Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

8x8 is still the max I would go, but I'd rather have him at 7.5, seems to be more league standard.     And he is having a big year, don't know if he can keep this up.

Pay the man, but on his average scoring, not on this year alone.

He's shooting at double his career sh%. This is probably going to be his best goal scorer year of his career. Jbott should hopefully know that. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, inkman said:

(Maybe you should visit the thread where everyone wants to break up 53 & 9) 

I guess there is some merit to trying this, given our lack of consistent 2nd level scoring

but no I don't pay attention to much of the non sense

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's shooting at double his career sh%. This is probably going to be his best goal scorer year of his career. Jbott should hopefully know that. 

This very possibly will be his best goal scoring year of his entire career.  But, provided he stays glued to Eichel's hip his shooting percentage should remain above his career Carolina average.  In Buffalo, he likely will remain a 40 GS compared to being a 30 GS as a Cane.

Pretty sure both Botterill & Skinner's agent expect that.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Playing with Jack, Buffalo’s Proximity to his hometown and the fact WNY is a hockey market are all positives for Skinner. 

Botterill and Newport Sports will get it done 

All true.  There's just too many reasons for both parties to get this done to expect they don't get it done.  They really are ideal fits for each other.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I wonder if being an all-star has increased his 'ask'?

Who cares?  Really, just pay him.  Lets get this done.

If anything, the fans voting him into the All-Star game may have softened him up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Am I the only one that is more than a little worried about what this deal is going to look like?  If its Kanes 7  x 7 then sign me up.  Something like 8 x $9?  I'm not sure I want to go there.

post-3401-0-12992100-1507224748.jpg

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
why is that thingie so small ????? I think you get the idea ... winkie - winkie

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Am I the only one that is more than a little worried about what this deal is going to look like?  If its Kanes 7  x 7 then sign me up.  Something like 8 x $9?  I'm not sure I want to go there.

I expect 8 x 8.5 and no higher.

Scoring seems to be up this year.  Kucherov with 72 points in 44 games (wowzah!) and the Colorado trio on a terror.  However, there is no questioning Skinner is a goal scoring machine and one of the best in the league.  I think he’s due $8-9M AAV.  He is 10x the player Kane ever was on this team.  I liked Kane but Skinner is a different player and at another level when it comes to scoring goals.

I really hope we sign him long term.  He’s a joy to watch play.  I love the primal screams when he scores goals.  You can tell it doesn’t get old for him.  I also like that he gets under opposing team’s skin and is just a nuisance to play against.  I used to think he was a bit of a “diver” but that seems to be a thing of the past.  

Just think, Jack is coming into his prime.  He and Skinner can terrorize the league for the next 5-6 years.  I’ll take me some of dat!

• Like (+1) 1

From Darren Dreger, transcribed by Chris Nichols from his WGR Appearance 

During a larger discussion on the Sabres, the Insider revealed his latest thoughts on what’s going on with that particular contract situation.

“My sense is Botterill and company, they’re working pretty aggressively with Newport to try and come to terms with Jeff Skinner,” indicated Dreger. “I’m not saying that a deal is imminent, but I know that it’s top priority for Botterill and the Sabres now.”

The conversation zoomed in on Skinner at this point, with the Insider basically being asked about the dynamics of any potential decision needing to be made by the Sabres regarding Skinner - a pending unrestricted free agent - as the February 25 trade deadline approaches.

“I don’t think that they’re there yet,” noted Dreger. “I think it’d be real tough, wouldn’t it, to roll the dice.But in saying that, the gap would have to be like the grand canyon to make a determination that you’re just not going to be able to get it done. 

“And you can also in the process get a feel for what the player is thinking. If the player tells you - and I’m not saying Skinner has hinted this at all, I’d be surprised if he has - if you get the sense from the player or his representative that there’s a strong chance that this guy wants to test free agency, well isn’t that a pretty big red flag for the management group. 

“Where then you go, ‘Alright, we’re not playing that game. We’ve made our best offer. If you’re not willing to work off that, then we’ve got no choice. We’ve got to maximize our property and our asset here.’

“I don’t feel that with the Skinner negotiation, and it’s pretty obvious why. He’s been such a good fit with the Buffalo Sabres, and Jack Eichel is deserving of a fair bit of credit as to why, but the Sabres have been a great fit for Jeff Skinner. Why would you rock the boat by going into free agency when you’ve got a best-case scenario. He’s going to get the term. He’s going to get the money. And he’s got the hockey side covered with Buffalo.

“So I’d be really surprised if they can’t come to terms.”

Skinner is in the final season of a six-year, $34.35 million contract, which carries a $5.725 million cap hit, and also includes a no-move clause.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Darren Dreger, transcribed by Chris Nichols from his WGR Appearance 

During a larger discussion on the Sabres, the Insider revealed his latest thoughts on what’s going on with that particular contract situation.

“My sense is Botterill and company, they’re working pretty aggressively with Newport to try and come to terms with Jeff Skinner,” indicated Dreger. “I’m not saying that a deal is imminent, but I know that it’s top priority for Botterill and the Sabres now.”

The conversation zoomed in on Skinner at this point, with the Insider basically being asked about the dynamics of any potential decision needing to be made by the Sabres regarding Skinner - a pending unrestricted free agent - as the February 25 trade deadline approaches.

“I don’t think that they’re there yet,” noted Dreger. “I think it’d be real tough, wouldn’t it, to roll the dice.But in saying that, the gap would have to be like the grand canyon to make a determination that you’re just not going to be able to get it done. 

“And you can also in the process get a feel for what the player is thinking. If the player tells you - and I’m not saying Skinner has hinted this at all, I’d be surprised if he has - if you get the sense from the player or his representative that there’s a strong chance that this guy wants to test free agency, well isn’t that a pretty big red flag for the management group. 

“Where then you go, ‘Alright, we’re not playing that game. We’ve made our best offer. If you’re not willing to work off that, then we’ve got no choice. We’ve got to maximize our property and our asset here.’

“I don’t feel that with the Skinner negotiation, and it’s pretty obvious why. He’s been such a good fit with the Buffalo Sabres, and Jack Eichel is deserving of a fair bit of credit as to why, but the Sabres have been a great fit for Jeff Skinner. Why would you rock the boat by going into free agency when you’ve got a best-case scenario. He’s going to get the term. He’s going to get the money. And he’s got the hockey side covered with Buffalo.

“So I’d be really surprised if they can’t come to terms.”

Skinner is in the final season of a six-year, $34.35 million contract, which carries a $5.725 million cap hit, and also includes a no-move clause.

Pretty sure Skinner no longer has a NMC.  Otherwise the rest of that analysis about whether the Sabres should cut bait should he not sign prior to the trade deadline is moot.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure Skinner no longer has a NMC.  Otherwise the rest of that analysis about whether the Sabres should cut bait should he not sign prior to the trade deadline is moot.

Did he waive it to come here and if so does that mean it is no longer and issue. 

3 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

Did he waive it to come here and if so does that mean it is no longer and issue. 

Unless I am mistaken, when a player with a NMC waives said clause in accepting a trade (Skinner did, to Buffalo), it is then up to the new team whether they want to "honor" the NMC from then on, or not. 

I feel like GMs default to "no" on that one.

11 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

When a player changes teams the decision to keep a NTC /NMC belongs to the new team.  Can't see why the Sabres would have chosen to honor it.  Haven't seen any articles stating that they did honor it.  But if they did, the rest of Dreger's article seems rather pointless, eh?

I want him signed, but I have to wonder why Carolina moved him for what they did. Makes me think they knew he wouldn't sign there and with the season he's had, the price must be even higher now. So I don't think there's any dilemna for JBot. You make him your BEST offer before the deadline and if he doesn't take it you have to move him for a solid return.

I dunno but I hope he isn't pulling a Tavares type move and secretly wants to play for his hometown or some team he loved growing up with what he sees as a cup future. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hometown-hockey/dr-oetker-giuseppe-pizzeria-hometown-jeff-skinner/