Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Skinner is in Southern California right now per his Instagram, this is something he would want to sign in person 

Could be ...

”Hey I’m in Cali right now on vacation. The terms sound great! I’ll sign it. Fax me over the contract. OR I’ll be done in Cali next Sunday. I’ll fly back to Buffalo Monday morning and we can button this thing up”.

Not being present when things are agreed upon, or not sticking around Buffalo for weeks and weeks while negotiations are happening between his agent and JB, is really no big deal. I know you know this.

I wouldn’t read into it at all.

hmmm ... I wonder if he’s checking out Disneyland Star Wars. Lucky bastard lol.

Edited by Zamboni

49 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Could be ...

”Hey I’m in Cali right now on vacation. The terms sound great! I’ll sign it. Fax me over the contract. OR I’ll be done in Cali next Sunday. I’ll fly back to Buffalo Monday morning and we can button this thing up”.

Not being present when things are agreed upon, or not sticking around Buffalo for weeks and weeks while negotiations are happening between his agent and JB, is really no big deal. I know you know this.

I wouldn’t read into it at all.

hmmm ... I wonder if he’s checking out Disneyland Star Wars. Lucky bastard lol.

I’ll be in DisneyWorld when it opens August 29th. They will not have a reservation system like at DisneyLand, I’m not standing in a six hour line to get in. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe it is taking a while to sort out contract because Skinner really wants 8 years and JBotts doesn't want to go that long.  

What if JBotts is telling Skinner I'll sign you to a six year contract at $9 million, if you wanting 8 years Ill see if any team is willing to give you that and then possibly do a sign and trade. 

I just listened to the MCKenzie Bobcast where he clarified he didn’t mean that a deal was close, just that talks had intensified and it was likely that a decision was likely close as to whether Skinner will be signing or testing free agency.

He said the term is focused on 8 years and Skinner wants a number that starts with 9 and Buffalo a number that starts with 8.

He also said if he had to bet, he’d bet on a deal getting done because Buffalo can’t afford not to.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I just listened to the MCKenzie Bobcast where he clarified he didn’t mean that a deal was close, just that talks had intensified and it was likely that a decision was likely close as to whether Skinner will be signing or testing free agency.

He said the term is focused on 8 years and Skinner wants a number that starts with 9 and Buffalo a number that starts with 8.

He also said if he had to bet, he’d bet on a deal getting done because Buffalo can’t afford not to.

I am 100% sure this gets done. The Sabre’s know what the number has to be and will eventually get there. Not only do they need to get it done, but Skinner wants to be here and knows that an extra three quarters of a million up to one million will have zero impact on their ability to be competitive.

19 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Maybe it is taking a while to sort out contract because Skinner really wants 8 years and JBotts doesn't want to go that long.  

What if JBotts is telling Skinner I'll sign you to a six year contract at $9 million, if you wanting 8 years Ill see if any team is willing to give you that and then possibly do a sign and trade. 

Dude.

If nothing else this could be some solid posturing from the team in the public eye. At the end of the season most people were saying 8m, that 8.5 might be too much. Now everyone assumes the deal is 9m, so if it ends out coming out as 8.5 people are stoked.

25 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I am 100% sure this gets done. The Sabre’s know what the number has to be and will eventually get there. Not only do they need to get it done, but Skinner wants to be here and knows that an extra three quarters of a million up to one million will have zero impact on their ability to be competitive.

I also wonder if there is some last minute haggling going on over a limited NTC in the final few years of the contract. 

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's what Jerry said.

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Whenever I read this thread title, I think what kind of watch he's going to buy after signing his new contract.

I'd probably just get a submariner. Simple, elegant. 

64-72 million deal 

If you math that out to a 7 year deal which the rest of the league can offer, that is 9.123mil to 10.286mil per year. It is possible a team goes with the 9mil a year deal but I highly doubt 10mil. If we are offering 8.5mil for 68mil over the contract, that is 9.714 on an 8 year deal. I think skinner is getting offered his most lucrative deal right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman reported there is an offer on the table from the Sabres for 8 years somewhere between 8-9 Million. It’s close, but until it’s done it’s not done. 

Sigh.......I hope this works out.....

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

64-72 million deal 

If you math that out to a 7 year deal which the rest of the league can offer, that is 9.123mil to 10.286mil per year. It is possible a team goes with the 9mil a year deal but I highly doubt 10mil. If we are offering 8.5mil for 68mil over the contract, that is 9.714 on an 8 year deal. I think skinner is getting offered his most lucrative deal right now. 

Completely agree.  If he walks he walks.  This is a more than fair offer to Jeff imo.

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

64-72 million deal 

Not only that, but I believe Botterill has done this math and made his final offer an offer no one else can beat.

It is up to Skinner to decide if he wants to stay.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's be real. No team is offering Jeff more than 9.5 million as a UFA. Doubt he would reach 9 million.  Over a seven year deal that team would be offering 63-66 million. 

I think the real sticking points are term, and any movement clauses that may be put in contract.

My two proposals would be as follows:

1. Six year,  $54 million, no movement clause for entire contract.  Paid (9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9)  AAV $9 million

2. Eight year, $68 million, no movement for first four years. Paid (10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6)  AAV $8.5 million

10 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Let's be real. No team is offering Jeff more than 9.5 million as a UFA. Doubt he would reach 9 million.  Over a seven year deal that team would be offering 63-66 million. 

I think the real sticking points are term, and any movement clauses that may be put in contract.

My two proposals would be as follows:

1. Six year,  $54 million, no movement clause for entire contract.  Paid (9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9)  AAV $9 million

2. Eight year, $68 million, no movement for first four years. Paid (10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6)  AAV $8.5 million

Are they allowed to offer that 2nd version? I thought the average had to be across the board for every year no?

9 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Are they allowed to offer that 2nd version? I thought the average had to be across the board for every year no?

You can vary it, but the AAV is what applies to the cap.  Years 1-4 he makes $10M per year, but he only counts $8.5M toward the cap.  In year 7 & 8, he makes only $6M but he's still counting $8.5M to the cap.

Edited by Doohickie