Robin Lehner, league leader, nice turn around season

JJFIVEOH

Most here knows I was a big fan of his, despite his shootout failures. 

I have to admit, he needed a fresh start so he needed to leave Buffalo. But I'm glad to see he turned it around. He is currently leading the NHL in both GAA and save percentage. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Why is Lehner considered to have a better save % than Laurent Brossoit, who has played 10 games?

Also: Ullmark is listed at 10 on the league leaders page of nhl.com, but he's 16th when you look at a list of all goalies. Only a couple have played a handful of games, so even if you throw out those guys, it doesn't seem to add up.

Edited by PASabreFan

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why is Lehner considered to have a better save % than Laurent Brossoit, who has played 10 games?

Also: Ullmark is listed at 10 on the league leaders page of nhl.com, but he's 16th when you look at a list of all goalies. Only a couple have played a handful of games, so even if you throw out those guys, it doesn't seem to add up.

And Ullmark has one regulation loss, Hutton has one win in his last nine games. 

I'm just going by what the league considers to be the minimum amount of games played to be on the list of leaders. 

All I'm saying is I'm glad to see him doing well. 

21 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

And Ullmark has one regulation loss, Hutton has one win in his last nine games. 

I'm just going by what the league considers to be the minimum amount of games played to be on the list of leaders. 

All I'm saying is I'm glad to see him doing well. 

Gotcha. Now I see that the minimum number of games required by the league is 12. Seems arbitrary, but whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m over caring about addicts. I’ve known enough to know that they didn’t care about me at the time. Good for him, he finally chose to not be an aashole.

He’s not a Sabre anymore so I hope he loses every game he plays from here on out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m over caring about addicts. I’ve known enough to know that they didn’t care about me at the time. Good for him, he finally chose to not be an aashole.

He’s not a Sabre anymore so I hope he loses every game he plays from here on out.

I agree.  He also stole $4m from the Pegula family last year.   He is an opponent in the Eastern conference and took 2 points from us yesterday.  He is the enemy.   I wish no ill or good will.  I owe nothing more than ambivalence.

48 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don't like him more or less just because he's an addict. But, having been through the restaurant business, I the struggles of an addict and I'm glad to see he's turned his life around. 

I'm just glad to see him doing well because I knew he had the potential to be a pretty good goaltender. Fans in BFLO weren't happy with his shootout results, but he did show signs of being a good/great goaltender. One thing I liked about him was his fiery attitude, he reminds me of guys like Hextall and Billy Smith. It's nice to see goaltenders in the league with some kind of personality when most goaltenders have turned into cookie cutters. 

• 1 month later...

Makes you wonder if whatever allowed Lehner to continue on like he was in Buffalo, but was dealt with after he left, is a Buffalo thing that perhaps affects the rest of the players in some way?  Very broad and general question, but, not without some sort of foundation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Jimminy Christmas - I just got oriented to the fact that the guy's faced a decent amount of rubber so far and has a SV% of .932.

So, FGMTM wasn't out of his tree giving away a 1st for the guy?

Oh boy, the bald faced hornets will be dive bombing now.

I had the same thoughts.  That trade  doesnt look bad if the goalie is capable of these numbers.

As ... posted, wtf is in the water here?

Just now, ... said:

Makes you wonder if whatever allowed Lehner to continue on like he was in Buffalo, but was dealt with after he left, is a Buffalo thing that perhaps affects the rest of the players in some way?  Very broad and general question, but, not without some sort of foundation.

I think Lehner was mishandled by GMTM, who was way too hands-off (and liked himself a drinkypoo too), and by the time Botterill came here there was no fixing the situation. Moving on from Lehner turned out to be better for both parties.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think Lehner was mishandled by GMTM, who was way too hands-off (and liked himself a drinkypoo too), and by the time Botterill came here there was no fixing the situation. Moving on from Lehner turned out to be better for both parties.

I agree. I think this is one of the situations where both parties benefited by ending the relationship. 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:46 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

I don't like him more or less just because he's an addict. But, having been through the restaurant business, I the struggles of an addict and I'm glad to see he's turned his life around. 

I'm just glad to see him doing well because I knew he had the potential to be a pretty good goaltender. Fans in BFLO weren't happy with his shootout results, but he did show signs of being a good/great goaltender. One thing I liked about him was his fiery attitude, he reminds me of guys like Hextall and Billy Smith. It's nice to see goaltenders in the league with some kind of personality when most goaltenders have turned into cookie cutters. 

Sorry but.......

Billy Smith was a cheap shot dirtbag.

Could not stand the guy.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Oh boy, the bald faced hornets will be dive bombing now.

I had the same thoughts.  That trade  doesnt look bad if the goalie is capable of these numbers.

As ... posted, wtf is in the water here?

Well, it's by now clear that Lehner was having some serious problems in his days here. I do not lay that at the feet of "because Buffalo." OTOH ...

Just now, darksabre said:

This is interesting. And more than a little sad.

Not for nothing: If we could swap Hutton's .909 for Lehner's .932, is this team still in a playoff spot?

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, it's by now clear that Lehner was having some serious problems in his days here. I do not lay that at the feet of "because Buffalo." OTOH ...

Not for nothing: If we could swap Hutton's .909 for Lehner's .932, is this team still in a playoff spot?

Lehner works well in the NYI system because they limit shots and Lehner is good enough positionally to cover the net well and react as needed. His biggest weakness IMPO is puck tracking and rebound control. If we replaced Hutton's 909 with a 932, yes we probably are in a playoff spot. You are talking 23 less goals per 1000 shots or 2.3 less goals per 100. Considering the number of one goal games we would be in the playoffs. That said... the islanders as a team have allowed 116 less shots this season and Hutton has seen 173 more shots than Lehner.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Probably not. I think Lehner is benefiting from a better defensive situation on the Island than we have here at the moment. Plus all Housley really has to do is stop playing Hutton so much. He wore the guy out.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.