Eichel has an UBI

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Based on the practice report this morning, Housley did the exact opposite - Mitts centering the 4th line. I am more in favor of that v. throwing the kid to the first line.

Grr8 made some compelling points above.  Why not, what do we have to lose?  At least it is worth a try.  Give it a game, or two.

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Grr8 made some compelling points above.  Why not, what do we have to lose?  At least it is worth a try.  Give it a game, or two.

If Casey was showing anything I would be all for it, but I am getting more and more convinced that the 2nd line struggles has more to do with the wingers having to cover for/support Casey than a lack of talent on the wings. A lot of those struggling vets have consistently performed in the past, and I think we need to accept that our 20 year old center prospect needs more seasoning and isn't ready for 2C duties just yet.

I think it is Grigorenko/Girgensons rushing prospects all over again.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

If Casey was showing anything I would be all for it, but I am getting more and more convinced that the 2nd line struggles has more to do with the wingers having to cover for/support Casey than a lack of talent on the wings. A lot of those struggling vets have consistently performed in the past, and I think we need to accept that our 20 year old center prospect needs more seasoning and isn't ready for 2C duties just yet.

I think it is Grigorenko/Girgensons rushing prospects all over again.

That may be, but we don't know.  We do know that he has played with not good wingers.  So, lets see what he can do with good wingers.  Put him out there with Skinner and Samson and see what happens.

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That may be, but we don't know.  We do know that he has played with not good wingers.  So, lets see what he can do with good wingers.  Put him out there with Skinner and Samson and see what happens.

This is where we disagree my Nova Scotian friend. Sheary has been a fine scoring winger in his time with Pittsburgh, but suddenly he is hot garbage with us?

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

This is where we disagree my Nova Scotian friend. Sheary has been a fine scoring winger in his time with Pittsburgh, but suddenly he is hot garbage with us?

Did he not play with Crosby and / or Malkin?  I could score with those guys setting me up ... ?

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Did he not play with Crosby and / or Malkin?  I could score with those guys setting me up ... ?

I've seen the pictures. I think you give yourself too much credit. ?

More seriously, if all we have are wingers who need elite centers to score (Sheary w/ Crosby, Okposo w/ Tavares) then we are screwed. Decent centers are hard to come by, let alone elite ones.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Based on the practice report this morning, Housley did the exact opposite - Mitts centering the 4th line. I am more in favor of that v. throwing the kid to the first line.

Just that I think it "could" help his confidence more than dropping him into a 4th line role which suits him even less.

13 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

He looked pretty damn good, I was very confused when he went out 

I don't know why but I'm thinking he tweaked his back or something in the previous game. He probably rested and thought he could go but wore out as the game went on, ultimately pulling himself out. Something that the training staff could work on and he could recover enough in a few days to get back in the game, but the only prescription in the meantime is rest.

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Just that I think it "could" help his confidence more than dropping him into a 4th line role which suits him even less.

4th line isn’t going to be a role.  It’s going to be nothing more than minutes played and who he’s on the ice against.

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't know why but I'm thinking he tweaked his back or something in the previous game. He probably rested and thought he could go but wore out as the game went on, ultimately pulling himself out. Something that the training staff could work on and he could recover enough in a few days to get back in the game, but the only prescription in the meantime is rest.

I think he crashed into the net pretty hard in the Boston game so that’d make sense with back or ribs. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, bob_sauve28 said:

I sure hope Bailey gets another opportunity

He didn't get a shift in OT for the Amerks this evening.  He's done.  Guy is just missing something.

6 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

That's good...so now he doesn't even have a role on this team ?

Cool "gotcha" bro.

16 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I know that Samson would probably be the better answer at C, but what an opportunity for everyone this is. This is what most have been waiting for. Hear me out....

Some people have been "hinting" that Mitts needs better wingers for his development and the success of the team. Others have been wanting the Sabs to call-up some players from ROC. We've been talking about trades and the deadline. We're even discussing our needs in the draft. They called up CJ Smith.

Well, here's an opportunity even if it's only a few games. 

Put Mitts up on the first line (1C) and see what he can do with good wingers. Then we will all know for sure if he's ready or not. I know he's not projected to be a 1C but even a 2C should be able to "fill-in" for a game or two. It might even build his confidence if it works out ok(yes i know it could hurt as well) an JBot, HCPH, and the fans get to see what we have.

If he looks terrible we can change to Sam, but if they're so content with his progress so far that they haven't done anything more than juggle some inadequate wingers trying to solve the 2ndary scoring issue, then give the kid the chance for a game or two. No one seems to expect us to win without Jack anyway so why not experiment.

It's also a chance to bring up a Nylander or Olafsson just to find out how their progress is going. The call-ups also give JBot an evaluation tool for trades and to showcase some players. You know the fans want too see some of these kids right now and now there is the opportunity to evaluate AND maybe find a way to right the ship. I agree that some of the players in ROC "may" not be ready yet, but alot of us thought that about Pilut too.

Just my opinion on this great opportunity to experiment without that "great expectation" over our heads.

Would like to hear some input but will get the timbers and nails ready too. I don't expect this to be a long term thing as Phil said he didn't think so either, so why not?

Not a fan of moving Mittelstadt to centering Skinner & Reinhart & actually like him getting the sheltered 4th line minutes.

Because, from what I've seen, Casey's issue isn't so much who he's playing with as much as who he's playing against.  If he's having the issues with time & space with who he has been playing against (mainly the other team's 2nd line & D) currently; giving him stiffer competition will not make his life any easier.

He started out looking OK, but was getting better the 1st 1/4 of the season.  He seems to be regressing a bit, but giving him a lighter load could help there.  The problem is the timing of it.  They're looking to give him easier usage when everybody's role just got tougher.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

It's also a chance to bring up a Nylander or Olafsson just to find out how their progress is going. The call-ups also give JBot an evaluation tool for trades and to showcase some players. You know the fans want too see some of these kids right now and now there is the opportunity to evaluate AND maybe find a way to right the ship. I agree that some of the players in ROC "may" not be ready yet, but alot of us thought that about Pilut too.

Just my opinion on this great opportunity to experiment without that "great expectation" over our heads.

Would like to hear some input but will get the timbers and nails ready too. I don't expect this to be a long term thing as Phil said he didn't think so either, so why not?

First there is not an A in Olofsson. The only other vowel in his first or last name is an i in Victor (sorry pet peeve).

Second and far more important, if this has any impact on Botts decision as GM then I am concerned for him. He should only be bringing up those players if he thinks they are ready. Otherwise it is a waste of time. Considering how patient he has been with them, I would guess he isn't ready to see them. Nylander I think needs this year in Rochester. Olofsson probably needs it too. Pilut was the SHL defender on the year, I thought he could make the team out of camp. Bottom line is that they don't have roster spots by design for the kids. This really is a growth and development year for most of them. Until we see a trade or injuries, I think there will be few callups. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

First there is not an A in Olofsson. The only other vowel in his first or last name is an i in Victor (sorry pet peeve).

Second and far more important, if this has any impact on Botts decision as GM then I am concerned for him. He should only be bringing up those players if he thinks they are ready. Otherwise it is a waste of time. Considering how patient he has been with them, I would guess he isn't ready to see them. Nylander I think needs this year in Rochester. Olofsson probably needs it too. Pilut was the SHL defender on the year, I thought he could make the team out of camp. Bottom line is that they don't have roster spots by design for the kids. This really is a growth and development year for most of them. Until we see a trade or injuries, I think there will be few callups. 

Oh, I agree. Only, aren't we to the point where injuries (and lack of middle 6) are currently dragging them down? Eichel, Girgs,Wilson.

I was just thinking of the opportunity to get a "look" for a couple games just to see. If Jack is out a couple games do you expect this team to flourish without him? It could be a good wake-up call for the team but I don't think it is reality. 

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.