Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

14 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

8 years at 9 million and I put that money elsewhere...hate it

Skinner has the upper hand for sure and Botterill did it to himself. This team with Skinner can't even fill out a proper top 6. If they let him walk, they won't even be able to ice a proper top line, let alone an adequate top 6.

They can cross their fingers and hope that guys like Olofsson and Nylander are ready, but we saw how well that worked with Mittelstadt last season.

12 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Skinner has the upper hand for sure and Botterill did it to himself. This team with Skinner can't even fill out a proper top 6. If they let him walk, they won't even be able to ice a proper top line, let alone an adequate top 6.

They can cross their fingers and hope that guys like Olofsson and Nylander are ready, but we saw how well that worked with Mittelstadt last season.

Because he traded for him? I don't understand the "Botterill did it to himself" part. 

Victor Olofsson is a 5 year pro about to turn 24. Nylander you could compare to Mitts but Olofsson is either going to make it or not this year. He's close to what he will be. Mitts is nowhere near what he can be. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

The thing about the money is this: over $8 mil seems like a lot, but he DID score 40 for the Sabres and if the team had its act together likely would have had more.  That's a significant argument in the negotiation process.

Another point is that by retaining Skinner, the Sabres don't fall off the talent cliff and could then use his signing as a motivator to sign a decent UFA or two.  Without Skinner, our ability to sign a decent UFA most certainly disappears.

Edited by ...
my binary was missing two bytes. whatever

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because he traded for him? I don't understand the "Botterill did it to himself" part. 

Victor Olofsson is a 5 year pro about to turn 24. Nylander you could compare to Mitts but Olofsson is either going to make it or not this year. He's close to what he will be. Mitts is nowhere near what he can be. 

By trading away O'Reilly and expecting some combination of Berglund, Sobotka, and Mittelstadt to play 2nd line center it ruined our scoring depth. O'Reilly and Reinhart played great together at the end of the previous season and after he got shipped off we were pretty much left with a single line that could score (Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart).

Edited by Drunkard

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think it's now-or-never for Nylander this year too.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

With that said, do you start in him a position to succeed in a top-6 role or is he expected to prove it in the bottom 6? If the first, how long do you think he should be given before being shuffled around?

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I agree completely. If he can't crack the roster this year, I doubt he ever will. It shouldn't be hard to surpass guys like Okposo, Sobotka, Thompson, Girgensons, Larsson, and Wilson. If he can, he can fight it out with Sheary and Rodriguez for a spot in the top 6.

19 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

By trading away O'Reilly and expecting some combination of Berglund, Sobotka, and Mittelstadt to play 2nd line center it ruined our scoring depth. O'Reilly and Reinhart played great together at the end of the previous season and after he got shipped off we were pretty much left with a single line that could score (Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart).

We still would need Skinner even if we had ROR. That's why your point doesn't make sense to me. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We still would need Skinner even if we had ROR. That's why your point doesn't make sense to me. 

Fair enough, but the point is that Botterill doesn't really have any choice but to pay Skinner and shipping out a top 6 forward under contract and replacing him with a 1 year rental made it worse. We don't have enough forward talent right now even assuming that Skinner re-signs. If he walks we're potentially looking at a 1st line of:

Olofsson   Eichel   Reinhart

and absolutely nothing to round out the rest of the 3 lines. Duchene, Panarin, and Hayes aren't signing here. Botterill has no choice but to pay Skinner what he asks.

Edited by Drunkard

2 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

The point is that Botterill is screwed. We don't have enough forward talent right now even assuming that Skinner re-signs. If he walks we're looking at a 1st line of:

Olofsson   Eichel  Reinhart

and absolutely nothing to round out the rest of the 3 lines. Duchene, Panarin, and Hayes aren't signing here. Botterill has no choice but to pay Skinner what he asks.

Okay, I don't agree with you or your view on this. If Botterill was going to pay Skinner any amount he wanted, he would be signed. I do not think Botterill is screwed at all but you do and you think the team is screwed and the sky is falling. That's fine but I do not agree with that sentiment. 

56 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

"Belief. And Confidence.  At the moment there's doubt. We fall to glass-half-empty, the negative. I can feel it in the air and in discussions with fans. We need to turn that."

I'm still pretty sure Duchene and karlsson will not have any interest in playing for Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, I don't agree with you or your view on this. If Botterill was going to pay Skinner any amount he wanted, he would be signed. I do not think Botterill is screwed at all but you do and you think the team is screwed and the sky is falling. That's fine but I do not agree with that sentiment. 

I edited my post to hopefully make it more clear. Unless Kreuger has a Ph.D in turd polishing or several of the young guys in Rochester all step up simultaneously, I don't see how the forwards on this team are going to have any success other than the top line.

Edited by Drunkard

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's fine, we can disagree. Maybe Botterill has a plan B if Skinner walks and I hope he does but I don't have much confidence in him at this point. I look at last year's roster though and I don't see how we can field a competitive team with those forwards minus Skinner because they were already inadequate with Skinner.

38 minutes ago, #freejame said:

With that said, do you start in him a position to succeed in a top-6 role or is he expected to prove it in the bottom 6? If the first, how long do you think he should be given before being shuffled around?

First things first -- Nylander needs to make the freaking team.  Based on performance to date, that's a 50/50 proposition at best.

Having said that, if he makes the team, I don't he necessarily needs a top-6 spot (and certainly not right away) to prove himself.  He needs to play his game, work his butt off, and the opportunities will come.  It's not like there are a bunch of good wingers ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I never believe Wawrow because he never seems to get this right. 

I’m pretty much on the “all talking heads are talking out their ass” train after the endless barrage of Skinner updates that lead to nothing but changed statements on old tweets. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Why? He just turned 21.

Danny Briere was 24 before he made it. Kasperi Kapanen’s D3 season he played 8  NHL games compared to Nylander’s 12. His D4 season (which you are calling Nylander’s make or break)  he had 9 points in 38 NHL games. He turned out alright.

There are tons of examples.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why? He just turned 21.

Danny Briere was 24 before he made it. Kasperi Kapanen’s D3 season he played 8  NHL games compared to Nylander’s 12. His D4 season he had 9 points in 38 NHL games. He turned out alright.

There are tons of examples.

The game has changed. Any player/personnel person in the league will tell you guys come out earlier and better now