Housley and Roster Optimization

LGR4GM

10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

And he can't keep up with that first line anymore.  He had his 10(ish) games.

It is very difficult to optimize this roster, well the forwards at least.  We have 3 very good to great ones and than a bunch of 3rd / 4th liners and then a good 4th line until Burgy jumped ship.

Didnt he also have 7 goals in that time as well?

I don't think Scandella is any worse than last year, I just think the D is so much better and his style is less suited to this aggressive attacking D. So Scandella moving down the depth chart is a good thing isn't it? Personally I really liked Bogo/Dahlin as a pair but I suspect it's part of Housley's development program to play Dahlin with many different partners to learn from all of them.

I would not break up Skinner/Eichel, they have chemistry and you want a dynamic duo like that so you can give them lots of ice time and make teams defend them.

I think Thompson-Mitts-Samson might make a good line. Mitts is a playmaker, Thompson likes to shoot, and Sam is strong positionally and goes to the net. I could see some more rebounds and garbage goals if Thompson had a front of the net guy with him. Too often now he shoots and that's it, they take the puck.

As for Sobodka, he's never been an offense guy and should be on a pure checking line. I'd make our third line a checking line but since Housley's plan is roll all lines all the time (or so it was said way back) he doesn't really fit and I can see him being moved out at some point. 

Overall I'm content with what Housley has done and the system works, we just need more talent.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.