Jbot Do Something Already - 4 Saving the Playoffs Edition

GASabresIUFAN

23 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

It seems to me today a head coach needs to be a cheerleader and not a teacher. Which is why I was a big fan of Spuddy. Everybody laughed at me for that until he took Vegas to the finals last year.  

I'd agree with that and take it a step further. They have to be surrogate fathers for some of them, ego strokers for others, best friends with some, all kinds of things like that. If the players don't like them, they're toast.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2019 at 12:08 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

That is simply wrong.  It's time for Jbot to invest in this team.  It may not be throwing a 1st at the problem, but then again if you get the right player; someone under 27 with some term on his deal, this maybe the exact time to make such a move.

The Sabres simply aren't good enough at building from within to build a championship team.  We have no top 6 type centers in the pipeline, Mittlestadt is still maturing and any center we draft is going to take a couple of years to make the team much less make an impact.  

This team has wingers both here and in Rochester, D both here and in Rochester, a top line, and reasonable goaltending when the team commits to playing at both ends.  What this team doesn't have is a 2nd line center.  The playoffs are not out of reach, it will just take some effort on Jbot's part to get the right piece.

If Mitts can play like he did last  night consistently —there is your 2C.   It’s a big IF I know.  

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

If Mitts can play like he did last  night consistently —there is your 2C.   It’s a big IF I know.  

Big If.  A dream come true if it happens, but while I think he and Tage are showing signs of having a good stretch run, they aren't quite there yet.  Casey has 4 pts in his last 7 games, including 3 pts in his last 4 games.  Tage has 3 goals in 9 Jan games.  

By the way, here is the original plan

Sabres plan.pdf

On 1/6/2019 at 11:09 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

But the point of discussing Staal is that he is a UFA, like Kane and Skinner, but no longer in his prime.  Therefore no way he commands a 1st now or at the deadline.  

Yes, guys like Couterier and Coyle, who are under reasonable contracts and in their prime will certainly command a 1st and more.

Rick Nash, 33 years old, pending UFA, traded for a 1st last year

Jerome Iginla, 35 years old, pending UFA, traded for a 1st a few years ago

He may or may not get a 1st... I think he will, probably with some form of conditions.

But saying there is "no way" is simply ignoring evidence

On 1/28/2019 at 11:08 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

That is simply wrong.  It's time for Jbot to invest in this team.  It may not be throwing a 1st at the problem, but then again if you get the right player; someone under 27 with some term on his deal, this maybe the exact time to make such a move.

The Sabres simply aren't good enough at building from within to build a championship team.  We have no top 6 type centers in the pipeline, Mittlestadt is still maturing and any center we draft is going to take a couple of years to make the team much less make an impact.  

This team has wingers both here and in Rochester, D both here and in Rochester, a top line, and reasonable goaltending when the team commits to playing at both ends.  What this team doesn't have is a 2nd line center.  The playoffs are not out of reach, it will just take some effort on Jbot's part to get the right piece.

I think this is where I'm at now. It's time for this team to build towards making the playoffs every season, with that being the goal, rather than trying to continually pull the sling-shot back in the hopes we'll one day vault into championship contention. 

Start with getting in. See what happens after that. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

My Brother, a tad bit older than myself (I'm the youngest at 50) used to get so freaking pissed when he'd click on some link and this appeared. I'm talking he'd do damage if he had the person in front of him. lol

Me, I'd just laugh and laugh, because it's happened to me many times as well lol

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Soooooooo, I take this means the prom queens are out as far as an after dance doggy-style dance, BUT...………..we might get some after market MAKE UP trade so we remain focused on the end of the year exams?

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That makes a helluva lot more sense than "we aren't trading assets because the last GM did a lousy job of it".  A good manager manipulates the plan when the environment changes.  I'm glad to see that he recognizes the value in maintaining a goal for these guys.

• Like (+1) 3

This balance is all I've been asking for since I started this thread.  It's time to support this current team even if it costs us a pick/prospect/player or 2. 

Cutting Elie is not the first step in fixing the problems.  It's an overdue change at the bottom of the roster.  Bringing up Wilson will improve the bottom 6, but that isn't really where we need the help.  Getting Nelson back and moving on from Baloo and maybe someone else might also help some, but again isn't substantive change.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This balance is all I've been asking for since I started this thread.  It's time to support this current team even if it costs us a pick/prospect/player or 2. 

Cutting Elie is not the first step in fixing the problems.  It's an overdue change at the bottom of the roster.  Bringing up Wilson will improve the bottom 6, but that isn't really where we need the help.  Getting Nelson back and moving on from Baloo and maybe someone else might also help some, but again isn't substantive change.

I would guess that a 2C is out of the question. The only way it happens depends on what he considers an asset (also the other GM).

5 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I would guess that a 2C is out of the question. The only way it happens depends on what he considers an asset (also the other GM).

I’m not so sure. What if Elie was waived to open a roster spot, not for Nelson or Wilson, but for a player acquired in trade?

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not so sure. What if Elie was waived to open a roster spot, not for Nelson or Wilson, but for a player acquired in trade?

I know what you're saying, but he said "holding on to young assets". To me that would mean giving up an older asset, which means that the older asset would be the roster spot created for a player coming in trade. No need to send Elie down. Who in the line of "older assets" we have could bring in a legit 2C?

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

To be honest I am rather curious seeing as the Sabres play tomorrow and Rochester plays Wednesday yet no call ups have been made.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I know what you're saying, but he said "holding on to young assets". To me that would mean giving up an older asset, which means that the older asset would be the roster spot created for a player coming in trade. No need to send Elie down. Who in the line of "older assets" we have could bring in a legit 2C?

Smith recalled.  Hope springs eternal I guess.  However, depending on the deal (if we make a deal) we may been to open a roster spot. Also Larry is still out so maybe.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Smith recalled.  Hope springs eternal I guess.  However, depending on the deal (if we maek a deal) we may been to open a roster spot.

What I'm saying is there "shouldn't" be a need to open a roster spot if it's a trade that doesn't involve any "young assets". Unless you think we can get two players for either KO, Pommer, Sobotka, Hunwick, or even Hutton. The only other way would be trading a draft pick for a player, but I would consider a pick a "young asset".

It’s crazy to think with 10 available D that this team has gone from being solid defensively to terrible.  I thought 2C was the most important hole on this team, but with improved play from Mitts, Sheary and ERod the offense seems to be coming around.

Since the start of 2019 the Sabres are a mediocre 5-7-1.  Not great, but not the end of the world either.

However, we have given up 51 goals in those 13 games.  That projects to 3.92 GA per game or 321 GA for the season. Ouch!

The offense has actually been respectable.  42 GF for 3.23 Gf/gp or a 264 GF pace. 

It now seems to me that this team needs a defensive fix. Sad with the PH as the coach.  It’s nice to have guys who can skate and play offense, but we need people who will clear the front of the net.  Scandy and Bogo are supposed to be doing that and aren’t.  McCabe and Risto also need to help in front as well.  

On the positive side the active D is scoring.  Another 8 goals in the last 13 games, w 5 D scoring and Risto (10 pts) and Dahlin (9 pts) leading over this stretch.  

The forwards have been much more balance with Reinhart our best forward with 5g and 11pts.  Skinner w 7g (10 pts) is followed by Erod w 6g (9 pts), Eichel w 2g (8 pts), Sheary 1g (9 pts), and Mitts 2g (7 pts).  The Big 3 only account for 14 of the 42 goals, the D 8, leaving the other forwards with an improved 20 goals.

The group of Sheary, Erod, Mitts, Reinhart, Jack and Skinner are giving us a credible top 6.  

It looks like the biggest help Jbot can give this team is to clear out Baloo and Scandy and replace with one solid stay at home D regardless of how much offense he brings.  Pesce, despite getting beat by Skinners’ great goal is 24 with 5 years left on his deal @ $ 4 mill maybe just what the Dr ordered.  

A D group of 

McCabe Risto

Pesce Dahlin

Pilut Bogo 

Should be better then we are seeing and young enough to grow together with only Bogo over 25.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s crazy to think with 10 available D that this team has gone from being solid defensively to terrible.  I thought 2C was the most important hole on this team, but with improved play from Mitts, Sheary and ERod the offense seems to be coming around.

Since the start of 2019 the Sabres are a mediocre 5-7-1.  Not great, but not the end of the world either.

However, we have given up 51 goals in those 13 games.  That projects to 3.92 GA per game or 321 GA for the season. Ouch!

The offense has actually been respectable.  42 GF for 3.23 Gf/gp or a 264 GF pace. 

It now seems to me that this team needs a defensive fix. Sad with the PH as the coach.  It’s nice to have guys who can skate and play offense, but we need people who will clear the front of the net.  Scandy and Bogo are supposed to be doing that and aren’t.  McCabe and Risto also need to help in front as well.  

On the positive side the active D is scoring.  Another 8 goals in the last 13 games, w 5 D scoring and Risto (10 pts) and Dahlin (9 pts) leading over this stretch.  

The forwards have been much more balance with Reinhart our best forward with 5g and 11pts.  Skinner w 7g (10 pts) is followed by Erod w 6g (9 pts), Eichel w 2g (8 pts), Sheary 1g (9 pts), and Mitts 2g (7 pts).  The Big 3 only account for 14 of the 42 goals, the D 8, leaving the other forwards with an improved 20 goals.

The group of Sheary, Erod, Mitts, Reinhart, Jack and Skinner are giving us a credible top 6.  

It looks like the biggest help Jbot can give this team is to clear out Baloo and Scandy and replace with one solid stay at home D regardless of how much offense he brings.  Pesce, despite getting beat by Skinners’ great goal is 24 with 5 years left on his deal @ $ 4 mill maybe just what the Dr ordered.  

A D group of 

McCabe Risto

Pesce Dahlin

Pilut Bogo 

Should be better then we are seeing and young enough to grow together with only Bogo over 25.

The collection of talent on the backend is not bad... you're seeing a poorly coached team that lacks leadership.

Lou Lam and Barry Trotz would've kept ROR and been on equal footing with Toronto with this roster.

8 minutes ago, jame said:

The collection of talent on the backend is not bad... you're seeing a poorly coached team that lacks leadership.

Lou Lam and Barry Trotz would've kept ROR and been on equal footing with Toronto with this roster.

I actually think this is on the players.  I get u don’t like PH or JBot, however the 2 biggest problems on D are Bogo and Scandella and the goaltenders. However all the D bare some of the blame.  We have seen both players play well in this system and they aren’t now.  They also aren’t rookies.  They are 28 year old vets with 500 and 600 NHL games under their belts. So why aren’t they executing? They know what to do and they aren’t doing it.  Both know how to move guys out of the crease but they aren’t.  Both guys should know when to pinch and when not to but they haven’t played that way.  Both are supposed to be physical players, but I haven’t seen it of late.  

We actually have a D group that can physically beat up and opponent.  Scandella, Risto, Bogo, and even McCabe and Baloo have size and can play well physically,  The were playing this way for the first 2 months and haven’t since.  Why I don’t know, but if they played in the system and it yielded results for 2 months, it’s on the players to get back to what worked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.