Scott Wilson on Waivers

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

Is this a sayonara waivers or a send him to Rochester to get some rehab playing time waivers??

If it was for a rehab assignment, he wouldn't need to clear waivers, would he?  He would just be assigned to Rochester, no?

Edited by Doohickie

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If it was for a rehab assignment, he wouldn't need to clear waivers, would he?  He would just be assigned to Rochester, no?

This.

Probably a calculated risk on Botterill’s part that no one picks up a 4th-liner who hasn’t played a game this year. Solves a roster squeeze, and lets him get in some game action until the next injury hits.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This.

Probably a calculated risk on Botterill’s part that no one picks up a 4th-liner who hasn’t played a game this year. Solves a roster squeeze, and lets him get in some game action until the next injury hits.

If he gets claimed to gets rid of another 2 year contract.  Re-entry waivers is also gone, so if and when he wants him back in Buffalo there will be no problem re-calling him.  Also by sending him down we get rid of his cap hit this season as the veteran cap savings and his contract size are about the same.  

But keeping Elie. Why?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I suspect there are limits on conditioning assignment lengths and the team has decided he needs more time in the A than they would be able to get if he was simply reassigned for conditioning. 

He may not clear waivers, but they must expect that his conditioning time needed is significant and worth exposing him.

That sounds the most logical Dark.

Who would want a player destined for a long term (month?) rehab assignment that is a 3/4 line depth guy with a two year contract?

I would say it's a calculated gamble with low odds of losing him.

Also sounds as if Botts is a bit of a gambler.

One could hypothesize that they needed to move someone off the roster because he needed to be activated and they didn't want to do that because they are working a person off the roster via a trade.  The trade hasn't happened so they needed to take a chance and hope Wilson clears.

They could hope he gets picked up too.  

Or it could simply be... we've got guys like you here and you've not been playing all season so you are the odd man out. We hope you clear, but if not, enjoy your new home.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Or it could be he hasn't played all year and they think he needs several weeks in Rochester to get up to speed so they are gambling on him passing waivers and rehabbing in RoChaCha

I'd think that, but Hunwick was sent down to rehab without waivers.  I don't think he's a much different situation than Wilson is he?  

I found some info about "conditioning assignments" in this discussion:

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/3/22/4135792/nhl-conditioning-assignment-rules-loan-stint

- can't be for more than 14 days

- player has to consent.

- player receives his NHL salary.

- no waivers.

IIRC some younger players can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

17 minutes ago, DonInBuffalo said:

I found some info about "conditioning assignments" in this discussion:

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/3/22/4135792/nhl-conditioning-assignment-rules-loan-stint

- can't be for more than 14 days

- player has to consent.

- player receives his NHL salary.

- no waivers.

IIRC some younger players can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

The second one is the main point that wasn't already mentioned, he would need to agree to the rehab stint.  There'd really be no reason not to though.  Wilson has a one way deal, so the 3rd point has no impact on his situation here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.