GDT - Florida Panthers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 3, 2019 - 7:00 PM

Samson's Flow

10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Is there actually a rule that says we can't start these until the day of the game?

Hogwash, I say.

Let's make this the best damn GDT ever!!

+++++

Aaaaaayyyyyyyyy ... Ooh!!

Yes.  But we need to do something to get out of this four and freaking eleven rut.

If it doesn't work, though, the OP is taking up residence in the SabreSpace dungeon with GoDD.

• Haha (+1) 1

OK, now that's officially game day I'm here to say We MUST WIN!

I'm concerned at how the team will respond to no Jack. Sure last game they played mostly without him, but this time they are going in without him instead of him starting and leaving early. Will someone finally step up now that they can't rely on Jack to carry the team on his shoulders?

Will Skinner keep scoring without Jack feeding him the puck? He has a few goals where Jack didn't get an assist and at least 1 that I'm aware of that Jack had left the ice already. However the majority of his goals have come from plays made by Eichel.

I'm really hoping this stretch of losing is a learning experience for a young team that had early success and not a return to last year's loser mentality. Time to step up and WIN.

That said, I'm hoping somehow Jack returns for the Bruins on Saturday.

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Dahlin is still on the right side, with Scandella. 

Phil just doesn't get it. 

Nope. And Dahlin has been invisible for the last couple games. If this team misses the playoffs, Housley or at least parts of his staff need to go. 

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yes.  But we need to do something to get out of this four and freaking eleven rut.

If it doesn't work, though, the OP is taking up residence in the SabreSpace dungeon with GoDD.

D4rk made me do it. I'm a (mostly) innocent bystander here.

You old folks and your rules...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Montreal and Islanders probably have easy wins tonight so a Sabres loss most likely puts them in 9th. That would reaaalllyyyy be a downer and a big reality check for this GM.

Do you honestly think that Bots needs a reality check? 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What I mean is that he will have to decide if it will be worth giving up possible future assets to try and make the playoffs this year or if he stays patient and fixes the 2nd line over the Summer. I vote for waiting one more year to see what another offseason brings as I think this team is too talent depleted to make it in the top 8 any time soon. I really do not think they leap back into a spot once they lose it...which could be as early as tonight. 

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

What I mean is that he will have to decide if it will be worth giving up possible future assets to try and make the playoffs this year or if he stays patient and fixes the 2nd line over the Summer. I vote for waiting one more year to see what another offseason brings as I think this team is too talent depleted to make it in the top 8 any time soon. I really do not think they leap back into a spot once they lose it...which could be as early as tonight. 

I don't think Botterill has any plans to try to push this team into the playoffs. I suspect that he laid out goals for this team at the beginning of the season and his plan isn't going to change just because they appeared to be exceeding those goals. He has always stated that trades for rentals aren't in the cards and I would expect that to continue to be the case. If he makes any moves this season it will be for younger players on contracts he can control. Can't be missing the forest for the trees.

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Was suggested, but I don’t think PA gets up that early.  Golden Girls isn’t on ‘til noon.

I was commenting on the assertion of "We all agreed", not who would start the thread.

I feel fairly confident that we've never all agreed, on anything here.  ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No Eichel tonight or versus Boston on Saturday 

Not sure how much more I will be able to stomach if this triggers another lengthy losing streak....I may just step away for a bit as I have a baaad feeling that not only will Montreal and the Isle pass us tonight, but Florida in due time as well. 

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Not sure how much more I will be able to stomach if this triggers another lengthy losing streak....I may just step away for a bit as I have a baaad feeling that not only will Montreal and the Isle pass us tonight, but Florida in due time as well. 

See ya.

Don't forget to write.  Stop by for a coffee anytime ... my treat.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Invisible is a significant improvement on what we've seen from him lately.  

He's been unquestionably worse on the right side, posted about it with supporting metrics a few days ago, yet Housley sticks with it. He's clueless. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm sure he realizes now in retrospect how baffling a decision it was to go into the season 1 injury away from a barren wasteland at centre ice. This is a strike. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I don't think Botterill has any plans to try to push this team into the playoffs. I suspect that he laid out goals for this team at the beginning of the season and his plan isn't going to change just because they appeared to be exceeding those goals. He has always stated that trades for rentals aren't in the cards and I would expect that to continue to be the case. If he makes any moves this season it will be for younger players on contracts he can control. Can't be missing the forest for the trees.

That pesky 12 straight seasons without a playoff series win forest. This team has no problem finding that forest, they've been wandering through it for over a decade. 

This isn't snark directed at you, but Botterill's apparent plan. If the playoffs weren't the goal this season, that means Botterill was aiming for playoffs in his 3rd season? 4th? Didn't Murray joke about 5 year builds? This franchise has been continually kicking the can down the road and people continue to buy in. Botterill is kicking the can down the road. The Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, and have already played in 4 playoff series since. The Sabres haven't played in one since before they were a team. 

Botterill needs to get this team to the playoffs this season. Find a way, it's his job. The young players need that success for their psyche, it's time (hell, I do, too). And it's more important than a couple of draft picks, if it comes to that. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.