Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

2 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

Skinner and Okposo have very little in common once you consider their situations on the teams they played for prior to buffalo and their style of play. Okposo produced on the island playing with one of the best centers in the NHL, and then came to Buffalo where he was expected to produce in a similar manner without the benefit of John Tavares (who is also responsible for Matt Moulson and his contract). Skinner was the guy in Carolina and drove the play every single night and produced. This is his first season playing with a competent center and is continuing to bring his play from Carolina and then some. Skinner has always been a stud, Okposo was a stud with JT. There are plenty of examples in the NHL of chemistry with between certain centers and wingers (think Crosby), that winter getting too large of a contract because of that production, and then never living up to his contract. That’s not the case with Skinner. The only real concern there should be head issues.

Skinner > Okposo. Even if Skinner's goal production fades before his long term contract is done, he will always have great wheels.  Okposo has two speeds....slow and slower.  Skinner has quick hands and I think is more of pure sniper as well.

6 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

Skinner and Okposo have very little in common once you consider their situations on the teams they played for prior to buffalo and their style of play. Okposo produced on the island playing with one of the best centers in the NHL, and then came to Buffalo where he was expected to produce in a similar manner without the benefit of John Tavares (who is also responsible for Matt Moulson and his contract). Skinner was the guy in Carolina and drove the play every single night and produced. This is his first season playing with a competent center and is continuing to bring his play from Carolina and then some. Skinner has always been a stud, Okposo was a stud with JT. There are plenty of examples in the NHL of chemistry with between certain centers and wingers (think Crosby), that winter getting too large of a contract because of that production, and then never living up to his contract. That’s not the case with Skinner. The only real concern there should be head issues.

I definitely agree. But that fear is still very much there that it could bite us in the ***. Okposo's contract definitely makes me leary of throwing money to someone based on one years production. His other seasons were good, don't get me wrong, but not worth over 7x7. If someone offer sheets Dahlin for max contract after we sign Samson (or someone that replaces him) and a 2c, and we have to match it, that's it, we're done if Skinner isn't producing at an elite level. We need to shed that contract ASAP. I'm hoping Seattle can be bribed with picks to take him. I know it's a fools hope. Only other option is a compliance buyout at the next strike.

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Kane got $7 x 7 while missing a lot more games than Skinner and not being as prolific a scorer. Jeff's chemistry with Jack is obvious and they have had a look at him for a year, unlike signing Okposo, Moulson etc... in July, from another team.

Moulson played 44 games for the Sabres the year before they signed him. They knew what they were getting. 

As for Skinner, he's shooting at double his career average. I would assume Botterill will point to that. I think 8mil is probably the range we are talking. The question is, will he be worth that for 8 years. 

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Moulson played 44 games for the Sabres the year before they signed him. They knew what they were getting. 

As for Skinner, he's shooting at double his career average. I would assume Botterill will point to that. I think 8mil is probably the range we are talking. The question is, will he be worth that for 8 years. 

Very few are "worth it" for 8 years but you hope for a bunny hill slope decline, not a Wile E. Coyote off of a cliff drop off.

8 years is the term it often takes to get these done. I see Skinner as a great skater and one of those guys that can keep his wheels, like a Marleau. I hope I'm right.

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, PASabreFan said:

I haven't been reading along in this thread or any other Skinner threads/discussions. Can someone tell me if there is any opposition to signing Skinner? Any concern about the term/cost? Any concern about his improved production during a contract year? Thank you and have a nice day.

Unless Botterill has some ridiculous timeline where he's not intending to content until we bear the fruits of those 4 1sts in the next 2 drafts, then we need to sign him. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

here's my question. Has Skinner said he would like to stay?

He has mentioned how comfortable he is here in the locker room and how he enjoys being close to family and friends.

Darren Dreger has mentioned in the past he knows for a fact Skinner wants to stay in Buffalo  

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If the Sabres trade Skinner who would be the likely team and what would the return we hope for be?

Im guessing a top six plus a prospect. Not sure which team. Really hope we don’t just get a bunch of picks.

I would temper expectations if he does get moved, only for the reason it’s shaping up to be a buyers market and there maybe a lot of competition with Duchenne, Mark Stone and possibly Panarin on the move. 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He has mentioned how comfortable he is here in the locker room and how he enjoys being close to family and friends.

Darren Dreger has mentioned in the past he knows for a fact Skinner wants to stay in Buffalo  

I would temper expectations if he does get moved, only for the reason it’s shaping up to be a buyers market and there maybe a lot of competition with Duchenne, Mark Stone and possibly Panarin on the move. 

I mean I want him resigned for the long haul so in terms worse case scenario I’d be cool with a real 2C and a prospect with legitimate potential. Maybe Nylander or Olof could compliment Jack and Sam.

Then again I’m not a GM so I may be over or under valuing all of them.

5 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I mean I want him resigned for the long haul so in terms worse case scenario I’d be cool with a real 2C and a prospect with legitimate potential. Maybe Nylander or Olof could compliment Jack and Sam.

Then again I’m not a GM so I may be over or under valuing all of them.

We all play GMs here on the board, run with it 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We all play GMs here on the board, run with it 

Well in that case.

1. Trade Sam for a 2C. 

2. Try Nylander on Jack’s wing

3. Sign Skinner 8x8

4. Package KO with Girgensons for picks

5. Replace the above two with CJ and another prospect deserving of a shot

6. Trade Scandella for a #4 dman in need of a change of scenery 

Im Tim Murray and I approve this message.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was a buyer's market last year too. It always is now.

I hope it is true that Skinner will want to be here, but if that is the case, why not sign now? I'm sure there is a solid offer on the table.

He gets an extra year by signing after the trade deadline.  Would be the only hang-up if indeed he intends to stay.  

26 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

He gets an extra year by signing after the trade deadline.  Would be the only hang-up if indeed he intends to stay.  

That's the way we've interpreted it.  The talking heads seem to think he can get the 8th year now.  Because the CBA EXPLICITLY states he can't get it but the pundits (who actually are in the loop with league executives) believe he can AND this is the NHL we're talking about, he probably can get it right now.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's the way we've interpreted it.  The talking heads seem to think he can get the 8th year now.  Because the CBA EXPLICITLY states he can't get it but the pundits (who actually are in the loop with league executives) believe he can AND this is the NHL we're talking about, he probably can get it right now.

I think you give hockey pundits far too much credit, but, at the end of the day, what do I know?  

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I think you give hockey pundits far too much credit, but, at the end of the day, what do I know?  

Not really.  Simply expect that NHL Executives have difficulties understanding and accurately interpreting the English language & their own rules & policies written therein.