Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

There is a difference between what we as fans want and hope he signs for, and what the market calls for. The market for a in his prime UFA having the kind of year he’s having, warrants a massive pay raise to the point of overpaying.

As a fan, I don’t like it. But he will get paid based in part by what the GM thinks he will bring while in his prime, playing with one of the top centers in the league who is just entering his prime.

From Skinners camp, NOW is the time to push and push hard for as much money and as long of a term as he can get. Again, it’s not what others signed their contracts for a few years ago. Pointing to other bad contracts teams signed players for carries no weight for an agent or player. 

I’d be shocked if he signs with the Sabres or any team quite frankly for under 8/per on a max or near max term. 

Edited by Zamboni

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t see how we can cringe at the thought of paying Kyle Okposo $42 million from age 28 to age 35 but not worry about paying Skinner $30 million more for two more prime seasons until he is the same age.

It’s not the fact we are almost certainly going to overpay Skinner that scares me, it’s the degree of overpayment people seem willing to accept.

Okposo got eight per cent of the cap after three seasons of 25 goals and 45 assists over 82 games and that was a mistake. Skinner should get 12 per cent after three seasons where he averaged 35 goals and 25 assists?

Mostly I'm just happy I have brow beaten you into using cap percentage ?

I'm definitely worried about it. The one thing that does give me solace is Skinner is a considerably better skater than Okposo ever was. But yea, I'm closer to you on this than most of the board. Of course, I also think it's reasonable to want to take a swing at things while Dahlin and Mitts are super cheap. 

14 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Mostly I'm just happy I have brow beaten you into using cap percentage ?

I'm definitely worried about it. The one thing that does give me solace is Skinner is a considerably better skater than Okposo ever was. But yea, I'm closer to you on this than most of the board. Of course, I also think it's reasonable to want to take a swing at things while Dahlin and Mitts are super cheap. 

What I notice about Skinner is that he is a competitor and usually motors along at near full throttle, most of the time.

He is a huge trash talker and muckraker and it's hard for guys like that to take nights off and disappear.

So at least you have some assurance he won't pull a Drew Stafford and disappear after he gets his shiny new K.

His current scoring slump works in our favor I think. If it continues some teams will question his ability to get it done when the games got tighter and the checking closer. I suspect we will be his highest offer. Maybe we too have to question making it TOO HIGH just to keep him. I like him, but he is just a 30ish goal scorer, not more, and should be paid accordingly.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

His current scoring slump works in our favor I think. If it continues some teams will question his ability to get it done when the games got tighter and the checking closer. I suspect we will be his highest offer. Maybe we too have to question making it TOO HIGH just to keep him. I like him, but he is just a 30ish goal scorer, not more, and should be paid accordingly.

Is this not an issue WE should also question?

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Exactly, which is why I said he should be paid like a 30 goal scorer and not a superstar. 

A player in his prime multi season  thirty goal scorer about to sign a big contract in 2019 will easily get more than 7.5 a year. In 2017 or before, probably not. But now, that’s what they go for. Skinner will get from some team max or near max term. He just will. It’s in his best interest to demand and get that.

And some team will sign him for more than 7.5. I would be shocked if he agreed to anything below 8.0. Like it or hate it, salaries are going up and up and up.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Has this contract talk contributed to his slump?

The pressure is getting to him or maybe he's upset at the team for being tough to deal with.

Or maybe he's a career 27 goal scorer and regressing to the mean.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Has this contract talk contributed to his slump?

The pressure is getting to him or maybe he's upset at the team for being tough to deal with.

Doubtful. He’s streaky. Always have been. Plus if he’s not on a line with an exceptional center, his stats take a dive. But then again, that’s true for most players haha.

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Doubtful. He’s streaky. Always have been. Plus if he’s not on a line with an exceptional center, his stats take a dive. But then again, that’s true for most players haha.

Most scorers are streaky.  This particular streak is helping the Sabres in negotiations.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Most scorers are streaky.  This particular streak is helping the Sabres in negotiations.

I don't see how you can say it is helping. Why? Because the talks are taking longer than expected? If he signs what is seen as a more reasonable deal than expected, maybe you can say that. I see Skinner as having most if not all of the leverage here. He and his agent know that the Sabres are under intense pressure from the fan base to sign him. And if they don't like Buffalo's best offer, they can go to free agency.

I don't see how his slump or the Sabres' latter season record help either party. My concern now is that, if Skinner signs here, he gets more than he his worth.  Dude needed to bring something the last three games - that's what the big money is for.

I'm at a point where I don't even care if he signs here or not. THis team has flatlined and they just seem to be totally lost as an organization. Just try and be watchable at least for the 50 year anniversary in 2020...that is my entire hope right now. They have zero chance of doing anything next year

No starting goalie, possibly losing Skinner, a defense which is an absolute mess, I mean total mess, minimum 5 forwards that need to be replaced, and a coach that has no answers. 80 points next year would be a miracle with this garbage.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't see how you can say it is helping. Why? Because the talks are taking longer than expected? If he signs what is seen as a more reasonable deal than expected, maybe you can say that. I see Skinner as having most if not all of the leverage here. He and his agent know that the Sabres are under intense pressure from the fan base to sign him. And if they don't like Buffalo's best offer, they can go to free agency.

Fewer goals should mean less money.  At one point, he was on  pace for 50--a benchmark, however artificial, that commands a higher salary.  Right now he's on pace for 41. 

Edited by Eleven

52 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I'm at a point where I don't even care if he signs here or not. THis team has flatlined and they just seem to be totally lost as an organization. Just try and be watchable at least for the 50 year anniversary in 2020...that is my entire hope right now. They have zero chance of doing anything next year

No starting goalie, possibly losing Skinner, a defense which is an absolute mess, I mean total mess, minimum 5 forwards that need to be replaced, and a coach that has no answers. 80 points next year would be a miracle with this garbage.

Oh yeah it would take a miracle to get over 80 points next year.

18 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Lol wut.

Don't care if Skinner signs... cite Skinner leaving as a reason why team would be terrible...?

Make no mistake, we need to sign Skinner.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, CallawaySabres said:

Wasn't there word that the Sabres are choosing to celebrate the anniversary this coming season?

Could be completely mis-remembering. 

Edited by Thorny