Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

You can structure the payout of money this way, however the Cap Hit over the every year of the deal will be 7.5m AAV

You can vary the actual salary year to year, but there is a limit in how much it can vary.  Without looking it up, I think its 25% or something.  You are correct that the cap hit would be the same each year even if the salary is not, but contracts with very extreme differences in salary, like the one above, are no longer allowed under the current CBA.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

You can vary the actual salary year to year, but there is a limit in how much it can vary.  Without looking it up, I think its 25% or something.  You are correct that the cap hit would be the same each year even if the salary is not, but contracts with very extreme differences in salary, like the one above, are no longer allowed under the current CBA.

Does that apply to signing bonuses?  ROR's contract is $1M per year salary, the rest is all signing bonus (the $7M one-time payment JBot avoided by moving him before July 1 was the signing bonus).  The advantage to the player is that you get your money for the season up front.  Also, if a player gets docked pay for suspension, I'm pretty sure that gets paid based on salary but not bonuses.

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Does that apply to signing bonuses?  ROR's contract is $1M per year salary, the rest is all signing bonus (the $7M one-time payment JBot avoided by moving him before July 1 was the signing bonus).  The advantage to the player is that you get your money for the season up front.  Also, if a player gets docked pay for suspension, I'm pretty sure that gets paid based on salary but not bonuses.

I believe that it does apply to signing bonuses as well as salary.

4 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

A new, lower salary cap limit was negotiated for the collective bargaining agreement starting with the 2012–13 season.[3] To transition to the new cap, each team had two amnesty buyoutopportunities: after the 2012–13 season and after the 2013–14 season, to release a player (or specify a player already released) that is bought out in full, counting against the players' overall share in revenues, but not counting towards the team's salary cap. The contract also limits salary variance on contracts from year to year to no more than 35% and no year can be less than 50% of the highest year.[11] This was done due to the increasing frequency of teams signing star NHL players signing front-loaded contracts with the intention of lowering the salary's annual average, and thus, lowering the cap hit. One notable incident of this involved Ilya Kovalchuk, who signed a 17-year deal with the New Jersey Devils in July 2010, prompting the NHL to nullify the contract. Other similar incidents have involved Chris ProngerRoberto Luongo and Marian Hossa.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Speaking of reading deeply into everything: according to Mittelstadt’s Instagram Skinner is at the Masters with Casey, Sheary and Scott Wilson.

I honestly feel like he's not debating anything right now. He's either 100% looking to stay or he's decided he's going to UFA.

15 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

If he was going to sign, it would have already been done. He's testing free agency. 

He will probably go to the legal tampering period and see what is out there, and then possibly decide to take Buffalo’s Offer depending on what’s out there. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He will probably go to the legal tampering period and see what is out there, and then possibly decide to take Buffalo’s Offer depending on what’s out there. 

We need a better phrase than legal tampering. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

8 years is still available in that time frame, right?

16 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It really looks like a deep free agent class this year. It could be a buyers market and Jbott is basically saying he won't overpay when there will be so many other really good players out there available. 

If not Skinner which guy do you think we go after?

48 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If not Skinner which guy do you think we go after?

If Anders Lee, the captain of the Islanders goes on the market, we should roll out the red carpet for him. He is a very good player, scores, is very physical and a leader. If we can't land him then I hope we at least add one winger to improve our forwards. There are several twenty goal scoring winger, Brock Nelson, Nyqvist, Ferland, Dzingle, Simmons, Brett Connolly

id also give Jamie McGinn a look, I guess he was injured this year, but he'd sure be an improvement over some of the guys we have if he was healthy. I also like Filppua. 

• Like (+1) 1