Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ottawa?

They have the cap space, but do you really think they think they are going to get their money's worth at $9 million per playing him with Chris Tierney?

Remember Skinner has averaged 31 goals and 54 points over 82 games over his career.

Edited by dudacek

That Friedman note sounds like someone is playing the media in the negotiation.  There's a lot you could read into that and even extrapolate on depending on how nuts you want to make yourself.

For example: Has Skinner seen enough in the locker room to up the ante with the Sabres and begin leaking terms to the media?  Perhaps force the hand of management.  He was happy before, but now he's seeing what things are like and he might not like it.

Then again, it might not be any of that.

And yes, it would be wonderful if they could move Skinner at the deadline with knowledge that he only wants to come back to Buffalo in the summer.  I'd love to be that optimistic.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

That he's asking $9MM is very believable.  That he EXPECTS $9MM is not believable nor likely.

I don’t doubt he’s asking 9mil. He goes high, Sabres go lower, meet in the middle. I still have hope he resigns by the deadline. As much as that hope maybe misplaced it gives excitement.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Jeff Skinner and his new contract with the Sabres will be fine.

I do not believe that Skinner is asking for $9M.  

He's breathing down Ovenchicken's neck for the Richard.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Serious question: what team in the league would give Skinner $9 million this summer as a UFA?

You'd need that much cap space, and a lot of confidence he is 40-goal man, not a 30-goal man.

What are we getting for our 25-goal man? You always pay for potential, no? Jeff is 26 and maybe on the cusp in a new era of offensive hockey of being a 40+ goal guy. Those guys aren't cheap.

What do I know? All I know is the Sabres will somehow muck it up — probably already have.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He's breathing down Ovenchicken's neck for the Richard.

What are we getting for our 25-goal man? You always pay for potential, no? Jeff is 26 and maybe on the cusp in a new era of offensive hockey of being a 40+ goal guy. Those guys aren't cheap.

What do I know? All I know is the Sabres will somehow muck it up — probably already have.

Well, he is breathing down Kanesie's neck for the consolation prize at present.

He will be paid a lot, but I still say he is not asking for $9M.  He knows that he is not worth that and I really believe that he wants to stay in Buffalo.  He knows that the Sabres will not pay $9M.

If you have Stone, Duchene, Panarin hitting the UFA market... does this hinder Skinner getting a top contract in UFA (if it were to get there?)  I'm wondering if he might sign with Buffalo just because he can lock in a good enough contract. 

I don't know that the market, and if Skinner is picky, is good enough to pay all of them.. Perhaps?

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sure wish there was some information on this. Is there even a serious effort being made to sing him before deadline or are that at an impasse? 

Don't worry, in the absence of any real information, SabreSpace is providing a narrative.

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sure wish there was some information on this. Is there even a serious effort being made to sing him before deadline or are that at an impasse? 

It's all in who you believe, but....

Before the trade deadline your biggest worry should be will he be traded as a rental. That means both sides talked and they were not close on a deal.

If they keep him post trade deadline then there is a very good chance that a deal will be made.

Since we have not heard any rumors of JS being shopped before the trade deadline, I'm running with a post trade deadline signing with the max 8 year contract that only the Sabres can offer him. 

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

ONE MINUTE LEFT

TRADE HIM

wait

SIGN HIM

The fact that he's still a Sabre tells me that he will sign with the team.  JBot is confident enough to keep him past the deadline without a deal.*

*And if I'm wrong it's time to fire JBot.

• Thanks (+1) 1