Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Watching Lehner and ROR succeed in the playoffs, no excel in the playoffs, is making me think nobody is going to want to sign here. Players talk to each other. 

Good thing you’ll be wrong. 

You or some other poster I’M SURE typed that exact same thing every year for the past 8 years, if not longer. 

And yet, every year players sign in Buffalo. 

You didn’t quantify it by saying “any top end talent” BTW.

42 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Good thing you’ll be wrong. 

You or some other poster I’M SURE typed that exact same thing every year for the past 8 years, if not longer. 

And yet, every year players sign in Buffalo. 

You didn’t quantify it by saying “any top end talent” BTW.

Well fair enough on the precision (if only our goalies were that focused and detailed in their prep!) so let me rephrase it as nobody worthwhile

You have to admit though the whole "culture being fixed" thing becomes a question mark when the alleged problem children are starring in their new locker rooms. It perplexes me and maybe, just maybe, it starts at the top.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well fair enough on the precision (if only our goalies were that focused and detailed in their prep!) so let me rephrase it as nobody worthwhile

You have to admit though the whole "culture being fixed" thing becomes a question mark when the alleged problem children are starring in their new locker rooms. It perplexes me and maybe, just maybe, it starts at the top.

I love ROR; he is everything you want in a hockey player.  He wasn't a "problem child" in Buffalo...he was surrounded by a totally broken franchise and did what he had to get the F off a sinking ship, and it worked just fine for him.

Lehner is a different issue entirely--he's a mediocre goalie with substance abuse issues and some mental issues beyond the normal "he's a goalie, of course he's crazy!" stuff.  LOL.

Goaltending is like that if you look around the league though.  It's very unreliable and inconsistent.  Guys get hot, then they get cold.  Lehner will return to normal at some point in the relatively near future.  His fundamental mechanics are not nearly good enough to generate high save percentages on a consistent basis.

Our current goaltending is similar, unfortunately.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 12:34 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Who ever thought ROR was a problem child?  He wanted out because he wanted to win.  He played it smart.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’m not positive but I think he’s from the GTA

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Stratford Ontario, not really close, but Leafs would be the closest team. 

Yeah - Stratford is not the GTA. It's a little closer to Buffalo than Syracuse is, by way of context.

And, FWIW, many Buffalo high school kids have shlepped off to Stratford for the Shakespeare plays. 

7 hours ago, Ross Rhea said:

With the current status of the Sabres could Skinner be waiting to see who is hired as coach before he signs here or elects FA? 

Did he not sign earlier in the year because he wasn't a Housley fan?

Whatever the case, hope he signs here. 

While I still expect Skinner to re-sign, there is no reason for him to do so prior to the non-tampering tampering window to open at this point.

Making sure somebody else doesn't wildly value his services more than the Sabres do is worth more than whomever the coach ends up.  It's just due diligence at this point.  (Though a Rolstonesque hire could adversely effect the calculus.  Not expecting anything that horrid.)

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, Taro T said:

While I still expect Skinner to re-sign, there is no reason for him to do so prior to the non-tampering tampering window to open at this point.

Not necessarily. If I were a GM I would make him my max offer but put a time limit on it so that I could plan for plan B should he turn it down. Any offer I made after that would be for less or none at all. 

On 4/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, Ross Rhea said:

With the current status of the Sabres could Skinner be waiting to see who is hired as coach before he signs here or elects FA? 

Did he not sign earlier in the year because he wasn't a Housley fan?

Whatever the case, hope he signs here. 

Considering his contract will most likely span several coaching regimes with the Sabres, that shouldn't be the slightest concern.