GDT - Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - January 5, 2019 - 7:00

Samson's Flow

2 hours ago, freester said:

I’m really wondering if trading ROR was a huge mistake.  Casey Mittelstadt is not a second line center and the return on the deal seems mediocre. Did Bots overreact to ROR getting emotional with the media?

He definitely didn't overreact to how O'Reilly interacted with the media.  Did he overreact to how he interacted with the rest of the organization?  Doubt we'll ever get the real scoop on that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freester said:

Are you familiar with Phil Housley early years?  He was so poor defensively that he was moved to forward. He’s in the HOF. Rasmus will be amazing. Do you know who was the last 18 year old defenseman to be great in his rookie year? Bobby Orr.  That was 50 years ago.  

In VERY large part because he is American & also because all the points he scored playing F are credited to his "amazing" defenseman scoring.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I happen to agree Mitts needs AHL time. He's not ready.

Playing on the "4th line" he had himself in position to split the D but dropped it back due to lack of confidence & was in alone on the goalie 4' out.  Let him play 10 games on the 4th line against weaker competition & if he still is having issues, then consider sending him down.  

He looked fine 15 games ago. Let him not have the entirety of the non-Eichel line offense on his shoulders for a bit & see if he gets his mojo back.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

If we are going to completely build through the draft we are looking at another 3 years (if they work out) and we’d of wasted 6-7 years of Eichel.  Clearly we need a trade and at least start making the playoffs.  

That would be a cool thread. Look at what we have as bait and what we need then putting together some fan based deals.

12 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Maybe. Clarkson was a very small school. I thought I knew most of the Buffalo folks up there when I went, but maybe it was just the guys from my High School. Then again I haven't talked to any of those guys in like 15 years, so maybe he's one of them ?

I see that you did not catch the way that I drifted.  I didn't mean our friend beer, I meant our OTHER friend BEER!!

LOL!!

A 2 - 1 loss in Boston does not sound all that bad and it seems that the SAbres played well enough, but Rask brought his A+ game.  I did not watch the game, nor the highlights yet, so maybe that is not right ... I just looked at the score and saw a headline that Rask made 30+ saves.

Anyway ...

Onward ...

So, this day before GDT thing is over I presume.

See you all Tuesday, eh?

48 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

A 2 - 1 loss in Boston does not sound all that bad and it seems that the SAbres played well enough, but Rask brought his A+ game.  I did not watch the game, nor the highlights yet, so maybe that is not right ... I just looked at the score and saw a headline that Rask made 30+ saves.

The Sabres were lucky to only be down by one.  The difference in play was more glaring than the score indicated.

3 minutes ago, carpandean said:

The Sabres were lucky to only be down by one.  The difference in play was more glaring than the score indicated.

Absolutely.  We were never in this game and Boston controlled the entire thing.

About halfway through the first period I realized we wouldn't be winning the game.

Risto's goal was nice and the score looked close, but the game wasn't.

We can't compete with Boston with Jack out of the lineup and us not playing a phenomenal game.

8 months ago Rasmus Dahlin was 17 years old.

Let that sink in for a while and feel free to compare to your own situation at that age...Myself, I was probably sitting at the back of some classroom picking my nose, not worrying to much about being run over by Bufyglien or crosschecked in the back of my head by Tom Wilson. Life was pretty good.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Absolutely.  We were never in this game and Boston controlled the entire thing.

About halfway through the first period I realized we wouldn't be winning the game.

Risto's goal was nice and the score looked close, but the game wasn't.

We can't compete with Boston with Jack out of the lineup and us not playing a phenomenal game.

This

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I see that you did not catch the way that I drifted.  I didn't mean our friend beer, I meant our OTHER friend BEER!!

LOL!!

Yeah, there was a lot of drinking at Clarkson. Although at that point in my life I was more of a Vodka drinker than a Beer drinker. All the beer I was able to get in college was terrible. Natty Ice ftl...

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Anyway ...

Onward ...

So, this day before GDT thing is over I presume.

See you all Tuesday, eh?

I will be waiting for the call and the opportunity to go 2-0.

10 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

2 things I took away from this one.

1. Dahlin IS NOT a BIG GAME player, not yet.

2. The forward ranks are so *****......

These two things were known BEFORE this game. 

Why do people expect perfection from an 18 year old defenseman?  He is progressing and he shows great skills.  He will make mistakes along the way.  Defense is not a position  where you walk in and dominate.  

We are thin at wing, carrying young developmental  players (Mitts, Tage, ERod) and some older dead weight  ( Pommer and OK).   We have two centers that contribute with NHL level play (Eichel and Larry) and the best one is out.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mike555555555555555 said:

8 months ago Rasmus Dahlin was 17 years old.

Let that sink in for a while and feel free to compare to your own situation at that age...Myself, I was probably sitting at the back of some classroom picking my nose, not worrying to much about being run over by Bufyglien or crosschecked in the back of my head by Tom Wilson. Life was pretty good.

Or checked into the Florida bench, where their backup goalie holds ground on the bench to rough up his face.  The kid came away with a bloody nose, no call, welcome to the NHL.   He comes out the next shift pissed off and almost scores himself.  

Really, picking on Dahlin’s play is crazy.  He makes a few mistakes but learns fast.  Physical Strength and experience will come, then look out. 

• Like (+1) 1

I only saw the last 10 minutes. I saw Risto score and we had a few chances to tie it up.   I heard the post game.   Sounds like we started well, then faded in the first (typical), then had very a poor 2nd period.  

Sounded like Boston was Physical, Rask was hot, Eichel was missing, we did not bury our chances, and we were outplayed ...

....   yet 2-1 on the road.  

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

The top end of his game is too good for the A.  Other than you getting to watch him in person quite often, which I totally get wanting, what is the benefit to the Sabres of having him as an Amerk?

There was no reason to play Eichel in Ra-cha-cha either.

I know he wasn’t going to go to the A but you’re right, it was all about me.?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I will be waiting for the call and the opportunity to go 2-0.

I did try to call you collect last time.

Look it up it is documented, I think even in a reply to a post that you mentioned you were never called back.

The operator hung up on me and it got nowhere.

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I did try to call you collect last time.

Look it up it is documented, I think even in a reply to a post that you mentioned you were never called back.

The operator hung up on me and it got nowhere.

The operator said someone named Yeunida Stardathred was calling. I said wrong number and hung up. Sorry.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I didn't watch the game, I Googled the score at 1030 hoping to see a win (during the streak I was in Europe and every morning I woke up and did this and we won) 

I'm happy I didn't watch, I hate losing to Boston, seems like I should book a flight to Europe so we can win again 

Uneventful game that looked and felt, from beginning to end, like we would lose.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I didn't watch the game, I Googled the score at 1030 hoping to see a win (during the streak I was in Europe and every morning I woke up and did this and we won) 

I'm happy I didn't watch, I hate losing to Boston, seems like I should book a flight to Europe so we can win again

You know what you need to do.  Work your 10 straight days during the AS break, then spin that random wheel of travel.  Just do it.

Seems there's no shortage of volunteer house sitters willing to help you out, too.  You do keep the liquor cabinet unlocked, right?

;)

PS:  I watched the NESN broadcast and I have to say: Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley are absolutely insufferable.

They are the biggest homers in the entire NHL, and by a wide margin.

Their entire approach to broadcasting is biased to the point of being amateurish and ridiculous.

Throw in Brickley's chowduh-head accent and I don't think I can listen to those guys anymore!

They both know hockey and are much better from a technical perspective than a lot of clueless idiots around the league, particularly in non-traditional markets, but my God!  Stop the ridiculous, over the top, pro-Boston shtick!

I feel better now.

Edited by Kruppstahl

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You know what you need to do.  Work your 10 straight days during the AS break, then spin that random wheel of travel.  Just do it.

Seems there's no shortage of volunteer house sitters willing to help you out, too.  You do keep the liquor cabinet unlocked, right?

?

Well there is always a full liquor cabinet at Chez Marc, it's how I make it through my days ?

Actually, I was thinking about having a SS get together at my place next year

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.