Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

I think iVe come around to the position that preventing the psychological blow of losing Skinner to the room and to the fanbase is worth the overpayment we’re going to make.

I don’t see any way the team is better next year if he walks, no matter what magic Botterill may pull off in the off-season. You’d have to pay Duchene at least $9 million to bring him here. Panarin and Karlsson will cost more and they ain’t coming anyway. There’s no one else that comes close to that level of player in the UFA market.

Sure, we might be able to make a big trade, but not only would the guy we traded for have to be as good as Skinner, he’d have to be as good as Skinner AND the guys we traded away.

Sign him and use our other assets to make this team better. Sign him and tell the city that good players do want to come to Buffalo. Sign him and tell the players that there is a light at the end of this tunnel and it’s getting closer.

Sign him.

• Like (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dreger says a deal should be announced soon.  Guess we are paying to much as we must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Even with a deal, we only have 5 top 9 forwards, 6 if Olofsson comes through.  Much work to be done.

Good, even if he is not quite worth it in the out years... Salary cap likely will go up by that point and deals will be larger, may not be a deal in the out years, but not as big a problem as would be if they can get four to five good years out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

I listened to Bob McKenzie’s most recent podcast and heard something a little disappointing from him.  He walked back his previous comments about the Skinner contract being close to complete a little bit.  Clarifying that he just meant that this week the two sides have been meeting a lot and he thinks that the outcome will be decided soon.  The outcome being either a contract agreement or a decision on Skinner’s side to go to UFA.

Edited by Curtisp5286

4 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I listened to Bob McKenzie’s most recent podcast and heard something a little disappointing from him.  He walked back his previous comments about the Skinner contract being close to complete a little bit.  Clarifying that he just meant that this week the two sides have been meeting a lot and he thinks that the outcome will be decided soon.  The outcome being either a contract agreement or a decision on Skinner’s side to go to UFA.

So glad everyone puts so much weight in what these clowns say

If it was gonna happen, it would've been done by now.  Skinner is as good as gone, and it's probably the right move if he asked for more than $8.5m.  Time to start seriously looking at UFA wingers and I'm OK with that.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, pi2000 said:

If it was gonna happen, it would've been done by now.  Skinner is as good as gone, and it's probably the right move if he asked for more than $8.5m.  Time to start seriously looking at UFA wingers and I'm OK with that.

Based on what?  Stamkos waited until nearly July 1 before re-signing.