

He’s not responsible for where he got drafted.  He’ll make it or he won’t.  Hope is all we can do.  

I mean he kinda is though lol he played well/not well enough to get drafted there

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I mean he kinda is though lol he played well/not well enough to get drafted there

And someone scouted him well/not well enough to make him that pick.  History is replete with revised drafts in hindsight.  

The kid will either make good or not, but either way, he’s not the bad guy here.  

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

i don’t think he makes it either ?

51 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, in his D3 season, Kapanen had 43 pts in 43 games in the AHL.  Nylander had 31 pts in 49 AHL games in his D3 season.

Separately:  here's a bit on Nylander from the Athletic, in an article re-doing the 2016 draft: 

...so he's not giving up on Nylander yet either (although he's not super-optimistic).

Who did they have the Sabres taking instead in the Athletic piece?

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Who did we pick in their re-draft?

11 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

And someone scouted him well/not well enough to make him that pick.  History is replete with revised drafts in hindsight.  

The kid will either make good or not, but either way, he’s not the bad guy here.  

I don't recall saying he's the bad guy. 

I mean he can go ***** himself for sucking though

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Having a hard time with the exchange but John Wawrow reporting either deal was done last Friday or that Skinner’s camp gave JBOT a counter offer that he has yet to respond to. 

The Last Friday Comment was in regards to White’s Source saying it was probably going to be announced in the next 24-48 Hours last week. 

If the second part is true, that’s more beneficial as the Sabres get to make the final decision. 

Wawrow just tweeted that two sources confirm that the deal is not done. 

Edited by Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think its bad to have this kind of prospect in the wings, we can have all our 1st rounders in the NHL at age 18/19.

I keep looking at TBL core and see most made the jump at 23.

Not surprising when you consider Yzerman was the GM. That sounds pretty similar to the old Detroit model. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Last Friday Comment was in regards to White’s Source saying it was probably going to be announced in the next 24-48 Hours last week. 

If the second part is true, that’s more beneficial as the Sabres get to make the final decision. 

Wawrow just tweeted that two sources confirm that the deal is not done. 

Yeah, I was distracted while reading. 

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

With Bills stuff he is incredibly well connected...not so sure in hockey

Actually, I find Wawrow fairly accurate, albeit conservative.

Anyway, just drive down the 33, the billboard with the jackpots has one at $53 million, the other at $530 million. That has to mean something, correct?

• Like (+1) 3