GDT - Devils @ Sabres, 7:00pm MSG, 1/8/2019

North Buffalo

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If this isn't a shot at Eichel then what it is?

A comment about how Reinhart has teriminator blood and reminds me of my favourite football player?

Following Favre's career as a kid, I quickly lost count of the times he seemed doubtful to play only to wake up on gameday to see a comment from him similar to Sam's "hey, woke up today, and the pain was gone!"

Also a little bit of Adam Banks Mighty Ducks action now that I think about it.

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A comment about how Reinhart has teriminator blood and reminds me of my favourite football player?

Following Favre's career as a kid, I quickly lost count of the times he seemed doubtful to play only to wake up on gameday to see a comment from him similar to Sam's "hey, woke up today, and the pain was gone!"

A little bit of Adam Banks Mighty Ducks action now that I think about it.

Sounds like the team just doesn't care about him as much as Jack ?

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As PackerBacker of forever...  my favorite was in 94 when they had to win to clinch the first NFC Central title in forever vs. the going-to-the-SB 1994 Steelers led by O'Donnell/Slash and that vicious defense. Favre makes a scramble for the goaline and is... terminated... short of it by Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene and who knows who else. Clearly wind knocked out or concussed, spitting blood as his linemen pick him up off the turf. Staggers to the sideline, stops, throws up some more blood (apparently he bit a good chunk of cheek off in the hit). And it being the '90s, the Packers take a timeout while the backup QB warms up (likely Ty Detmer or Mark Brunell at the time) but because it's said '90s there's no regard for player safety. Because of the timeout, he doesn't even have to miss a play. Staggers back to the huddle. Lines up. Rolls out. Touchdown pass.  (and of course, the outcome of the game was decided by the "Thanks, Yancey!" play.)

edit: Christmas eve 1995. Not 94, so Detmer was probably backup because Brunell would have already been in JAX. I'm not going to look that up though.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I hated Favre for a good chunk of his career.  I was living in Detroit in the 90s and he was on a divisional rival team, in a situation not unlike Brady vs. the Bills.  So I hated Favre.  Then I moved away from Detroit and I came to admire what a gamer the guy was.  He knew how to extend a play forever, then find the open guy... most of the time.  For the times he screwed up, he made many more plays that made you go WOW.

As for the game tonight, I hope Reino is in fact good to go.  I also hope Eich is back soon.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

As PackerBacker of forever...  my favorite was in 94 when they had to win to clinch the first NFC Central title in forever vs. the going-to-the-SB 1994 Steelers led by O'Donnell/Slash and that vicious defense. Favre makes a scramble for the goaline and is... terminated... short of it by Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene and who knows who else. Clearly wind knocked out or concussed, spitting blood as his linemen pick him up off the turf. Staggers to the sideline, stops, throws up some more blood (apparently he bit a good chunk of cheek off in the hit). And it being the '90s, the Packers take a timeout while the backup QB warms up (likely Ty Detmer or Mark Brunell at the time) but because it's said '90s there's no regard for player safety. Because of the timeout, he doesn't even have to miss a play. Staggers back to the huddle. Lines up. Rolls out. Touchdown pass.  (and of course, the outcome of the game was decided by the "Thanks, Yancey!" play.)

Wish I could say I witnessed this, but I didn't become a Packers fan until 1997. Then again, the magic of Favre is that he did this stuff on the regular. This guy played (and played well) with a broken thumb, on his throwing hand, to beat the Vikings. 

I'm not sure many of today's QBs could survive the type of game Favre played through in the 90s. Never mind while putting of 3 consecutive MVP awards.

Gotta be for the better that the game places so much more emphasis on player safety nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Wish I could say I witnessed this, but I didn't become a Packers fan until 1997. Then again, the magic of Favre is that he did this stuff on the regular. This guy played (and played well) with a broken thumb, on his throwing hand, to beat the Vikings. 

I'm not sure many of today's QBs could survive the type of game Favre played through in the 90s. Never mind while putting of 3 consecutive MVP awards.

Gotta be for the better that the game places so much more emphasis on player safety nowadays. 

And now he can barely talk... worse then I type...

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I hated Favre for a good chunk of his career.  I was living in Detroit in the 90s and he was on a divisional rival team, in a situation not unlike Brady vs. the Bills.  So I hated Favre.  Then I moved away from Detroit and I came to admire what a gamer the guy was.  He knew how to extend a play forever, then find the open guy... most of the time.  For the times he screwed up, he made many more plays that made you go WOW.

As for the game tonight, I hope Reino is in fact good to go.  I also hope Eich is back soon.

Yup. I like Rodgers and admire him. But for all his Refuse-To-Throw-An-Interception mindset and supreme talent, he's won the same amount of SBs as Brett and been to one fewer. Their careers honestly have pretty similar trajectories thus far. I think in both cases management let them down.

And with that I shall get back on topic.

But hey, you did get to see Sanders split that one MVP with #4.

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

And now he can barely talk... worse then I type...

This isn't true at all. In fact he's in the best shape of his life. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But hey, you did get to see Sanders split that one MVP with #4.

My favorite cartoon from my Detroit days was by Dick Guindon, featuring several guys in a bar watching in a football game, with one of them saying, "Every year I want to be a Lions fan, but they won't let me."  That pretty much summed up the Barry Sanders era of Detroit football.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RonHextallsShoulderPads said:

I'm not against calling up Bailey.

3 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

What does Bailey have that you feel warrants a callup? In his previous NHL stints I haven't seen anything that demonstrates he's anything more than JAG

Bailey is barely a good AHLer at this point.  He's seeing 4th line duty all too often.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

If this isn't a shot at Eichel then what it is?

I read it as more of a compliment to Reinhart than a shot at Eichel.

Since Eichel joined the NHL, he has missed 10% of the games (40 total), including tonight. That seems pretty normal to me and not an indication of being injury-prone. It's on par with his "M" contemporaries - McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon.

Conversely, Reinhart has missed only 2% (6 total, assuming he plays tonight). That seems above average and perhaps indicative of having Wolverine-line healing powers?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I read it as more of a compliment to Reinhart than a shot at Eichel.

Since Eichel joined the NHL, he has missed 10% of the games (40 total), including tonight. That seems pretty normal to me and not an indication of being injury-prone. It's on par with his "M" contemporaries - McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon.

Conversely, Reinhart has missed only 2% (6 total, assuming he plays tonight). That seems above average and perhaps indicative of having Wolverine-line healing powers?

Yup, it was definitely more of a comment on Reinhart. 

Small nitpick on your math:  Jack has played 249 (81, 61, 67, 40)  games of an eligible 289 (82, 82, 82, 43)  thus far in his career. So he's missed about 14% of the games. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup, it was definitely more of a comment on Reinhart. 

Small nitpick on your math:  Jack has played 249 (81, 61, 67, 40)  games of an eligible 289 (82, 82, 82, 43)  thus far in his career. So he's missed about 14% of the games. 

We’re going to have to start calling him Mr. Glass if he misses anymore games.

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

We’re going to have to start calling him Mr. Glass if he misses anymore games.

I'd be a little wary if he goes 3 straight seasons and 3 out of 4 with a long-term injury, but assuming he gets back quick from this current ailment and finishes out the season, I don't think we are near injury prone territory yet.

The two big injuries he's suffered seemed pretty fluky. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.