GDT - Florida Panthers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 3, 2019 - 7:00 PM

Samson's Flow

Especially if the team believes Eichel will be back by the All Star break, I expect this team to play very hard tonight & actually do the unthinkable - beat the Swamp Cats in regulation.  Being without a star player for a handful of games often raises everybody's effort level - they don't want to let that guy that's been carrying them down & they also know that they can't rely on him to bring it if they're off.

If they believe Jack won't be back anytime soon, I'm expecting them to be flatter than a pancake.

His not being on IR gives reason to believe they're setting the team up to believe he'll be back soon.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Especially if the team believes Eichel will be back by the All Star break, I expect this team to play very hard tonight & actually do the unthinkable - beat the Swamp Cats in regulation.  Being without a star player for a handful of games often raises everybody's effort level - they don't want to let that guy that's been carrying them down & they also know that they can't rely on him to bring it if they're off.

If they believe Jack won't be back anytime soon, I'm expecting them to be flatter than a pancake.

His not being on IR gives reason to believe they're setting the team up to believe he'll be back soon.

Good points. I certainly hope this is the case, but I am really struggling to come up with who on the roster has the talent to step up and fill even a portion of Jack's production.

15 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Good points. I certainly hope this is the case, but I am really struggling to come up with who on the roster has the talent to step up and fill even a portion of Jack's production.

Skinner getting an I'm stealing the puck from the defenseman & scoring on the pseudo breakaway could be 1.  Larsson getting a feed from a linemate that even he can't mess up could be 1.  Score a PP via the 2nd unit (which on paper looks just as good as the 1st unit) because the Swamp Cats don't have the intensity on the kill due to looking at how sad that should be could be 3.  Heck, let Mittelstadt do his labrador retriever going after a ball routine & bank a shot in off Elie's melon for 1 of those.  Lots of ways to sneak one out.

Find just ONE goal each period & let Linus have 1 - 20 minute stanza perfect & 2 others wbere he gives up 1 & they're there.  The Cats aren't good.  They're dangerous & play a very tight game but use that 2 off days worth of energy & play tighter on them.

The Cats should win.  I expect the Sabres WILL win.

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Skinner getting an I'm stealing the puck from the defenseman & scoring on the pseudo breakaway could be 1.  Larsson getting a feed from a linemate that even he can't mess up could be 1.  Score a PP via the 2nd unit (which on paper looks just as good as the 1st unit) because the Swamp Cats don't have the intensity on the kill due to looking at how sad that should be could be 3.  Heck, let Mittelstadt do his labrador retriever going after a ball routine & bank a shot in off Elie's melon for 1 of those.  Lots of ways to sneak one out.

Find just ONE goal each period & let Linus have 1 - 20 minute stanza perfect & 2 others wbere he gives up 1 & they're there.  The Cats aren't good.  They're dangerous & play a very tight game but use that 2 off days worth of energy & play tighter on them.

The Cats should win.  I expect the Sabres WILL win.

Maybe Ullmark gets an empty netter to seal the win.

Someone not from the top line has to step up tonight and put the puck in the net.  Preferably a couple of times.

That is the weakness of this team to begin with--no secondary scoring.

Who is going to do it? 

They need to suck it up and over-achieve for a few games until Jack is back.

Thorny is being a bit thorny today and in a GDT, no less.

I understand the frustration is setting in, but JBOT took over a team 2 years ago and needed to pretty much take it apart and start over, except for some key pieces that he inherited.  It is not a fast process.  On top of that some of the inherited pieces are not working out so well.  Some of the changes were to remove very good players (Kane and ROR) that play key roles on any team, because they were not working out here.  ROR in particular is very missed, especially now with Eich out for a while (hope it isn't long).

I still believe that JBOT was not thinking this was a playoff team this season when it started.  Close, but probably not quite there.  I think playoffs was the goal foe next season, after one more offseason of trades and signings and drafted kids development, some of that being in the NHL for the first time other than a few games here and there.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
all those missing letters ...
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

There's an old saying that defines the difference between anxiety and panic.  Anxiety is the first time you can't do it twice.  Panic is the second time you can't do it once.  Let's just say that I'm anxious about the Sabres now.  If they lose tonight, I will be panicked.

9 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Wow. Not sure I even want to watch this one or the B's game. No Eichel on a team thats clearly devoid of offence even with him is painful. Oh well. I suffered through the tank. This can't be much worse.

PA and I are getting ready for the game.  Join us!  We're making sure it won't be painful at all.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

@... Where in the hell did you find that?

In another forum I frequent.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m feeling good about tonight. Linus has been very good.  Time for Skinner and Reinhart to show they can do it without Jack. 

Tage about to break out.  

KO responded last game with a goal, now keep it going  

Mittsie, uhh, we shall see. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

We already know Phil will BS (Berglund is "sick")… I could be wrong but it apparently sounds like Eichel is going to miss more than a few games (we will "evaluate next week")

Yeah, and that makes him unlike any other coach in this league. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.