Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

45 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why is this necessarily Buffalo? It's kind of a figment of people's imagination. I bet he would feel very comfortable/welcome anywhere they pay him.

Again, a lot of wishful thinking here.

It's not wishful thinking.  It's a scenario.  If Skinner wants to stay here, his agent won't get in the way.  Aside from that, Skinner is a free agent (speaking in the philosophical, not the legal, sense here) and will do what he wants because he is a free agent (now talking about the legal sense).

I'd love to have him back and I don't think the passage of time makes it less likely, at least not yet.  But I recognize his ability to decide for himself and can't control that, so I'm not going to get all spun up about it.

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why is this necessarily Buffalo? It's kind of a figment of people's imagination. I bet he would feel very comfortable/welcome anywhere they pay him.

Come on, PA. Not all circumstances you could put yourself in and the people you are teamed with (whether sports or any other job or project) are equal.  There is more to job/life-satisfaction than just money.  Where the money is about equal, and it will be for Skinner, there are plenty of other variables that factor in.

Do I like the location? Is it convenient for my lifestyle?  Is the environment appealing or, at least, not a bother?  

Do I like the people I work with day in and day out?  Do these people allow me to achieve the things I want to?  Do they allow me to be myself?  Do they even help to get more performance and satisfaction from my work? Is there a reasonable chance of success and growth for the group/team?  Is there job security here?

Et cetera. Et cetera. Et cetera.

If all of these factors are positive in the environment one is currently in, why change?  There is no reason other than money, but I contend Skinner's interest in money is realistic and that he realizes it will all even out effectively and, indeed, Buffalo with the extra year has the edge anyway.

If one keeps moving around place to place and is always in a state of beginning, you then keep putting off growth and maturity.  Skinner strikes me as the kind of person who, at this stage in his life, is interested in moving on beyond always beginning and would like to settle somewhat.  

There is no wishful thinking in any of this.  As you can see, the idea that Skinner is more likely to stay than move on is based on measured reason.

The only thing that would play against him staying, IMHO, is if he believes the organization is going in the wrong direction.

Edited by ...
Jeff Skinner was here.
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Players do sign for less money to play where they want to play.  Some also happen to sign for top dollars and get to be where they want to be.

OEL did that with Arizona this year.  He could have earned more elsewhere, but wanted to stay in Arizona.  A team that has had nothing but questions surrounding it, its arena, and its ownership for years.  Yet, he wanted to stay there.

It's not like it's unprecedented. 

Getting paid is certainly not the end all be all for players.

6 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Who knows if they would be leaving millions on the table? Other teams may view him as a product of Eichel's skill. Skinner may like playing first line minutes with Eichel.

Skinner has produced his entire career before coming here. 

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But it isn't about Math. We could sign Skinner to the max amount under the CBA and it has 0 impact on this years cap number. 

Dude, again I said I wasn’t sure. As in I was not sure if any contract would impact the cap to the point we would have to move someone to stay under the cap. 

This is the third time I have admitted this to you specifically. Not sure if you are screwing with me or if sleeping under power lines and eating paint chips is involved.

By the way, using numbers to prove that we do or DO NOT need to move players to accommodate his contract is math. 

??

Edited by SABRES 0311

I think Skinner is gone. If I’m him I have no confidence in JB or PH. Skinner is doing everything he can but he just saw the team get rid of 2 of its top players (Kane and ROR). They have no impact players in Rochester ready to play in the NHL. Other than being close to home, why should he resign?  He will get huge money from many teams that are ready to contend. The Sabres are a shitshow and Skinner knows it. 

1 hour ago, freester said:

I think Skinner is gone. If I’m him I have no confidence in JB or PH. Skinner is doing everything he can but he just saw the team get rid of 2 of its top players (Kane and ROR). They have no impact players in Rochester ready to play in the NHL. Other than being close to home, why should he resign?  He will get huge money from many teams that are ready to contend. The Sabres are a shitshow and Skinner knows it. 

I don't think that's true. One, we're not a ***** show. We have ups and downs and there is still much work to be done, but this is a much better team than last year and it's only JBot's second year. You add couple good FA's this off season and we are a contender.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will offer Skinner more money than we will. Most teams will see him as a 30 goal scorer who benefited from playing with Eichel in a primary role. We will overpay him to stay cause JBot can't afford to have us leap backwards. he won't worry about the overpaid number in his 6th-8th years that is inevitable.

Skinner will sign a big 8 year deal UNLESS he was never going to sign here anyway, but I can't imagine he has a dream destination like Tavares had. Toronto can't afford him with the guys they already have to pay so this is as close to "home" as he can get. 

14 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Dude, again I said I wasn’t sure. As in I was not sure if any contract would impact the cap to the point we would have to move someone to stay under the cap. 

This is the third time I have admitted this to you specifically. Not sure if you are screwing with me or if sleeping under power lines and eating paint chips is involved.

By the way, using numbers to prove that we do or DO NOT need to move players to accommodate his contract is math. 

??

I was literally just saying that his cap number wouldn't change this year regardless. That was about it... thought I was having a conversation about contracts and caphits. 

10 hours ago, freester said:

He wasn't even here when that happened. I think they may have a couple and there are other places to get players than Rochester. See Erod, CJ Smith, Pilut. 

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think that's true. One, we're not a ***** show. We have ups and downs and there is still much work to be done, but this is a much better team than last year and it's only JBot's second year. You add couple good FA's this off season and we are a contender.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will offer Skinner more money than we will. Most teams will see him as a 30 goal scorer who benefited from playing with Eichel in a primary role. We will overpay him to stay cause JBot can't afford to have us leap backwards. he won't worry about the overpaid number in his 6th-8th years that is inevitable.

Skinner will sign a big 8 year deal UNLESS he was never going to sign here anyway, but I can't imagine he has a dream destination like Tavares had. Toronto can't afford him with the guys they already have to pay so this is as close to "home" as he can get. 

Plus, those $'s go a lot further in Buffalo than they do in Toronto! He can have a bigger house.

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Skinner will sign a big 8 year deal UNLESS he was never going to sign here anyway, but I can't imagine he has a dream destination like Tavares had. Toronto can't afford him with the guys they already have to pay so this is as close to "home" as he can get

Detroit has Larkin, and while they are a year or 2 behind the Sabres in build out, they are almost as close to home for Skinner.

I don't have a great deal of faith as of now, that the Sabres can stay ahead of Detroit competitively. As I said, as of now.

Edited by Scottysabres

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Detroit has Larkin, and while they are a year or 2 behind the Sabres in build out, they are almost as close to home for Skinner.

I don't have a great deal of faith as of now, that the Sabres can stay ahead of Detroit competitively. As I said, as of now.

true but Windsor's a s***hole and it's a tougher drive to T-dot in the winter. If he signs in Buffalo my guess is he buys a big house in St. Catherines (if he wants the family to be over the border)

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

true but Windsor's a s***hole and it's a tougher drive to T-dot in the winter. If he signs in Buffalo my guess is he buys a big house in St. Catherines (if he wants the family to be over the border)

The real question is will you and I get complimentary suite tickets for life as a show of "good faith negotiating"?

It just has to be in the contract ?

9 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

The real question is will you and I get complimentary suite tickets for life as a show of "good faith negotiating"?

It just has to be in the contract ?

lol - this is a damn fine idea.

I dunno, maybe they can throw in a Tim Horton's franchise to seal the deal or something. I mean ROR isn't around to drive into it so it might work. 

I just hope he wants to be here and signs. If he doesn't, I have no idea what will happen to us, but it probably won't be good. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

??

I don't think they'll need to move anybody. Moulson's $3.9 comes off after this year, Pominville's $5.6 comes off at the end of this year. There's over $9mil right there and Skinner is already making close to $6. Let's go extreme and say the Ballerina got $10mil/yr. The team would only need $mil extra so they still have an extra $5mil laying around. I'm not against re-signing Pominville for some veteran leadership if he doesn't retire, but there's no way he's getting the $5.6mil he used to make. Maybe $2mil. 

11 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I don't think they'll need to move anybody. Moulson's $3.9 comes off after this year, Pominville's $5.6 comes off at the end of this year. There's over $9mil right there and Skinner is already making close to $6. Let's go extreme and say the Ballerina got $10mil/yr. The team would only need $mil extra so they still have an extra $5mil laying around. I'm not against re-signing Pominville for some veteran leadership if he doesn't retire, but there's no way he's getting the $5.6mil he used to make. Maybe $2mil. 

Well I’m sold. Make it rain for Skinner and let’s get it on.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:36 PM, freester said:

You make a good case for trading him at deadline. The farm doesn't have a lot on it and maybe, just maybe a team would feel Skinner would put them over the top in a cup race and would be will to give up a good young defensive prospect and first rounder. If we keep falling farther behind in the playoff race and if Skinner isn't signed soon, it an option that at least needs to be studied