GDT - Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - January 5, 2019 - 7:00

Samson's Flow

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I'd love to see the PP improve.....but I have no confidence HCPH can get them there.  Disco Dan's 2016-2017 team had a 24.5% PP success rate, which was #1 in the league.  HCPH's team only hit 19.1% last year....ranked around 20th or so.  This year, the percentage is even worse with arguably more talent (18.8%).  It's actually getting worse, not better.  Just part of my skepticism that he is the right man for the job.

Yikes those stats are an indictment of HCPH. 

Just now, freester said:

I can’t figure out why Elie is on the team.  He showed me nothing. I’d rather see Nylander or Olofson. 

I’m getting the feeling more and more that this is yet another evaluation/development year in terms of the master plan from the front office.

Either that, or we’re ####ed.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m getting the feeling more and more that this is yet another evaluation/development year in terms of the master plan from the front office.

Either that, or we’re ####ed.

When JBot said he’s not going crazy because he knows we are not one elite player away... I think he knows

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

When JBot said he’s not going crazy because he knows we are not one elite player away... I think he knows

I’m just not sure that is true, though. If we had Malkin as our second line center, we are competing with every team in the league every night.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'd really like the Sabres to figure the power play out. They should really be able to make it work and I'm miffed that it doesn't. Even if you don't have the talent depth to win 5v5 you should at least be able to capitalize on the PP.

I think if they were to figure it out the rest of their game would come along with it. 

It is, to me, the canary in the coal mine with respect to the coaching staff.

If I could put this post in my signature I would. 

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

There's such an interesting dynamic at play. "Away" certainly means: from being Cup contenders. That's definitely where the thinking has shifted to, organizationally; but away can also, by choice, refer to "from making the playoffs". 

The "drive for 8th" used to be seen as the worst thing on Earth, but that was when the long-term best case scenario for those teams seemed to be middling first round exits. 

I still think simply getting into the playoffs should be one of a few primary focuses for this organization right now, if it isn't already. A tiny bit more of an "anything can happen if you get in" mentality I think would serve them well if it's not. We know they won't be pointless drives for 8th, because the long term potential of this team is apparent. 

And I'm not talking ROR type mortgaging the future deals, either. But Botterill has been known for value deals in the past so maybe he can work his magic on something to help these guys out. 

Edited by Thorny

55 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Meanwhile, the awful result of this measuring stick is that Jason will convince Terry we're still three years away from making the playoffs. #patience

Or Botterill explained that despite the fact the Sabres won ten games in a row that only three of those wins came in regulation.

Or that their shot metrics went from average before the streak towards the bottom of the league during and after it and a serious regression was coming.

Or that the rental prices are astronomical right now and the ask is a 1st and 2nd and an A Level Prospect even for second tier rentals. 

Or the lack of talent on the team is being amplified by some of Housley’s Coaching Decisions. 

Or that there are contenders who are interested in making deals for RFAs or younger players with term left around the draft this year. 

Or that for the first time in a long time, there will be some bonafide talent available on July 1st in UFA

Or maybe he has increased the number of bible verses he uses in conversations and emails with Pegula

49 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I think Rasmus is going to be a superstar.  But, if the Sabres continue to play him, he is fair game to criticism.  The "he's only 18 years old" argument is starting to grate on my nerves like the "did you know that Nic O'leary's grandfather is Jack Nicklaus", and did you know that "Ryan Fitzpatrick wears his wedding ring while playing."  Rasmus will get better, but he is costing the team goals.  That's more on Phil and JBOT.  But the facts cannot be ignored.  He is paid millions (with bonuses) like the rest of our stars,  so he needs to be accountable, regardless of age.

Well i would agree with you if it wasnt the case that this is NHL. A full team of multimillionairs , if a kid makes some misstakes so be it, that is how you learn it the hard way, but we dont have a team that can help him and make up for those misstakes do we (?)

Ofc his misstakes counts, but they also need to me made for him to learn and you just have to live with that, if we had a team that could actually score some goals then it would be all fine but now its hurting for you cuz if rasmus makes a misstake and people defend it you get all annoyed because its his fault according to you, but there is where you are wrong sir.

• Like (+1) 1

I think a lot of Buffalo Sabres people (fans, owners, management, coaches, players) may be underestimating the importance of making the playoffs THIS season. We are rapidly approaching 8 straight seasons without the playoffs, 4 of which have come after the back-to-back tank jobs. The losing culture is ossifying. Our GM is twiddling his thumbs while the season is burning. Make a reasonable trade for a vet center. Send Mittelstadt down to Rochester. Call up Nylander and Olofsson. Do something because I'm getting mighty ***** tired of wasting my time and money on this garbage. Only in the realm of Buffalo pro sports are decade-long rebuilds tolerable.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m just not sure that is true, though. If we had Malkin as our second line center, we are competing with every team in the league every night.

Not with the wingers we have. 

7 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I think a lot of Buffalo Sabres people (fans, owners, management, coaches, players) may be underestimating the importance of making the playoffs THIS season. We are rapidly approaching 8 straight seasons without the playoffs, 4 of which have come after the back-to-back tank jobs. The losing culture is ossifying. Our GM is twiddling his thumbs while the season is burning. Make a reasonable trade for a vet center. Send Mittelstadt down to Rochester. Call up Nylander and Olofsson. Do something because I'm getting mighty ***** tired of wasting my time and money on this garbage. Only in the realm of Buffalo pro sports are decade-long rebuilds tolerable.

For us, but for JBot, it's only the second year of a rebuild. You can't hold the Murray era on him and he won't abandon a long term plan for that frustration. I think Nylander is a bust and should be forgotten about. As for Mitts/Olofsson I think they are hedging their bets. One in Rochester, one up, two development paths. see which one works out (if either). One of them will eventually be the #2 center but for now I think the plan faltered with Berglund being a bust. He was supposed to hold the spot with average/decent play for a year or two. As is, the roster is thin. 

I still hold much of this on Reinhart. Absolutely useless without Eichel. Skinner still gives it a go without him but what does Reinhart ever do on his own??? Not enough for a #2 overall pick.  

D is better, Goaltending is ok, We have a better team attitude, but we are not very deep, and the second and third line wingers are just not very good. Sobodka should be on a pure checking line, that's what he has always done, and nothing more expected of him, that's all he is. Asking for more is unrealistic.

We simply need more talent.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not with the wingers we have. 

For us, but for JBot, it's only the second year of a rebuild. You can't hold the Murray era on him and he won't abandon a long term plan for that frustration. I think Nylander is a bust and should be forgotten about. As for Mitts/Olofsson I think they are hedging their bets. One in Rochester, one up, two development paths. see which one works out (if either). One of them will eventually be the #2 center but for now I think the plan faltered with Berglund being a bust. He was supposed to hold the spot with average/decent play for a year or two. As is, the roster is thin. 

I still hold much of this on Reinhart. Absolutely useless without Eichel. Skinner still gives it a go without him but what does Reinhart ever do on his own??? Not enough for a #2 overall pick.  

D is better, Goaltending is ok, We have a better team attitude, but we are not very deep, and the second and third line wingers are just not very good. Sobodka should be on a pure checking line, that's what he has always done, and nothing more expected of him, that's all he is. Asking for more is unrealistic.

We simply need more talent.

Why is Nylander a bust but Mittelstadt isn't? Nylander is only 8 months older, lost some development time due to injury, but is now performing very well in Rochester. Mitts has 5 goals, 6 assists, and probably 0 pull-ups in 42 NHL games. Are people even watching these games? Mitts looks terrible. Nylander deserves a call-up, and Mitts needs to do some remedial AHL work.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Why is Nylander a bust but Mittelstadt isn't? Nylander is only 8 months older, lost some development time due to injury, but is now performing very well in Rochester. Mitts has 5 goals, 6 assists, and probably 0 pull-ups in 42 NHL games. Are people even watching these games? Mitts looks terrible. Nylander deserves a call-up, and Mitts needs to do some remedial AHL work.

I happen to agree Mitts needs AHL time. He's not ready.

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

He is 18 yrs old, jesus christ, give him a break. The rest i agree with

As a fan, I don't have to give him ***** first of all. It's on him to entertain me, not the other way around. I'm the paying customer, not him.

Second of all, he is 18 yrs old, I expect the mistakes, but not so often for where he was touted.

1 minute ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Mittelstadt belongs in Rochester. I think he’s only here because we traded ROR. He clearly isn’t ready. We are very weak down the middle. I’m not sure how we are going to improve the center position in the near future. Asplund isn’t ready either.  Samson can’t play center. Maybe Girgensons is the best answer for now. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

However, with ROR I could see two (vs. one) legit scoring lines.  Last year I though ROR played well with Sam, so add Sheary and maybe there's production there.  I thought Jack with Skinner and Pominville played well as a line earlier too....Poms has not done much since getting moved off.

Our record is not necessarily better because ROR is gone...but an improved D is certainly a big factor.  From a coaching standpoint, asst. coach Smith may be a factor.  However, HCPH has still done nothing to address the PP, still pretty putrid.

I can't agree. The management team and coaching staff have the pulse on what is going on. They made a decision, I trust they made it for a valid reason. And given ROR's comments towards the end of last season, It only further solidifies my support of that decision.

42 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Well i would agree with you if it wasnt the case that this is NHL. A full team of multimillionairs , if a kid makes some misstakes so be it, that is how you learn it the hard way, but we dont have a team that can help him and make up for those misstakes do we (?)

Ofc his misstakes counts, but they also need to me made for him to learn and you just have to live with that, if we had a team that could actually score some goals then it would be all fine but now its hurting for you cuz if rasmus makes a misstake and people defend it you get all annoyed because its his fault according to you, but there is where you are wrong sir.

Fair enough, MODO.  I love the kid but he has made some glaring mistakes.  2 - 3 years from now, this will not be an issue.  We're fighting for the playoffs this year so it is an issue now.  I believe we are a better team with him in the lineup.  I think PH needs to do a better job to shelter his minutes and match-ups a bit.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

As a fan, I don't have to give him ***** first of all. It's on him to entertain me, not the other way around. I'm the paying customer, not him.

Second of all, he is 18 yrs old, I expect the mistakes, but not so often for where he was touted.

Are you familiar with Phil Housley early years?  He was so poor defensively that he was moved to forward. He’s in the HOF. Rasmus will be amazing. Do you know who was the last 18 year old defenseman to be great in his rookie year? Bobby Orr.  That was 50 years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, freester said:

Are you familiar with Phil Housley early years?  He was so poor defensively that he was moved to forward. He’s in the HOF. Rasmus will be amazing. Do you know who was the last 18 year old defenseman to be great in his rookie year? Bobby Orr.  That was 50 years ago.  

I am. And none of those players face the situation Dahilin has entered. A struggling team with no playoff appearance in 6 yrs.

I say again, and look it up, none of Housley or Orr walked in on the situation the Sabres are in. Beyond poor examples in my opinion.

3 hours ago, John Tucker said:

Lol... I remember that.  And he got traded because he became invisible when the going got tough in the playoffs

No, he was traded because the Jets offered up Dale ######## Hawerchuk for him & he couldn't figure out that passing to Stephane ####### Richer was a really ######## bad choice, especially when playing against him in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, freester said:

I also don’t understand why Dahlin isn’t playing with Bogosian. He seemed comfortable on the left side with Bogo. 

Because if Dahlin plays with Bogosian that leaves Pilut playing with Scandella. I completely get wanting to give Rasmus the best chance to succeed, but don't want his success to come at the expense of the team.  At home, that pairing MAY be OK. On the road, please no.

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

It seems contentious in here tonight and this opinion will be unpopular but....

Would it have been terrible to give him a full/partial season in the A? 

The top end of his game is too good for the A.  Other than you getting to watch him in person quite often, which I totally get wanting, what is the benefit to the Sabres of having him as an Amerk?

There was no reason to play Eichel in Ra-cha-cha either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.