Practice Report 1/2/19 No Jack

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, ... said:

ERod #1, Mitts #4. hmmm...

Honestly, those lines are so jacked up I don't even know what I would consider them to be. I guess that's the #4 line just in terms of probable ice time.

Losing Berglund and having Jack and Girgs out really makes things look...not great.

Thoughts ...

Jack is everything to this team.

ERod is outworking Mitts by a fair amount.  I just wish his hustle would pay off more.

Tage continues to look like he is going to score, and score, and score.

Never thought I could ever miss Berglund this much. 

CJ Smith was working hard but not sure I saw NHL speed. 

Getting Girgensons and Wilson back will help. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Thoughts ...

Jack is everything to this team.

ERod is outworking Mitts by a fair amount.  I just wish his hustle would pay off more.

Tage continues to look like he is going to score, and score, and score.

Never thought I could ever miss Berglund this much. 

CJ Smith was working hard but not sure I saw NHL speed. 

Getting Girgensons and Wilson back will help. 

Mittelstadt is still too young and green; I think he'll be OK given time.

Can't expect much from this this year however.

• Like (+1) 1

We are seriously going to get a "legend of Berglund" now that his leaving roughly corresponds with the team plummeting, right? There were red flags in the underlying metrics when Berglund was here and we were winning in OT, with Berglund getting healthy scratched multiple times. 

The Sabres are bad because Botterill left them as a 1 top-6 centre team and now that one guy is out again. They were a 1 centre team before Berglund left and the same remains. 

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We are seriously going to get a "legend of Berglund" now that his leaving roughly corresponds with the team plummeting, right? There were red flags in the underlying metrics when Berglund was here and we were winning in OT, with Berglund getting healthy scratched multiple times. 

The Sabres are bad because Botterill left them as a 1 top-6 centre team and now that one guy is out again. They were a 1 centre team before Berglund left and the same remains. 

There is no legend of Berglund, but we did lose a bonafide NHL player who had a responsible game, reasonable speed, and size enough to be effective against larger teams.  It really is as simple as, we now have Ellie in our lineup.  A significant step down.  I guess if you want to characterize that observation as "legend of".

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is no legend of Berglund, but we did lose a bonafide NHL player who had a responsible game, reasonable speed, and size enough to be effective against larger teams.  It really is as simple as, we now have Ellie in our lineup.  A significant step down.  I guess if you want to characterize that observation as "legend of".

I don't believe Berglund was providing enough to this team for the word "significant" to factor in here at all, so I would. 

The entirety of the bottom 9 is an interchangeable mess, and it was with Berglund here. The perception around Berglund has already shifted from Cap Dump to Significant Loss in the span of a couple weeks. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't believe Berglund was providing enough to this team for the word "significant" to factor in here at all, so I would. 

The entirety of the bottom 9 is an interchangeable mess, and it was with Berglund here. 

Ellie isn't even NHL talent.  Of course it's a significant step down.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

It'll be interesting to see how the mind plays tricks.  He didn't play in the last 4 games of the win streak and the Sabres lost each of the last 4 games he played after the win streak ended.  And, just for Pi, he was a minus 5 in those last 4 games.

So, though they haven't been winning much since he left, they weren't winning any with him either.

When the team is fully healthy, his absence isn't that noticable.  But I REALLY liked the way THE shutdown line was playing, though Housley was still breaking it up some games so even if he were here & Eichel were healthy there's no guarantee that line would stay together.  And that was the only line he'd been put on that did work.  Which is why, with Phil's penchant to break that line up, his absence wasn't THAT noticable.

And with 2 key contributors out, his absence is quite noticable.  Heck, had he not bailed when he did, he MIGHT have gotten his shot between Skinner & Reinhart and his opportunity to show he was right and every coach he had in the NHL was wrong.  He could've had the opportunity to have shown he truly was a top 6 at worse player.  That opportunity's out the window now.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.