Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Someone's going to have to explain to me why he and his agent would want to leave millions on the table to sign early with Buffalo.

His contract will be around $8 million no matter where he goes.  He can get the eighth year by only staying with Buffalo.  He would lose money in the long run if he only signs a seven year contract elsewhere as an UFA.

Someone's going to have to explain to me why he and his agent would want to leave millions on the table to sign early with Buffalo.

Who knows if they would be leaving millions on the table? Other teams may view him as a product of Eichel's skill. Skinner may like playing first line minutes with Eichel.

2 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Someone answer this for me, in order to get the 8 years does he have to sign before July 1st.  If he waits to become a free agent and still signs with Buffalo is the max only 7 years since he became a UFA?

No, he can sign whenever.  If it goes after July 1 Buffalo is the only team that can offer him 8.

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’ll say it:  concern is creeping in. 

Yes I think we are looking at the following scenarios either:

1.  He signs 8 year 78 million which is way too much or

2.  Leaves as UFA

I don't see a scenario where he gets traded at deadline for significant compensation due to his NMC

14 minutes ago, freester said:

Yes I think we are looking at the following scenarios either:

1.  He signs 8 year 78 million which is way too much or

2.  Leaves as UFA

I don't see a scenario where he gets traded at deadline for significant compensation due to his NMC

I thought Skinner waived his NMC, thereby losing that clause.

I think it's just as important to Skinner to be someplace where he feels comfortable and welcome as much as he wants a chance to win and collect points.  I think the odds of him staying here are greater than it looks from the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

No, he can sign whenever.  If it goes after July 1 Buffalo is the only team that can offer him 8.

I think there is something in the CBA about the trade deadline and the 8 years. You have to be on the new team before the deadline or something along those lines. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think there is something in the CBA about the trade deadline and the 8 years. You have to be on the new team before the deadline or something along those lines. 

This is correct.  I should have been more precise with my language and said: So long as he remains in Buffalo past the trade deadline, Buffalo can offer an 8-year deal.  if it goes to 7/1, Skinner is a UFA, but Buffalo can still offer and 8-year deal, while everyone else can only go to 7.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Because ultimately, his agent works for Skinner, and if Skinner expresses an preference for working a deal in Buffalo, that's what he will do.

1 hour ago, ... said:

I think it's just as important to Skinner to be someplace where he feels comfortable and welcome as much as he wants a chance to win and collect points.  I think the odds of him staying here are greater than it looks from the outside.

Why is this necessarily Buffalo? It's kind of a figment of people's imagination. I bet he would feel very comfortable/welcome anywhere they pay him.

35 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Because ultimately, his agent works for Skinner, and if Skinner expresses an preference for working a deal in Buffalo, that's what he will do.

Again, a lot of wishful thinking here.

Why is this necessarily Buffalo? It's kind of a figment of people's imagination. I bet he would feel very comfortable/welcome anywhere they pay him.

Again, a lot of wishful thinking here.

Skinner, or any player, will be comfortable with the $ anywhere they sign and would be welcomed, which does not translate directly to said player's comfort level with the team and city.

I disagree with you on the wishful thinking part.  That is, indeed, how it works, as Doo (let me know if you don't like Doo, OK Doo?) pointed out.

If Skinner is not interested in Buffalo he’s done a great job faking

His recent comments basically acknowledged his career year is a product of his environment and every thing I’ve seen and heard from him radiates that he’s having fun playing here.

Skinner will get paid no matter who he signs with. To paraphrase Herb Brooks, it’s not the best player, it’s the right player. Skinner is the right player for where this team is at and where they are going.

He could have gone to any team that wanted him but he chose Buffalo. He chose Buffalo I would guess because he is thinking about his future not only financially but competitively as well.

With no proof I believe a commitment was made to stay. The terms will be decided based on his production at the deadline or end of season. If I had to guess Skinner signs on the trade deadline and if necessary we move pieces to facilitate. But maybe we won’t have to move anyone. I didn’t do the math.

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Skinner will get paid no matter who he signs with. To paraphrase Herb Brooks, it’s not the best player, it’s the right player. Skinner is the right player for where this team is at and where they are going.

He could have gone to any team that wanted him but he chose Buffalo. He chose Buffalo I would guess because he is thinking about his future not only financially but competitively as well.

With no proof I believe a commitment was made to stay. The terms will be decided based on his production at the deadline or end of season. If I had to guess Skinner signs on the trade deadline and if necessary we move pieces to facilitate. But maybe we won’t have to move anyone. I didn’t do the math.

Why would we have to move pieces at the trade deadline if Skinner signs?