Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

On 2/15/2019 at 8:36 PM, freester said:

I think Skinner is gone. If I’m him I have no confidence in JB or PH. Skinner is doing everything he can but he just saw the team get rid of 2 of its top players (Kane and ROR). They have no impact players in Rochester ready to play in the NHL. Other than being close to home, why should he resign?  He will get huge money from many teams that are ready to contend. The Sabres are a shitshow and Skinner knows it. 

This. I think the plan was always to trade him at the deadline, but with how bad the team has been lately, I think they hold him to stop a revolt from occurring with season ticket holders and he ends up walking for nothing.

Edited by StuckinFL

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

Man, if we lose this guy because the team can't get its crap together........

You know that's exactly why he won't sign here

31 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

This. I think the plan was always to trade him at the deadline, but with how bad the team has been lately, I think they hold him to stop a revolt from occurring with season ticket holders and he ends up walking for nothing.

That would top even the dumbest move of all time which would be the Drury/Briere debacle

29 minutes ago, Weave said:

Man, if we lose this guy because the team can't get its crap together........

Yea, I've been thinking the same. Botterill has to address at least some of the issues before or at the deadline, no? Even if it's only 1 or 2, if it's showing progress...…?

If not, the trade partner list for me is short, 4 teams short.

Calgary, and I would want Tkachuck and their 1st.

NY Islanders, and I would want Bellows, Mayfield and a 1st.

Vegas, and I would want Karlsson and Whitecloud.

Vancouver, and I would want Boeser and their 1st.

Edited by Scottysabres

If they lose Skinner the fan base is revolting unless they trade him for a bundle. It won't be a money issue in my opinion and if Skinner wants to be here they will pay him. If he goes that along with ROR,Kane etc. would mean fans asking for heads to roll. Right up to ownership.

25 minutes ago, Radar said:

If they lose Skinner the fan base is revolting unless they trade him for a bundle. It won't be a money issue in my opinion and if Skinner wants to be here they will pay him. If he goes that along with ROR,Kane etc. would mean fans asking for heads to roll. Right up to ownership.

They got nothing for O'Reilly and Kane...they won't get much for Skinner

I hope JB knows whether Skinner really wants to re-sign with the Sabres, assuming the money is right.  The worst possible result would be if we do not trade him before the trading deadline and then he does not re-sign.  If we know he will not re-sign with the Sabres, he should be traded before the deadline.

I’m sure jbot knows what’s up.  What if skinner wants $11 mil per?  Is that on the organization if they don’t sign him?  Salary cap era.  I want him signed badly and for the right price we can but with jack making $10, Reinhart due for a big raise after next year and Dahlin (possibly mitts if he makes the jump over next two years) the year after you can’t completely break the bank here.  I think something gets done but it’s not incompetent of management he isn’t yet signed if he’s looking at north of $10 mil and the blame can’t be thrown at the sabres under this scenario imo.  

22 minutes ago, nucci said:

I’m convinced ROR asked for a trade last year  after he saw what a shitshow the team was l with an incompetent first time coach and a first time GM trading away one of his best players in Kane for very little. Now Skinner is seeing the same thing unfortunately and the future looks bleak. While I love the Pegulas and I have never criticized them for anything, they have hired too many first timers at GM and Coach.  

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's my point. The fans won't look kindly on losing him for little or nothing. I've always felt ROR being traded made no sense unless there was something we had no way of knowing about. Kane was a high risk personality wise so I give it the benefit of doubt. Never been one to look at ownership but if Skinner goes I'm beginning to look at them as well.

17 minutes ago, hsif said:

If we don't resign Mr. Skinner, I will feel defeated / exhausted / depleted /  disgusted / as a fan. A lot will happen between now and then, but without 53 I can't imagine being a better team in '19-'20......

Beyond whether we're better or worst in '19-'20 what they do in handling the Skinner issue for me will tell whether I have any confidence in ownership and those in management. Could they gain my confidence back if they lose Skinner? Possibly but it would be hard. At that point it's on Mr. Pegula not on our GM or coaching. It's time to hold ownership' s feet to the fire.

Edited by Radar

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

You know that's exactly why he won't sign here

That would top even the dumbest move of all time which would be the Drury/Briere debacle

SHOULD it come to pass they lose Skinner as he walks July 1, that would be painful & bad but it would not exceed 7/1/7 & the compounding events of the next few days.

Still not convinced that they're able to sign him to an 8 year deal for another 9 days anyway.  (It's always been the word of the talking heads vs the letter of the CBA & the talking heads have been quiet since before the all star break.)  IF they can't, there's very little possibility he's signing this week.  But there is a very real chance he'll be extended before they pack their gear for the summer.

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

SHOULD it come to pass they lose Skinner as he walks July 1, that would be painful & bad but it would not exceed 7/1/7 & the compounding events of the next few days.

Still not convinced that they're able to sign him to an 8 year deal for another 9 days anyway.  (It's always been the word of the talking heads vs the letter of the CBA & the talking heads have been quiet since before the all star break.)  IF they can't, there's very little possibility he's signing this week.  But there is a very real chance he'll be extended before they pack their gear for the summer.

If we are into late April and he is not signed then I start to assume the worst.

Right now I assume they have a hand shake deal on terms and amount. The deal will be officially signed some time after the CBA allows him to get the 8 years with the Sabres.

28 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

If we are into late April and he is not signed then I start to assume the worst.

Right now I assume they have a hand shake deal on terms and amount. The deal will be officially signed some time after the CBA allows him to get the 8 years with the Sabres.

The regular season ends in early-April & unless they right this ship quickly, that's when they'll be packing their bags.  I'd expect the deal to be signed in-season, but within 2 weeks of it being done at the latest.

We're pretty much in agreement on this as there's a very real possibility they've already agreed to the framework at a minimum.

Jason Botterill on Jeff Skinner's contract status: "Both his group and ours have obviously continued our dialogue. We haven’t done play-by-play in the media just because that’s the way we wanted to go about things. Both sides continue to work to try to find a resolution."

"Try(ing) to find a resolution" does not sound encouraging.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ... said:

Jason Botterill on Jeff Skinner's contract status: "Both his group and ours have obviously continued our dialogue. We haven’t done play-by-play in the media just because that’s the way we wanted to go about things. Both sides continue to work to try to find a resolution."

"Try(ing) to find a resolution" does not sound encouraging.

I think that's pretty much what he said with Sam and with Jack.

Anybody interested in a scenario where they do a surprise trade (rental) to get more picks/prospects and then resign him in the summer?   They may lose the ability for an 8 year deal though.  Lot of risk with this, but then again how much leverage do we really have if we don't move him....we may still lose him anyway.