GDT - Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - January 5, 2019 - 7:00

Samson's Flow

Just now, Scottysabres said:

2 things I took away from this one.

1. Dahlin IS NOT a BIG GAME player, not yet.

2. The forward ranks are so *****......

I’m not worried about Rasmus.  But what is scary, very scary, is how bad our roster is... and the lack of center depth in the organization.  

• Like (+1) 1

Games like tonight again cause me to think that ownership and management need to decide what they want to try to achieve this year....stand pat with keeping our prospects and picks for the long-term or compete to win now.  Tough call yes...but games like tonight remind me too much of last year from a talent standpoint and question if we really have the right coach to lead this team to ultimate success.

1 minute ago, MODO Hockey said:

God do we suck now..sigh.. 

They really need to sit down and think about what the hell they are doing. Regroup and bring up nylander and olofsson, cj smith is litterly crap and does not belong in the NHL.

Ullmark played great MODO. It's not the Swede's. They are doing what they are asked to do. It's the forward ranks......specifically the lack of center depth and the coaching.....

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This team is not getting 50 points the second half.  They will be lucky to get 35.  

Do you people seriously forget the very real messiah that is Jack Eichel, oh so soon? 

He's going to come back and he's going to re-place the team on his back. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, freester said:

I’m really wondering if trading ROR was a huge mistake.  Casey Mittelstadt is not a second line center and the return on the deal seems mediocre. Did Bots overreact to ROR getting emotional with the media?

our record is far better now. was he a locker room issue? Can't say. What I can say is that we are a better team over all, even if we have streaks like this.

3 minutes ago, freester said:

I’m really wondering if trading ROR was a huge mistake.  Casey Mittelstadt is not a second line center and the return on the deal seems mediocre. Did Bots overreact to ROR getting emotional with the media?

The ROR trade is turning into a disaster... I never liked it from the start. ROR on this team and we have a shot.  

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

our record is far better now. was he a locker room issue? Can't say. What I can say is that we are a better team over all, even if we have streaks like this.

While we are definitely improved I think other factors account for this such as goaltending, Bogo, Dahlin McCabe and Skinner 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MODO Hockey said:

He is 18 yrs old, jesus christ, give him a break. The rest i agree with

I think Rasmus is going to be a superstar.  But, if the Sabres continue to play him, he is fair game to criticism.  The "he's only 18 years old" argument is starting to grate on my nerves like the "did you know that Nic O'leary's grandfather is Jack Nicklaus", and did you know that "Ryan Fitzpatrick wears his wedding ring while playing."  Rasmus will get better, but he is costing the team goals.  That's more on Phil and JBOT.  But the facts cannot be ignored.  He is paid millions (with bonuses) like the rest of our stars,  so he needs to be accountable, regardless of age.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

However, with ROR I could see two (vs. one) legit scoring lines.  Last year I though ROR played well with Sam, so add Sheary and maybe there's production there.  I thought Jack with Skinner and Pominville played well as a line earlier too....Poms has not done much since getting moved off.

Our record is not necessarily better because ROR is gone...but an improved D is certainly a big factor.  From a coaching standpoint, asst. coach Smith may be a factor.  However, HCPH has still done nothing to address the PP, still pretty putrid.

I'd really like the Sabres to figure the power play out. They should really be able to make it work and I'm miffed that it doesn't. Even if you don't have the talent depth to win 5v5 you should at least be able to capitalize on the PP.

I think if they were to figure it out the rest of their game would come along with it. 

It is, to me, the canary in the coal mine with respect to the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The ROR trade was more about moving salary and a defeatist attitude, and to allow Eichel to take the lead of the team. The Blues has less wins and goals than the Sabres, so it hasn’t worked out for them. Tage will get better, and remember the 1st round pick we got which could be moved for an immediate asset by next year. Who knew Bergland would bail.

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's only semi-contentious because dark decided to take a ***** on the board for no apparent reason.

Nay. 

It was before that comment. 

Constant negativity strikes some (positive)fans as contentious.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'd really like the Sabres to figure the power play out. They should really be able to make it work and I'm miffed that it doesn't. Even if you don't have the talent depth to win 5v5 you should at least be able to capitalize on the PP.

I think if they were to figure it out the rest of their game would come along with it. 

I agree. And they don’t even need to capitalize on it. They just need to look not completely inept.

it was a weird game. Pretty scrambly and lots of home run passes from both sides.

Bout what I expected with a Jackless squad.

Still can’t figure out why Elie getting hit at center ice before the puck got there wasn’t interference,... oh, yeah, Boston.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'd love to see the PP improve.....but I have no confidence HCPH can get them there.  Disco Dan's 2016-2017 team had a 24.5% PP success rate, which was #1 in the league.  HCPH's team only hit 19.1% last year....ranked around 20th or so.  This year, the percentage is even worse with arguably more talent (18.8%).  It's actually getting worse, not better.  Just part of my skepticism that he is not the right man for the job.

Edited by Carmel Corn

19 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Games like tonight again cause me to think that ownership and management need to decide what they want to try to achieve this year....stand pat with keeping our prospects and picks for the long-term or compete to win now.  Tough call yes...but games like tonight remind me too much of last year from a talent standpoint and question if we really have the right coach to lead this team to ultimate success.

Quenneville's still available................................just sayin' (again) You guys know by now I wouldn't mind that change. Inevitably, we'll see what JBots move is and how this club continues to move forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I agree. And they don’t even need to capitalize on it. They just need to look not completely inept.

it was a weird game. Pretty scrambly and lots of home run passes from both sides.

Bout what I expected with a Jackless squad.

Still can’t figure out why Elie getting hit at center ice before the puck got there wasn’t interference,... oh, yeah, Boston.

I can’t figure out why Elie is on the team.  He showed me nothing. I’d rather see Nylander or Olofson. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.