GDT - Florida Panthers @ Buffalo Sabres - January 3, 2019 - 7:00 PM

Samson's Flow

Thompson has so many tools. If Reinhart was a centre, this interests me:

Sheary Eichel Nylander/Olofsson 

Skinner Reinhart Thompson

Rodrigues Mittelstadt Okposo

Sobotka Larsson Girgensons

Everything comes back to having an O’Reilly level #2 centre who can help maximize Thompson and the rest of our skill on the wing.

9 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Ok's was a Penalty, he hooked his blade down over top of his opponents stick... I have had that penalty called on me in beer league last year.  It's the new standard.  That being said hate that Penalty... If you just put your blade flat over top of the opponents stick it is not a penalty.... just saying.   Watch the replay, KO inverts his stick.

It's called a "stick press", but KO got too close to the hands.   If he comes down hard on the shaft closer to the blade then he's fine, but he starts up at the hands... right call.

I had no problem with any of the calls.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I hate to be cynical (teehee), but if I had to guess, Phil didn't know or forgot that you can challenge that play. Rob and Rick didn't know, and they temporarily convinced me that the play couldn't be reviewed.

I think it was better than even odds that the call is overturned. I suspect that the ref from his angle didn't catch the crosscheck, only seeing that Okposo was already falling.

Did the Earth stop spinning?  You and I are in agreement without going through 2 years of discussion?  Stop the mother ####### presses.  ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not soft as in lacking toughness, soft as in lacking urgency, or authority.

Are you kidding?  You can lay this accusation at about half the team or more every night.

Frankly, I don't think you're appreciating the difference between a lazy player and a good player here.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Thompson has so many tools. If Reinhart was a centre, this interests me:

Sheary Eichel Nylander/Olofsson 

Skinner Reinhart Thompson

Rodrigues Mittelstadt Okposo

Sobotka Larsson Girgensons

Everything comes back to having an O’Reilly level #2 centre who can help maximize Thompson and the rest of our skill on the wing.

Tage is listed in several places as a center. Not in a Nathan Gerbe are you smoking crack kinda way but legit. 

Just saying....

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Is it out of line to want to see Tage on the top line?  I'd say top 6 but after Jack, Sam and Jeff, there really isn't much there. 

Yes. Tage is still an albatross in his own end and at any sort of puck possession. Putting him with Eichel would mean Eichel would effectively never get any zone time as soon as he passes it to Tage

9 minutes ago, ... said:

Are you kidding?  You can lay this accusation at about half the team or more every night.

Frankly, I don't think you're appreciating the difference between a lazy player and a good player here.

Frankly, I think the term lazy is over used in hockey a ton. Minus Thomas Vanek, I don't think we've had too many players that were lazy on the ice. Off of it, for sure but when I see posters calling Sam lazy, I think the person being lazy is doing the typing. Sam plays a game where reading and reacting are so integral to his success, that he'll be perceived as lazy where he's just identifying where to go for the best chance at success. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit but it's what I see. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just wanted to pop in here to say that Skinner's first goal last night was incredible; it literally made me scream "woh!" out loud such that my girlfriend in the other room came over to see what the matter was.

He engaged and beat like 4 guys in little 1 on 1 battles with "compete" off the charts, then displayed his typical Mike Bossy-esque finishing ability with a snipe to the upper corner.

This dude is more special than Reinhart, and we didn't tank an 82 game season to get him.  

Makes you wonder.  Then again, we never have Eichel or Lidstrom 2.0 without tanking, so there's that.

Edited by Kruppstahl

39 minutes ago, ... said:

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence 

I don’t think Dahlin is lazy and I do think he’s good. I also think his flaws are all about being 18 and that his skills are such he will soon be great.

None of that changes the fact that over the past few weeks he’s been making too many errors.

It’s no different than the learning curve Eichel went through from being awesome for an 18-year-old to simply awesome.

Edited by dudacek

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

Frankly, I think the term lazy is over used in hockey a ton. Minus Thomas Vanek, I don't think we've had too many players that were lazy on the ice. Off of it, for sure but when I see posters calling Sam lazy, I think the person being lazy is doing the typing. Sam plays a game where reading and reacting are so integral to his success, that he'll be perceived as lazy where he's just identifying where to go for the best chance at success. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit but it's what I see. 

How has this gone from Dahlin to Samson?

4 minutes ago, ... said:

How has this gone from Dahlin to Samson?

Seemed pretty easy to follow. Sam to some appears lazy because he is anticipating plays. he doesn't charge in guns blazing. Dahlin on the other hand is most assuredly not at that level and considering the number of misplays we know that. Dahlin isn't lazy, he just isn't up to NHL processing speed. 

This conversation reminds me of when I said Eichel floated and got all the push back. You know what has been almost 100% eliminated from his game this season? Floating. He always attacks or is moving. Funny how that changed so much about his already good game. Dahlin will get there but as always, 18yr old defenders mentally just aren't there. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence 

I don’t think Dahlin is lazy and I do think he’s good. I also think his flaws are all about being 18 and that his skills are such he will soon be great.

None of that changes the fact that over the past few weeks he’s been making too many errors.

It’s no different than the learning curve Eichel went through from being awesome for an 18-year-old to simply awesome.

"I love Dahlin, but his pillowy soft side is starting to grate on me."

"Not soft as in lacking toughness, soft as in lacking urgency, or authority."

Well, what is it, really, that is the issue with Dahlin - are we looking for a rookie 18-year-old to step up and be as effective as a now veteran 22-year-old Eichel because the team needs it to be so today? 

Because that's pretty unfair if that's the case.

Are we angry at circumstances? He's an awesome 18-year-old rookie, but if the world were perfect he's be an 18-year-old playing a 22-year-old's game? 

I really don't understand why it's worth noting Dahlin's errors and softer plays after a win, and when he is absolutely not the problem this team has when it loses.

For all of the improvement Eichel has made this year, we can still point out soft plays from him during games. I see one or two each game. 

I think taking Dahlin to task over his lack of experience and his age is ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Seemed pretty easy to follow. Sam to some appears lazy because he is anticipating plays. he doesn't charge in guns blazing. Dahlin on the other hand is most assuredly not at that level and considering the number of misplays we know that. Dahlin isn't lazy, he just isn't up to NHL processing speed. 

Really?  Can you direct me to the posts over the past several pages of this thread where someone said something like "Why are you talking about Dahlin and soft plays when you should be really looking at Samson and his laziness?"  I missed those posts.  It'd be great if you can help me out there.  

Edited by ...

The only thing that concerns me about this is that there was so much made about how quickly he processes the game at the draft.  Like you and others, I'm willing to excuse an 18 year old defenseman and give him a few years to iron things out, but I'd be lying if I said the thought "maybe this guy was a little overhyped" wasn't starting to creep in. 

Edited by DHawerchuk10
Left out quote i agree with the above bolded, but my take is that they aren't much to worry about.
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

The only thing that concerns me about this is that there was so much made about how quickly he processes the game at the draft.  Like you and others, I'm willing to excuse an 18 year old defenseman and give him a few years to iron things out, but I'd be lying if I said the thought "maybe this guy was a little overhyped" wasn't starting to creep in. 

There were people comparing him to Bobby Orr heading into the draft.  MAYBE he was a LITTLE, just a smidge, overhyped.

Heck, about 3 weeks ago there were people here saying he was the Sabres best defenseman.  Not that he would/will become their best D-man (my non- overhype - ever, yes, he'll be that good) but that he at that point in time was their best defenseman.

The kid is good.  He'll very likely be a Calder Finalist.  But he isn't a top liner just yet.  And that's fine.  1 year ago he was wearing a full cage at the WJC because he wasn't old enough to be allowed to wear just a visor.

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You have been pretty harsh on him this year, but you know him the best.

Well define harsh, imo im just beeing honest, i guess it depends how we all define performance. 

Ive seen Linus since youth, ive litterly seen so many games with this kid that i just know when i watch him when he is in his mojo or not. Im not beeing harsh, atleast thats what i think when knowing what i know and making statement about his performance. 

Linus Ullmark is the main reason im here and a fan of Buffalo Sabres, i just want him to show the world how creepy good he really is and i honestly think he still has not found his 100% mojo yet. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

This is painful to read for my part,

The kid is 18 years old, not a single minute on US soil and ice, right into the heat and performs like he has been playing over there for quite some time. 
Rasmus Dahlin is a wonderboy, imagine if he was born in US/Canada. 

Let this season sink in, let him absorb all mistakes and lesson learned to next season.

1 hour ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I'd be lying if I said the thought "maybe this guy was a little overhyped" wasn't starting to creep in. 

Image result for dafuq gif

34 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

This is painful to read for my part,

The kid is 18 years old, not a single minute on US soil and ice, right into the heat and performs like he has been playing over there for quite some time. 
Rasmus Dahlin is a wonderboy, imagine if he was born in US/Canada. 

Let this season sink in, let him absorb all mistakes and lesson learned to next season.

Hear, hear.

I've seen plenty of mistakes. Those are to be expected -- this season and for some time beyond.

I've also seen lots of stuff that's astonished and amazed me.

I've also seen the side-by-side comparison of him and Hedman over the same period of time. Dahlin's numbers are way ahead of where Hedman was.

The kid may end up as the Sabres' best skater ever.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Well define harsh, imo im just beeing honest, i guess it depends how we all define performance. 

Ive seen Linus since youth, ive litterly seen so many games with this kid that i just know when i watch him when he is in his mojo or not. Im not beeing harsh, atleast thats what i think when knowing what i know and making statement about his performance. 

Linus Ullmark is the main reason im here and a fan of Buffalo Sabres, i just want him to show the world how creepy good he really is and i honestly think he still has not found his 100% mojo yet. 

If that's the case and you know him so well, I can't wait 'til he gets his MOJO. I've been very happy with his play so far. Do we have another "King" among us? Or a Dominator?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ... said:

I really don't understand why it's worth noting Dahlin's errors and softer plays after a win, and when he is absolutely not the problem this team has when it loses.

I think taking Dahlin to task over his lack of experience and his age is ridiculous.  

Fair enough. I think you are reading far too much into my initial comment. I also think ignoring the recent dip in his play relative to the standards he himself has set so far in his NHL career is ridiculous.

And, to be clear, Rasmus Dahlin will be great.

Edited by dudacek

16 hours ago, SwampD said:

That was a fun game.

Liked their fight tonight.

Tage was great.

Dahlin was magic.

Reinhart was,… Reinhart,… which is really good.

ERod did his job. He has a place on my team.

Just saw the highlights of the game.

Reinhart is a fascinating player. He has 40 (!) points this year, he's living up to the draft position of a 2nd overall pick. Yet I don't think the combined distance of his goals AND assists this year is more than a few feet (hyperbole, of course, but barely).

It's almost all tips and deflections and just being at the right place at the right time. It's all hockey sense. If Reinhart had half the physical tools of a guy like Eichel, he'd probably be a perennial top-10 player league wide. I don't lament that fact much though, as the player he is is still quite something.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

There were people comparing him to Bobby Orr heading into the draft.  MAYBE he was a LITTLE, just a smidge, overhyped.

Heck, about 3 weeks ago there were people here saying he was the Sabres best defenseman.  Not that he would/will become their best D-man (my non- overhype - ever, yes, he'll be that good) but that he at that point in time was their best defenseman.

The kid is good.  He'll very likely be a Calder Finalist.  But he isn't a top liner just yet.  And that's fine.  1 year ago he was wearing a full cage at the WJC because he wasn't old enough to be allowed to wear just a visor.

For my part, I don't really think so. You heard the Orr stuff a LITTLE bit towards the end, but there were also whispers that he was being UNDER hyped. That if he was Canadian, the buzz would have been close to that of McDavid. 

I also remember seeing Svechnikov ranked above him in a noteworthy draft projection. At Sabrespace of course we are all going to flood the threads with the most positive, most glowing remarks on Dahlin, but it wasn't that way, exclusively, in the wide world.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.