How do we unload Okposo and his contract?

freester

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah but TBL will only have about $6m in cap space to fill 7 roster spots next season, including re-signing Brayden Point who will be an RFA, but is well over a 100pt pace.     

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

He will be our new second line centre after JBot drops an offer sheet on his desk, forever altering the balance of power in the Adams Division ?

How about we just get JT MIller in trade in the off-season.  He's like their only big money forward without a NTC/NMC before next season.

• Like (+1) 2

Okposo plays his best along the wall but we're not that kind of team so he simply doesn't fit. I think he's a team guy though and that's good, we want some veteran leadership with the kids. I'd move him if there was a deal to be had, but I doubt there is so he just plays it out dropping down the lineup until he's gone like Pommer. 

I simply don't trust Duchene so I say pass. Good in a contract year, trouble before that. No thank you. Character is needed in any free agent we sign.

The guy I would target, as I've said in other places, is Simmons. Exactly what this team needs. Size, good hands, great in front of the net and on the PP with decent speed and a bodyguard for Skinner and Jack so that Bogo doesn't have to fight everybody. 

The team I'd look at for deals however is Tampa. No way can they keep and sign that roster for long. Talent to be had there with the right creative deal(s).

The Devils just put Cory Schneider on IR, claiming he was injured. To me it's rather suspicious considering he's had 1 win in his last 21 regular season games and he has a $6million cap hit for the next four years. 

I hate to find loopholes in rules, but if others are doing it why can't we? With Okposo's recent head issues, what's to say they can't put him on IR and free up cap space?

12 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

KO wears the A on this team for a reason.  A very good reason.

Maybe the coaches are asking him to modify his game to be more of a 'power forward' and not to worry as much about scoring goals.

Fair point. He could just be in a slump and his head issues really aren't a problem. I'd like to see him turn it around and he very might. 

Only problem I have is he is probably a great leader. Unfortunately a very expensive leader with long term. 

He ain't going anywhere because nobody will take on that contract. So we're going to have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I haven't looked at the buyout calculator, but it might be much more beneficial if they can wait one more year. Which would give time to find out if he is in a slump or if his career really is done. 

14 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Surely KO knows he hasnt lived up to his contract. If he was such a class guy, it'd be nice if he'd restructure his deal to give the team more flexibility to improve the roster.

But of course that won't happen, KO is no Tom Brady

And the NHL is no NFL.  There is no 'restructuring' in the NHL.  Contract are fixed when signed and are all guaranteed money (exception: rookie ELCs and senior veteran one-year contracts can have performance bonuses.)

17 hours ago, freester said:

How much do people want Duchenne as our #2 center?  if you think he is very good, he certainly fills a major need.  To sign him and Skinner would require moving Okposo.  Would you trade with  Ottawa now for an extended Duchenne (assume 7yr 49) for Okposa, Guhle and a number 1?  Feel free to make modifications that you think Ottawa would accept.

Assuming that Ottawa is in full rebuild, Guhle and the 1st will help, but, the anchor contract that is Okposo might make them think twice, in a rebuild, you want to get younger and add assets, not get older with little production (adding Okposo)

1 hour ago, freester said:

This is indicative of an extremely wimpy team.  Besides Ristolainen and Bogo, is there anyone else who hits?

This might be the most played out argument on hockey forums. Go look at Edmonton, they have a bunch of guys who "hit". How's Vegas doing this year? They have the top 2 hitters in the league. The team isn't whimpy. They lack talent not toughness. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This might be the most played out argument on hockey forums. Go look at Edmonton, they have a bunch of guys who "hit". How's Vegas doing this year? They have the top 2 hitters in the league. The team isn't whimpy. They lack talent not toughness. 

Agree with this statement as clearly talent is the problem.  I was responding to the poster who was impressed by the fact the Okposa was 3rd on the team in hits.  Unfortunately devoid of talent for 6 million a year...

2 hours ago, freester said:

This is indicative of an extremely wimpy team.  Besides Ristolainen and Bogo, is there anyone else who hits?

McCabe, Scandella, Beaulieu, Larsson, Girgensons and Elie.

But we do have a lot of non-hitters. Fortunately the guys on our top line seem to thrive in the tough areas.

Unless there is a major shift in the playing style of the NHL...just stop signing middle age free agents (or trading for them and then signing them) to long term contracts UNLESS they are great skaters.

Overall, how much more proof do we need that in the long run, signing just about high priced free agents usually hurts more than it helps by the mid-point of the contract?  Resign your own, only use Free agency if you find a screaming bargain.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

I think Okposo is a real character guy. A leader. Although the contract is steep, how much value should be placed on a string positive locker room?

A lot.  He is overpaid for his production, but how do you put a price on his, or any player's, leadership.  Same with Pominville (I hope I got that spelled right).

I noticed that you are in Glasgow.  Welcome to another European.  Sabres fans are everywhere.

I'm in New Scotland, commonly known as Nova Scotia.  It's a great place (even shrader says so), which is named after another great place.

My friends call me NS.  Feel free to so.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Vegas is in 2nd place in the Western Conference with 58 points, 2 points out of 1st place. (Tied for 3rd place in the entire NHL.)

5 minutes ago, Dank Dangleson said:

Vegas is in 2nd place in the Western Conference with 58 points, 2 points out of 1st place. (Tied for 3rd place in the entire NHL.)

And absolutely wore the Jets down in the playoffs to beat them 4 straight. Come playoff time, you need some grinders. After all, this is still the NHL.

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, freester said:

Agree with this statement as clearly talent is the problem.  I was responding to the poster who was impressed by the fact the Okposa was 3rd on the team in hits.  Unfortunately devoid of talent for 6 million a year...

I don’t recall stating that I was impressed by this fact. 

I only recall stating the fact itself, when you called Okposo “soft.”

Okposo 7 years, 42 million

O’Reilly 7 years, 52.5 million

Moulson 5 years, 25 million

Ennis 5 years, 23 million

Hodgson 6 years, 25.5 million

Leino 6 years, 27 million 

Ehrhoff 10 years, 40 million

Damn, after the decade we’ve been having, I see why @nfreeman is so gun shy about long-term deals.

We better hope Risto (6 years, 32 million) and Jack (8 years, 80 million) treat us a little better.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.