Playing themselves out of a playoff spot.

GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually it supports my argument perfectly.  Shore is a proven 30+ pt center who has 17 pts ytd and frankly is playing better then any center on our roster not named Eichel.  He would have been a very reasonable and not overly costly replacement for Berglund, is only 24 year old and therefore might have a longer term future here if it worked out.  

Also Cogliano is a 900 game NHLer.  He has had 9+ 10+ goal seasons and is usually a 30-40 pt guy.  Also not a trash player.  

Sorry @darksabre but this isn't a trash deal.  It't a depth deal to enhance struggling teams.  Sound familiar.  

It's absolutely a trash deal.

Cogliano is basically used up and Dallas decided that used up Cogliano was better than Shore. Which speaks volumes about both team's opinion of Shore.

Swapping depth players is reshuffling deck chairs for both teams.

I think it’s time for a change behind the bench. PH is a good guy but I don’t think he commands the respect from his players and therefore he must go.

Ruff? Quenville? 

Its also time to make some moves. This team just isn’t good enough. The 10 game streak was awesome but they won 9 one goal games and 7 after 60 minutes. It was a lucky ride but they’re still flawed.

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually it supports my argument perfectly.  Shore is a proven 30+ pt center who has 17 pts ytd and frankly is playing better then any center on our roster not named Eichel.  He would have been a very reasonable and not overly costly replacement for Berglund, is only 24 year old and therefore might have a longer term future here if it worked out.  

Also Cogliano is a 900 game NHLer.  He has had 9+ 10+ goal seasons and is usually a 30-40 pt guy.  Also not a trash player.  

Sorry @darksabre but this isn't a trash deal.  It't a depth deal to enhance struggling teams.  Sound familiar.  

This also looks like a straight up 1-for-1 even swap of players, one younger than the other. A "change of scenery" type trade or "we need an aging veteran" .

Do you want to swap Sobotka for another Sobotka and think it's gonna help?

The goalies are just like every other player the Sabres have.  They need to play lights out in order to have a chance to win.

There is no clear starter now, if there ever was, and they should split the remaining games right down the middle to see who has what to offer going forward.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the 'r' and the 'd' are not that close together on my faulty keyboard ...
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure I want to blame Hutton at all for lasts night debacle but it seems he's let in at least 1 softy per game lately.

If they fall to a place where the Play-offs are unlikely, I really hope we see more Ullmark and give the "prospects" in Roch at least a taste of the NHL. Where they can get a better idea of the speed at which the game is played. So they can prepare for next season.

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I'm not sure I want to blame Hutton at all for lasts night debacle but it seems he's let in at least 1 softy per game lately.

If they fall to a place where the Play-offs are unlikely, I really hope we see more Ullmark and give the "prospects" in Roch at least a taste of the NHL. Where they can get a better idea of the speed at which the game is played. So they can prepare for next season.

But that would hurt the Amerks chances at winning so they cant bring them up. 

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

6-10-3 since the end of November.  Included in those 10 loses are 5 games the Sabres should win, but instead got blown out in 4 of them.  6-2 L to Philly at home, 5-2 L to Fla at home and then road loses to Car (4-3), Stl (4-1) and now Edm (7-2).  This is a bad hockey team right now, especially with Hutton and Ullmark no longer playing at their best.  

Unless some changes are made, I think we are seeing our team for the rest of the season.

Sad, but true.

I mean it's hard to argue with this.

If one teleported back down to Earth after being on Mars since the summer, and looked at the Sabres record, I they'd be quite happy with it. But context matters. They've been unreasonably bad for quite the stretch now. It's not long enough of a stretch for me to say they are a bad team, I still hold out hope that they'll right the ship here, soon. 

But the reason the 21 game recent stretch is so worrying is because it's a non-negligible sample size to me at this point, and clearly to others as well. If they bare this pace out over the final 36 games, we're looking at a disappointing season.

But if they "are what their record says they are" right now, and their pace over the final 36 looks something like it did over the first 46 in totality, things are looking, honestly, quite good. 

The first scenario, the team finishes with 79 points. The second, 93 points. For this season, it's still about what happens next. Mid-story right now. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I mean it's hard to argue with this.

If one teleported back down to Earth after being on Mars since the summer, and looked at the Sabres record, I they'd be quite happy with it. But context matters. They've been unreasonably bad for quite the stretch now. It's not long enough of a stretch for me to say they are a bad team, I still hold out hope that they'll right the ship here, soon. 

But the reason the 21 game recent stretch is so worrying is because it's a non-negligible sample size to me at this point, and clearly to others as well. If they bare this pace out over the final 36 games, we're looking at a disappointing season.

But if they "are what their record says they are" right now, and their pace over the final 36 looks something like it did over the first 46 in totality, things are looking, honestly, quite good. 

The first scenario, the team finishes with 79 points. The second, 93 points. For this season, it's still about what happens next. Mid-story right now. 

my guess is they land around 80 points, which compared to last year is a huge improvement, but considering the start is a big disappointment...this team is miles away yet

This is a bad team right now.  The goaltending has been bad, the D breakdowns frequent and the offense inconsistent at best.  This is what bad teams look like.  

I wrote earlier that because of the lack of secondary offense this team was going to have to play a close checking style to win.  We don’t have the personnel to trade chances.  We are trying up tempo and it’s failing.  We need to go back to working hard and keeping games close. It may already be to late. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.