Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

Briere/Drury all over again (except with one guy this time...)

Fans back them would try and undervalue them, talk themselves out of not wanting to overpay for them, they weren't as good as we make them out to be......

It's ok, the Sabres arent in a position where they need to overpay for someone who can score goals, they have plenty of those guys already on the roster.......

Right now, Skinner and his agent hold all the cards, he might be in a slump right now (seems like it almost started around the time he took that hit that we all thought he was done for the season for during the game), but he is still a 30+ goal scorer on a team with few goal scorers. Management ( and ownership) are in a position where losing a player like this cause they want him cheap or at a reasonable deal is going to have an already angry fanbase looking for blood. This team needs to add more goal scorers to what they already have, not spend the offseason trying to replace one of the top ones they had.

I sincerely hope the Sabres operate based on what is best for the franchise and not general fan emotion.  Cap management is an essential part of today's NHL.  I don't think that's even debatable.  Yes he scores goals.  Yes I hope he stays but I'm not overpaying him just because we don't have anyone else right now. 

I think he does want to be here.  I think the Sabres want him to be here.  There should be enough wiggle room to pay him slightly more than Botts feels comfortable while keeping the contract within reason.  IMO $9.25 x 8 years is not reasonable (as had been his rumored ask).

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

I sincerely hope the Sabres operate based on what is best for the franchise and not general fan emotion.  Cap management is an essential part of today's NHL.  I don't think that's even debatable.  Yes he scores goals.  Yes I hope he stays but I'm not overpaying him just because we don't have anyone else right now. 

I think he does want to be here.  I think the Sabres want him to be here.  There should be enough wiggle room to pay him slightly more than Botts feels comfortable while keeping the contract within reason.  IMO $9.25 x 8 years is not reasonable (as had been his rumored ask).

Well atleast you can be excited and hold your head high along with the Pegulas accountants and financial advisors knowing that the team is in good position under the cap. The empty arena missing during the Sabres losses as they cant win games 1-0 anymore like they did in the Hasek era and cant score goals will be good, maybe they can hang a banner that says they have the best cap situation and didnt overpay anyone.....

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well atleast you can be excited and hold your head high along with the Pegulas accountants and financial advisors knowing that the team is in good position under the cap. The empty arena missing during the Sabres losses as they cant win games 1-0 anymore like they did in the Hasek era and cant score goals will be good, maybe they can hang a banner that says they have the best cap situation and didnt overpay anyone.....

This has nothing to do with Pegulas accountants and financial advisors (I think you know that).  If there was no salary cap I suspect the Pegulas would be willing to quickly meet Skinner's demands.  That's not the case though.  You have a huge Opportunity Cost to consider.  What's worse than consistent losing?  Still losing and being stuck with multiple, unmovable, long term contracts.  Like it or not the core of this team is young and there should be internal growth.  I don't need to overpay a winger (who's partially the benefactor of playing with Jack) into his 35 year old season.  Again, like it or not this team's window is likely 2-3 years from now.  In that time Skinner will be in his very late 20's and we will slowly see the decline.

I know they need to take the next step and I'm with you on that.  Skinner is a good player but when you pay good players elite money for long term it has time and time again blown up in teams faces (Okposo and Molson wave hello).

• Like (+1) 1

I still think JBotts holds all the cards here.  As discussed before, would he rather pay $5-6 each to Ferland and Dzingel then to pay Skinner  $8-9 million?  Could JBotts be thinking if I am going to pay someone $9 million it will be Duschene who can play center and then slide to wing when Mitts develops.

I ultimately think that he will resign around the 1st of May to keep the Sabres fans excited in the off season. I want the contract to be 7 years at $53 million and an AAV of $7.57.

Dreger mentioned on Monday he has spoken to his Buffalo Sources and they are confident something will get done. Also Andrew Peters spoke with someone within the organization who  mentioned Skinner absolutely loves playing here which Dreger confirmed as well

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dreger mentioned on Monday he has spoken to his Buffalo Sources and they are confident something will get done. Also Andrew Peters spoke with someone within the organization who  mentioned Skinner absolutely loves playing here which Dreger confirmed as well

That's because there's no pressure.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/19/buffalo-sabres-jeff-skinner-contract-comparables/

Travis Yost uses Wins Above Replacement to calculate his contract should come in at 7-7.5 Million. 

In my reading between the lines a little...

Buffalo may need to pay 8 because of forces (fan and also supply and demand based) , but 8.5 is something no good GM would do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Derrico said:

IMO $9.25 x 8 years is not reasonable (as had been his rumored ask).

I agree and also heard that his agent wants over 9 so he is likely to go to July 1 and then when no one offers him more than 8 he will take our 8.5 over 8 years gladly - unless Botterill gets pissed off and drops it or offers it to someone else out of spite or anger. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree and also heard that his agent wants over 9 so he is likely to go to July 1 and then when no one offers him more than 8 he will take our 8.5 over 8 years gladly - unless Botterill gets pissed off and drops it or offers it to someone else out of spite or anger. 

Which he should on principle alone.  If it goes past July 1st.   He better have Plan B in motion when the clock strikes 12.  

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

We’re all in agreement he’s going to “test the market” at least, right?

I think so.  Unlike drury/briere I think there's still a decent chance he signs in Buffalo even if he tests the market.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m not in agreement on that.

i think JB gets it done before he hits free agency. And it will be for an inflated bloated long term contract the majority hates. North of 8 mil/per.

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

Nope, because...

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Remember once July 1st comes he is a UFA and no one can offer him the 8 years, not even Buffalo.

And that's where the Sabres have some leverage.  They are the only team who can offer this. I would rather barf than sign anyone over 24 to an 8 year deal but if Skinner agrees to a reasonable aav then fine.  Otherwise he's only getting the 7 max.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Skinner can still talk to other teams during the discussion period prior to July 1, and slide back to the Sabres for 8 as long he signs before the deadline, no?

Yes. According to this article.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/how-nhl-interview-period-improves-free-agency/

The *Interview* period is the prior week to the July 1st UFA date.

No deals are to be hammered out and is meant only for teams to show interest so the player and family can decide if that's a city they would like to even start negotiating with.

My understanding is a team can come up to Skinner and offer him 7years x 9 mill. Skinner gets to decide if he likes that city and weather he should wait another week to start the negotiations.

The down side is it's not a firm offer by the club. They can just say *never mind we found someone else* the next week.