Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

What about losing 40 goals from the first line?

I've stated repeatedly that I expect Skinner to re-sign and have given my reasoning as to why that would be.  But IF he doesn't end up signing here, so be it.  There's not a God blessed thing any of us here on a message board can do to make it happen.

If he leaves, then they have to replace his production.  Olofsson will replace some of it.  Having somebody else new going to 2LW will let Sheary's production falling to 3LW help replace some more of it.

Right now, they need 3 guys that aren't currently signed added to the top 6.  Skinner should be 1 of them.  If not, they need 3 new guys rather than 2.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I've stated repeatedly that I expect Skinner to re-sign and have given my reasoning as to why that would be.  But IF he doesn't end up signing here, so be it.  There's not a God blessed thing any of us here on a message board can do to make it happen.

If he leaves, then they have to replace his production.  Olofsson will replace some of it.  Having somebody else new going to 2LW will let Sheary's production falling to 3LW help replace some more of it.

Right now, they need 3 guys that aren't currently signed added to the top 6.  Skinner should be 1 of them.  If not, they need 3 new guys rather than 2.

I pretty much agree with you. You can replace Skinner with two 20g scores which are likely easier to obtain. That could actually create more offense by giving us more depth and quality throughout the line-up. 

The one thing that I might add is that we need to somehow reverse the TEAM +/-. We scored more goals than Dallas and only 2 less goals than the Isles....look where they are and where we're at. The difference being that we allowed much more goals than they did (202g and 196g respectively, to our 271g). All the teams that were on the plus side made the playoffs, with the exception of the Habs. I think this is a pretty good indicator of what it takes to get there. Even the teams like SJ and TO, who let allot of goals scored against, still were a plus in differential. We need to definitely close that gap. The worst part of that gap for us is in the goals against.

11 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I pretty much agree with you. You can replace Skinner with two 20g scores which are likely easier to obtain. That could actually create more offense by giving us more depth and quality throughout the line-up. 

The one thing that I might add is that we need to somehow reverse the TEAM +/-. We scored more goals than Dallas and only 2 less goals than the Isles....look where they are and where we're at. The difference being that we allowed much more goals than they did (202g and 196g respectively, to our 271g). All the teams that were on the plus side made the playoffs, with the exception of the Habs. I think this is a pretty good indicator of what it takes to get there. Even the teams like SJ and TO, who let allot of goals scored against, still were a plus in differential. We need to definitely close that gap. The worst part of that gap for us is in the goals against.

Agree. On the same page of that thought ... The goaltending was a factor for sure, but not the largest factor. The coaching and the overall defense of the entire team was a major contributing factor in most games. 

Hopefully the new coach and staff will bring in a better attacking system with 5 men all coming back and actively defending. That will, in and of itself will reduce the goals against significantly. That in turn, will help Hutton and Ullmark have better overall seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

This contract issue will likely go on until the legal tamper period.  Skinner will see what numbers others are offering and then take the 8th year here.  

This is what I've always thought made the most sense.

I am interesting in seeing if Krueger's power of personality is persuasive enough to get him off the fence.

6 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

so you think we'll get to the conference finals next year if we let him go?

With Skinner, a successful coaching hire, a real goalie, and a 2nd line center, I would not claim it as miraculous if that happened. That's a lot to ask though.....

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This contract issue will likely go on until the legal tamper period.  Skinner will see what numbers others are offering and then take the 8th year here.  

Yep.

Have expected that for a few months now.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the issue is they aren't offering 8 years but 6. 

That very well could be the presently offered term, but even if they were officially offering 8 years at present, Skinner has no incentive to sign today rather than on June 29th.

There are no injury concerns from playing while waiting to sign and really no downside to waiting for him.

Fully expecting at least 1 team to come in with a 7 year offer and Skinner will play poker and force Buffalo to get to 8 years and because exceptional skaters stay useful well into their 30's (even slightly undersized guys that are strong, Bobby Carpenter being the poster child) that extra year or 2 won't be a deal breaker.  He's not going to fall off the face of the Earth 2 seasons from now, unlike other recent FA signees.

While I expect Botterill would like to have the contract only be 5-6 years long; can't see that being realistic nor can I see it as a deal breaker from the Sabres perspective.  And not being willing to sign a shorter deal was reported to be the difference back when the Sabres held some cards.  Now that they hold few to force the issue (they hold cards: location, role on team, teammates, etc; just not any that can knock 1-2 years off the deal) expect the deal to be 8 years with an outside shot it ends up 7 if the Sabres offer is clearly the best all things considered.

That 40th goal likely did raise what he ends up with when he finally does sign.  And until I see him sign elsewhere will expect that to be with Buffalo.