Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You can vary it, but the AAV is what applies to the cap.  Years 1-4 he makes $10M per year, but he only counts $8.5M toward the cap.  In year 7 & 8, he makes only $6M but he's still counting $8.5M to the cap.

That's what I thought, I read it wrong thinking he was saying the cap changes each year against

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Let's be real. No team is offering Jeff more than 9.5 million as a UFA. Doubt he would reach 9 million.  Over a seven year deal that team would be offering 63-66 million

I think the real sticking points are term, and any movement clauses that may be put in contract.

My two proposals would be as follows:

1. Six year,  $54 million, no movement clause for entire contract.  Paid (9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9)  AAV $9 million

2. Eight year, $68 million, no movement for first four years. Paid (10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6)  AAV $8.5 million

This approach could back fire though. 

Panarin, who is the number one pending UFA Winger, will probably get 11-12 Million 

The teams that miss out on him will circle back to Skinner and that probably drives up his AAV. 

If the rumored ask from Skinner is 8.5-9.5 for 8 years, at what point do you sign him as a show of good faith for Eichel? Eichel is entering his 5th year and the team even with Skinner is most likely a lottery team next year. Without him, they are even worse. By all accounts Skinner fit in well with the whole team, from the rookies to the veterans. That has to account for something. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Let's be real. No team is offering Jeff more than 9.5 million as a UFA. Doubt he would reach 9 million.  Over a seven year deal that team would be offering 63-66 million. 

2. Eight year, $68 million, no movement for first four years. Paid (10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6)  AAV $8.5 million

I try not to underestimate how ***** dumb other teams are.  Especially when it comes to UFA top-end talent that's available for no returned assets.

But option #2 is reasonable.  While front-loaded, it meets the salary variability rules.  I think it's reasonable for both sides to commit to four years in a contract of this magnitude, then open up options after year four (at age 31).

The term and money are basically established at this point, as far as we know it'll be somewhere in the $9Mx8 ballpark. Give or take a few hundred thousand. What I'm really curious about is what kind of trade protection is included. If it's a movable contract that'd be swell. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The term and money are basically established at this point, as far as we know it'll be somewhere in the $9Mx8 ballpark. Give or take a few hundred thousand. What I'm really curious about is what kind of trade protection is included. If it's a movable contract that'd be swell. 

Even if it's limited or full NMC for 2-4 years of that, I'm still ok.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:34 PM, Zamboni said:

Could be ...

”Hey I’m in Cali right now on vacation. The terms sound great! I’ll sign it. Fax me over the contract. OR I’ll be done in Cali next Sunday. I’ll fly back to Buffalo Monday morning and we can button this thing up”.

Not being present when things are agreed upon, or not sticking around Buffalo for weeks and weeks while negotiations are happening between his agent and JB, is really no big deal. I know you know this.

I wouldn’t read into it at all.

hmmm ... I wonder if he’s checking out Disneyland Star Wars. Lucky bastard lol.

Someone asked me for my fax number last week and I asked them if they knew what decade it is.

But you're right; this can be done remotely.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Someone asked me for my fax number last week and I asked them if they knew what decade it is.

Well, did they?  That would be a sad end to that story - if it turned out they didn't know which decade we were in.

Edited by Cascade Youth

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This approach could back fire though. 

Panarin, who is the number one pending UFA Winger, will probably get 11-12 Million 

The teams that miss out on him will circle back to Skinner and that probably drives up his AAV. 

If the rumored ask from Skinner is 8.5-9.5 for 8 years, at what point do you sign him as a show of good faith for Eichel? Eichel is entering his 5th year and the team even with Skinner is most likely a lottery team next year. Without him, they are even worse. By all accounts Skinner fit in well with the whole team, from the rookies to the veterans. That has to account for something. 

But, it takes 2 to sign a contract. What if Skinner really doesn’t want to sign with Buffalo? I’m sure the players understand this and all the blame won’t solely fall onto the FOs shoulders. Skinner can choose not to sign here without directly telling the Sabres “no, I’m leaving”. It’s all in his actions. 

Its either going to work shortly or Sabres can say they are moving on and try and trade his rights... would I be disappointed, sure, but I think it close bait cutting time.  Too much energy spent on one player when the Sabres have more than a few holes to fill. Opens up cap room for Taylor Hall or Courtier trades 

Edited by North Buffalo

54 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Its either going to work shortly or Sabres can say they are moving on and try and trade his rights... would I be disappointed, sure, but I think it close bait cutting time.  Too much energy spent on one player when the Sabres have more than a few holes to fill. Opens up cap room for Taylor Hall or Courtier trades 

How are you aware of how much energy is being expended?

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

But, it takes 2 to sign a contract. What if Skinner really doesn’t want to sign with Buffalo? I’m sure the players understand this and all the blame won’t solely fall onto the FOs shoulders. Skinner can choose not to sign here without directly telling the Sabres “no, I’m leaving”. It’s all in his actions. 

Yes it takes two parties to sign a contract. 

The negotiations between The Sabres and Newport have been described as positive and Botterill has a good relationship with Newport. If and/or when Skinner decides to go to UFA Status, the Sabres will be notified by Newport out of professional courtesy 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I don't understand why so many people are so worked up over this. 

It's only June 4th. 

It's like at the beginning of May people freaking out because we hadn't hired a coach yet. 

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There’s always a concern when a UFA gets this far into the process. He’s right on the edge of the tampering window. There is absolutely cause for concern.

To a degree, yes.

But "concern" doesn't rise to the level of expectation that a deal won't get done.  Ever since Housley was dead man walking, it made sense for Skinner to wait until the non-tampering window opens to sign.  This is his one chance to see what he's really worth in his prime.  It also makes sense for him to spread the 7 year deal he'd get elsewhere across 8 years with the Sabres (and maybe (wishfully thinking?) even give a very slight discount to be able to still bring somebody else into the fold after Reinhart, Dahlin, & Mittelstadt all need to get paid).  Really expecting his negotiation to finalize around the timeframe that Stamkos' did.

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

To a degree, yes.

But "concern" doesn't rise to the level of expectation that a deal won't get done.  Ever since Housley was dead man walking, it made sense for Skinner to wait until the non-tampering window opens to sign.  This is his one chance to see what he's really worth in his prime.  It also makes sense for him to spread the 7 year deal he'd get elsewhere across 8 years with the Sabres (and maybe (wishfully thinking?) even give a very slight discount to be able to still bring somebody else into the fold after Reinhart, Dahlin, & Mittelstadt all need to get paid).  Really expecting his negotiation to finalize around the timeframe that Stamkos' did.

This is nothing like the Stamkos situation... let's face it, Buffalo is not at the top of any UFA's lists of most desirable NHL cities to play in.     And Stamkos spent his entire career in Tampa, not just 1 season and on a ***** team.  

Reality is, the closer this gets to the tampering period, the more likely he signs elsewhere.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

This is nothing like the Stamkos situation... let's face it, Buffalo is not at the top of any UFA's lists of most desirable NHL cities to play in.     And Stamkos spent his entire career in Tampa, not just 1 season and on a ***** team.  

Reality is, the closer this gets to the tampering period, the more likely he signs elsewhere.

When he ends up staying, I think you need to go back to the Matthews avatar. 

• Like (+1) 1

Still if framework and most of deal is done, but Skinner hits tampering window, I think you have to consider trading him right before.  Once that window, current offer has to be taken off the table unless he signs before.  Sabres can play that game if someone comes near but less just match it.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

There’s always a concern when a UFA gets this far into the process. He’s right on the edge of the tampering window. There is absolutely cause for concern.

Eh. He's gonna sign here and it's going to be for exactly what we all think it's going to be.