Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

Serious question:  have JB's repeated statements that he's confident, they're close to a deal, etc., been counter-productive?  i.e. has he put himself into a corner by creating public expectations that Skinner will stay, and thus given Skinner more leverage to extract more $$, NMC, etc.?

The only upside I can see to JB making these statements is atmospheric -- i.e. by continuing to praise Skinner and speak as though Skinner is and will remain a Sabre, JB is contributing to a positive "team togetherness" vibe that he thinks will help Skinner to decide to sign with the Sabres before going to UFA.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  have JB's repeated statements that he's confident, they're close to a deal, etc., been counter-productive?  i.e. has he put himself into a corner by creating public expectations that Skinner will stay, and thus given Skinner more leverage to extract more $$, NMC, etc.?

The only upside I can see to JB making these statements is atmospheric -- i.e. by continuing to praise Skinner and speak as though Skinner is and will remain a Sabre, JB is contributing to a positive "team togetherness" vibe that he thinks will help Skinner to decide to sign with the Sabres before going to UFA.

I think they'd be counter-productive statements if they weren't true.  We have to assume he really means it when they say they want him on the team.  The rest is negotiation and weighing that desire with whatever the other party wants.  So long as JBot is strong-willed enough to not care what the public response is, and he's being earnest in his public statements, then I don't believe he can paint himself into a corner here.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think JBot honestly believes Skinner wants to be here, that he is going to be able to pay him enough money to make that happen, that Meehan is going to squeeze every last penny out of him that he can, and that the best way to keep the process on the rails is to speak positively and be patient.

• Like (+1) 3

This is more of a vent.  This has been said numerous times.  The Sabres haven’t made the playoffs since 2011.  They’ve been at the bottom league.  Do they really have to worry about overspending for a proven elite player?  The Sabres can’t get any worse.  Sign Skinner.  Have a player at the elite level for roughly 5 of the next 8 years.  Does the overpay really matter for the latter part of his contract?  Something is better than nothing.  If the Sabres don’t re-sign Skinner, they will have nothing.  It’s getting difficult to watch a team always prepping for the future.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It would be an incredibly weird look if they don't get it done after all these comments.  It almost makes me wonder if they're just messing with people's heads at this point.

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

It would be an incredibly weird look if they don't get it done after all these comments.  It almost makes me wonder if they're just messing with people's heads at this point.

I think JBot knows he is signing him no matter what...even if he has to go to Skinner's asking price. They both know he is staying but who gets/saves the extra money in the end?

19 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Still if framework and most of deal is done, but Skinner hits tampering window, I think you have to consider trading him right before.  Once that window, current offer has to be taken off the table unless he signs before.  Sabres can play that game if someone comes near but less just match it.

Since there is a very real possibility that Skinner re-sign with the Sabres but doesn't until the window opens; why would you guarantee he doesn't come back when that window opens?

From all indications, the negotiations have been amicable and positive.  Can't see where a 5th or 6th round pick makes up for the bad will (PLUS the definite loss of Skinner) that will be generated by saying ##### it we're done even though we most likely were going to get the deal.

He's signing a day or 2 after the window opens.  My 2 cents.

My only thought would be if Skinner is asking for the kind of money that puts him in the same realm as Duchene, why not make the offer to Duchene (or Karlson) instead? 

JBot will do it, but over paying Skinner will destroy our future, and Skinner motivated to impress and having his best ever season didn't get us into the playoff race so a comfortable over paid guy won't either. I want warriors not mercenaries, and right now I don't know what Skinner is, maybe just greedy.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Since there is a very real possibility that Skinner re-sign with the Sabres but doesn't until the window opens; why would you guarantee he doesn't come back when that window opens?

From all indications, the negotiations have been amicable and positive.  Can't see where a 5th or 6th round pick makes up for the bad will (PLUS the definite loss of Skinner) that will be generated by saying ##### it we're done even though we most likely were going to get the deal.

He's signing a day or 2 after the window opens.  My 2 cents.

Why wait... and I hope so... negotiating tactic i suppose... still dont like the gamesmanship.

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Why wait... and I hope so... negotiating tactic i suppose... still dont like the gamesmanship.

From the Sabres perspective, no reason at all.  From his, it's the chance to have the peace of mind knowing what he truly is worth.  How many people ever get to the point of knowing what their Max earning potential truly is?  Skinner will know in less than 4 weeks; and he can show, like Stamkos did, that this is where he truly wants to be.  After a certain point, it's about more than just money for many.  Still expect him in B&G come October.  My 2 cents. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

My only thought would be if Skinner is asking for the kind of money that puts him in the same realm as Duchene, why not make the offer to Duchene (or Karlson) instead? 

JBot will do it, but over paying Skinner will destroy our future, and Skinner motivated to impress and having his best ever season didn't get us into the playoff race so a comfortable over paid guy won't either. I want warriors not mercenaries, and right now I don't know what Skinner is, maybe just greedy.

I think Duchene will get substantially more than Skinner.

As for "warriors" -- I think there is plenty of toughness in Skinner's game.

And YMMV, of course, but I don't see "greedy" in a UFA trying to maximize (or come close to maximize) the dollars he gets out of the one chance in his life to market himself when his value in his profession is at its peak.

I'm going to guess neither one would have an interest in coming to Buffalo.

because it's so bright now...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

let me guess, everyone wants to come to Buffalo to play for Kreuger?

"Belief. And Confidence.  At the moment there's doubt. We fall to glass-half-empty, the negative. I can feel it in the air and in discussions with fans. We need to turn that."